Hemalurgy can transfer any Investiture -
Explanation of Investiture
Investiture is the term that the AofL Ars Arcanum is using for a magic system or power. There may be more to it but that is how it is being used in this theory.
Reasoning behind theory:
1. In all cases Investiture is genetic
- You must be from the right planet/area of the planet to access the Investiture.
- Only those with Arelon blood can become Elantrians
- Only people from Nathis can give away breath etc.
- Only those with noble blood become Allomancers.
2. All of the Investitures we have seen but two(Aons, Feruchemy) demonstrably require you to act in line with the intent of the shard to gain initial access to the Investiture.
- Allomancers -snap when they are Preserving something(usually their own life).
- Feruchemists -we don’t know anything about the snapping/activation process.
- Elantrians -while not confirmed it is suspected that they must be Devoted to something.
- Awakeners must be Endowed with the power by others.
- Surgebinders must demonstrate sub-attributes of Honor to attract a spren.
3. Hemalurgy does not require a person to have fulfilled the intent requirement of the Investiture they are gaining to gain access to an investiture. This is replaced with the Intent of Ruin.
- An Inquisitor never has to act to preserve something to snap. The power just works.
4.Hemalurgy does not require a person to have fulfilled the genetic requirement to gain access to an investiture.
- Those born without Allomantic or Feruchemical abilities can gain it with a spike.
5.The author in the Ars Arcanum does not seem to separate the metallic arts from other Investiture as much as we seem to.
6. Investiture is a Spiritual Attribute.
- There is a Feruchemical power that can store Investiture. This Feruchemical power is noted as an Investiture affecting the Spiritual in the Ars Arcanum.
- Speaking of allomancy the essay in the AofL Ars Arcanum says
The actual outlet of the power is not chosen by the practitioner, but instead is hardwritten into their Spiritweb
7.Hemalurgy takes a part of a persons Spiritweb and transfers it to another person.
- From the Ars Archanum in AofL
Though many throughout history have maligned it as an "evil" art, none of the Investitures are actually evil. At its core, Hemalurgy deals with the removing of abilities --or attributes-- from one person and bestowing them on another. It is primarily concerned with things of the spiritual realm and is of the greatest interest to me. If one of these three arts is of great interest to the Cosmere is is this one. I think there are great possibilities for its use.
Given the points above this should allow any Investiture to be moved from one person of any genetic background to another of any other genetic background. The focus requirements would still apply however. You would need to know the Aons to use elantrian type powers, or the commands to awaken etc.
*Edited for clarity
Edited by discipleofhoid, 10 November 2011 - 10:30 AM.