Seattle Signing

Moose

So I just got back from the Seattle Book signing and I wanted to share the question that I asked Brandon.

Q: Has Hemalurgy been used on another planet besides Scadrial?

A: Yes it has. Brandon did not want to give out any more details about who was getting spiked or if the spiking was successful.

I was there too, and I asked a few Cosmere questions. I didn't record any of this, and what I'm reporting here, both in my questions and his answers, (particularly his answer to the first question) are kind of paraphrased, but this is accurate enough. (Note: Mistborn and Way of Kings spoilers ahead.)

Me: You've said that Splintering a shard is essentially the same thing as the shattering of Adonalsium, repeated on a smaller scale.

Brandon: Yeah.

Me: And a while ago, someone asked you if Splintering was permanent or reversible, and you said that it can be reversed.

Brandon: Yeah.

Me: And shard holders tend to take the name of the shard they hold. So you've got Sazed, who goes by "Harmony" now, after taking up Ruin and Preservation. That makes me wonder, does he hold two shards... or one?

Brandon: You could really answer that either way. The distinction is a really subjective one, and you could say that he's holding both shards, or that he holds one single Harmony.

Me: So, according to King Taravangian, the... erm... I don't actually know the name for it, the uh, death-babbling phenomenon...

Brandon: Death rattles.

Me: OK, death rattles have been going on since about the time the Parshendi were first discovered. Soon after this, King Gavilar was killed, and he said something that sounds kind of nonsensical. Was that him talking, or someone else?

Brandon: No, that was Gavilar.

Me: All right. And related to that, sometimes some little concepts kind of... cross worlds. When Miles [from The Alloy of Law] died, who was talking there? Him, or someone else?

Brandon: Wow, that's a really excellent question. And I'm afraid I'm going to have to RAFO that.

Me: Aww... figures.

Also, I overheard him saying to anther fan that all magic on Sel is essentially programming, and building up a complex Aonic effect or an intricate Forgery works just like writing code. (As a computer programmer myself, I found that pretty cool.)

Please don't double post. Use the Edit button instead. Thanks!

Edited by Rubix
Double post