Making a setting 05 - Choice of Worlds - Planets in the Triarku system - [POLL CLOSED]

Ixthos

Link to other topics in this series:

[POLL CLOSED] 

RESULTS:

602f6d36cecd8_hotandcoldplanetsinTriarku.thumb.png.50291ef4034c2fae6640e9b4d4322a54.png

Initial planets in the solar system are at least one hot planet close to the stars at the centre of the system, an inner asteroid belt, Chrysmal and its moon, at least one gas giant orbited by several moons, and an outer asteroid belt.

Note that all the planets described here are the inhabited ones, so where human civilisations can occur, though some of the aliens will make use of other planets, moons, further out.

So the lowest number of planets and human habitable moons in the system are five (one hot planet, Chrysmal, and three gas giant moons), while the highest number is eight (an additional hot planet and two more moons). This does not cover outposts such as those in Moro, Chrysmal's moon, the portal moon construct, and so forth.

Some things to bare in mind:

• If there is more than one hot planet, and / or more than one gas giant, the centre hot planet will become a major hub due to it being the closest planet on average to every other one, otherwise it will be a mostly independent city state

• If multiple gas giants are chosen then the habitable moons will be spread across the closer two, while if the third is included it will mainly be settled by some of the aliens

• Moro, the moon around Chrysmal, is mainly an outpost used by the nations of the other planets, and so isn't a permanent settlement or civilisation.

• Chrysmal is a planet which is very similar to Earth, and is at the crossing stage from steampunk to dieselpunk, though they haven't yet invented rockets. It is divided, but less so than the other planets in the Triarku system.

• The other planets that are the hot planet and the gas giant moons are advanced in many ways technologically, but have started to stagnate in some areas.

• Each planet has multiple nations, so no single planet has a single government, and indeed on each planet there is often at least one war occurring between different nations at any one time. If Chrysmal were to become aware of the others and start a war, it might find it has some allies, and would not face a unified front.

Edited by Ixthos

• 2 weeks later...

So far the hot planet part of the poll has one hot planet and two planets as neck and neck. If they stay close I might set them as a binary planet. That would be thematically appropriate and match some other elements in the story.

Also, once I close the poll and post the setting info should I include some sketches of the aliens and regions in the system? 

On 1/29/2021 at 1:15 AM, Ixthos said:

So far the hot planet part of the poll has one hot planet and two planets as neck and neck. If they stay close I might set them as a binary planet. That would be thematically appropriate and match some other elements in the story.

Also, once I close the poll and post the setting info should I include some sketches of the aliens and regions in the system? 

Here's an idea, the binary planets are tidally locked to the sun, so one is constantly eclipsed, and the other is normally tidally locked. 9ne wouldn't be as hot of course, but it would be interesting. 

20 hours ago, The Unknown Order said:

Here's an idea, the binary planets are tidally locked to the sun, so one is constantly eclipsed, and the other is normally tidally locked. 9ne wouldn't be as hot of course, but it would be interesting. 

Interesting idea, though that would imply that one of them is in the L1 point of the other which would make the orbit unstable. I might be able to say it remains stable due to the Benefactors, but I'd like to reduce their impact on the solar mechanics of the system. Something that might work in a similar way is if they orbit one another in a plane that is orthogonal to their orbit around the binary stars, and then they remain tidally locked to both one another and to the binary stars, so think of it as they orbit one another while keeping the same face facing one another, while their "north" poles always face towards the stars, and their "south" poles always face away - that could then also tie to your idea of the eclipsed planet being cooler. I do like your idea though :-)

2 hours ago, Ixthos said:

Interesting idea, though that would imply that one of them is in the L1 point of the other which would make the orbit unstable. I might be able to say it remains stable due to the Benefactors, but I'd like to reduce their impact on the solar mechanics of the system. Something that might work in a similar way is if they orbit one another in a plane that is orthogonal to their orbit around the binary stars, and then they remain tidally locked to both one another and to the binary stars, so think of it as they orbit one another while keeping the same face facing one another, while their "north" poles always face towards the stars, and their "south" poles always face away - that could then also tie to your idea of the eclipsed planet being cooler. I do like your idea though :-)

That's much what I meant the same sides always faces each other and the inner planet always eclipses the outer planet. 

59 minutes ago, The Unknown Order said:

That's much what I meant the same sides always faces each other and the inner planet always eclipses the outer planet. 

What I mean for my example is that they both are equally far from the binary stars, rotating in a plane orthogonal to the plane or rotation, so imagine if the Moon and the Earth's orbit was rotated 90 degrees. I'll attach an image to explain.

601d8eb16f350_2021-01-31-2021-02-05-Possiblehotplanetsorbits.thumb.jpg.727f71ebb5e3fdee6653417ba8361097.jpg

1 hour ago, Ixthos said:

What I mean for my example is that they both are equally far from the binary stars, rotating in a plane orthogonal to the plane or rotation, so imagine if the Moon and the Earth's orbit was rotated 90 degrees. I'll attach an image to explain.

601d8eb16f350_2021-01-31-2021-02-05-Possiblehotplanetsorbits.thumb.jpg.727f71ebb5e3fdee6653417ba8361097.jpg

That's cool, it does remove the Eclipse aspect, but it still looks interesting. 

1 minute ago, The Unknown Order said:

That's cool, it does remove the Eclipse aspect, but it still looks interesting. 

Well it is just a preliminary idea, and I really like your idea as well. I might use your idea, and even if I don't I might have later stories involving some characters using the portal moon to reach another solar system - or finding a way to ride a soul horse through the nanoscale city to another solar system, something otherwise thought impossible - which uses your idea. Either way the idea of a planet perpetually in the eclipse is a great idea, and I'll definitely try to make use of it in something :-)

Just now, Ixthos said:

Well it is just a preliminary idea, and I really like your idea as well. I might use your idea, and even if I don't I might have later stories involving some characters using the portal moon to reach another solar system - or finding a way to ride a soul horse through the nanoscale city to another solar system, something otherwise thought impossible - which uses your idea. Either way the idea of a planet perpetually in the eclipse is a great idea, and I'll definitely try to make use of it in something :-)

Thank, your idea is cool and makes more sense with a binary star system. 

Hi guys, I'm going to leave the poll open for a little longer and I'm hoping to close it on the 18th. After that a few days later I'll post the background and some basic sketches of the chosen species, both human subspecies and aliens, as well as some of those that could have been, and some of their background, in a new topic. Hope you are well until then, and take care!

11 hours ago, Ixthos said:

Hi guys, I'm going to leave the poll open for a little longer and I'm hoping to close it on the 18th. After that a few days later I'll post the background and some basic sketches of the chosen species, both human subspecies and aliens, as well as some of those that could have been, and some of their background, in a new topic. Hope you are well until then, and take care!

I'm excited!

You too!

The next post is delayed a bit while I organise the notes and draw up sketches. I've gotten a lot of ideas for how the setting can develop, and I hope you all like what potentially could emerge in this story, including:

• lightning powered armoured trains

• airships with energy weapons

• dieselpunk power armour

• magical technology vs technology merged with magic

• a large torus in space that originally functioned as an FTL system, slowly being rebuilt

• a broken multiple minded hive mind slowly collecting its shattered pieces

• zombies with plants for brains

• sorcerers

• eldritch beings plotting both with and against one another

• magical ninja-knights

• space travel within the system in grumpy living starships

• people riding three-tubed-headed self-adjusting “puppies”, that also happen to be your best friend, and probably knew your grandparents

• a city smaller than a human cell stretched across multiple galaxies, inhabited by quantum waves

• said quantum waves driving around the macroscale world in spidermonkey robots

• various ecosystems consisting of both Earth native and modified Earth-native coexisting with alien life

• divergent cultures and culture-shock

• political intrigue and conspiracies

• the mystery as to the human colonies' origins and purpose

• what happened to the Others?

• war between planets and war between nations

• love and friendship across planets and between humans and human-subspecies

Hope you all enjoy :-) I'll hopefully be posting more within two months.

lightning powered armoured trains

Interesting. Could work if well done.

airships with energy weapons

Well that is nothing new.

dieselpunk power armour

Ah, the ol power armor. remember to think of cost, maintenance, how long they can be on the field before losing power, weak points, and more when you implement these. Done correctly, the presence of these could create some intense scenes (Look to Attack on Titan, which are basically meat mechas. Done really well.)

magical technology vs technology merged with magic

Always did wish more people worked with that concept. Quite the endeavor, I'll tell you.

a large torus in space that originally functioned as an FTL system, slowly being rebuilt

interesting. Could help for both World building and plot.

a broken multiple minded hive mind slowly collecting its shattered pieces

Hmm. That one might be diiffcult.

zombies with plants for brains

So last of us?

sorcerers

YOU...SHALL...NOT...PASS! (I'm sorry, this is too general to say much.)

eldritch beings plotting both with and against one another

Political games, eh? That can work well for potential allies and enemies.

magical ninja-knights

You have combined the three stereotypes, creating... something. At one point, when you keep combining things, they become something completely different

space travel within the system in grumpy living starships

Hmm. living starships. Wonder how that will work.

people riding three-tubed-headed self-adjusting “puppies”, that also happen to be your best friend, and probably knew your grandparents

BURN.

a city smaller than a human cell stretched across multiple galaxies, inhabited by quantum waves

Ah yes, the old quantum explanation. the pinnacle of science babble to explain something.

said quantum waves driving around the macroscale world in spidermonkey robots

And I thought the quantum part was the biggest issue.

various ecosystems consisting of both Earth native and modified Earth-native coexisting with alien life

And we're back to good stuff. i suggest getting some cocane if you can't think of alien life. Really helps.

• divergent cultures and culture-shock

• political intrigue and conspiracies

Nothing new, just your general world building.

he mystery as to the human colonies' origins and purpose

Mystery, eh? That is always an attention grabber.

what happened to the Others?

A group that is called something super vague and implies lots of meaning? Hmm, you are learning.

war between planets and war between nations

So just your average constant warfare.

love and friendship across planets and between humans and human-subspecies

pretty sure this messes with the whole war part above.

@Aspiring Writer thanks :-P

The main thing is execution, and how elements fit together. For example, part of the idea with the airships is they are old steampunk airships that have been modified to be dieselpunk, the bright and optimistic aesthetic being changed to one geared for war. Likewise the hive minded trying to gather its pieces is directly related to the plant zombies, the feral splinters of the hive mind produced when the FTL system was destroyed changing from symbiotic with the living to parasitic with the dead.

As for friendship across planets undermining the idea of war - and not constant war, but rather there always is a war going on somewhere, so some nations are at peace for long stretches - the idea of the humans on Chrysmal becoming friends and allies with those on other planets, and the fragmented nature of the nations both there and on the other planets within the system, means that often times humans from Chrysmal can try to undermine other humans from Chrysmal who are fighting those on the other planets, and two enemies who are fighting one another but who still respect each other and otherwise would be friends, including POWs gaining the respect of their gaolers, can add interesting dynamics to the story.

Otherwise thanks :-)