We've gone too long without high quality renditions of the Herald symbols so I decided to trace the ones printed on the introduction page for each Part in tWoK and WoR. So far, there have been only 6 glyphs depicted on the introduction pages. If anyone knows where I might find a depiction of the other four glyphs it would be much appreciated so I can get them all finished up.

Here is what I have so far. Clicking on the image links to a large png. The hyperlink connects to an svg vector file.

Betab                 Chach               Jez                   Kak                    Nan                 Shash

Honorblades_Betab_small.png Honorblades_Chach_small.png Honorblades_Jez_small.png Honorblades_Kak_small.png Honorblades_Nan_small.png Honorblades_Shash_small.png

I wasn't 100% sure which blades belonged to which Herald. What I listed above were my best guesses based on how similar they were to the KR order glyphs but if you think I have one mislabeled let me know.

Also, If you'd like a photoshop file with all six glyphs, click HERE

PS: Does anyone know if Isaac or Ben was the one that made the original designs for these?

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

Interesting - I never realized the glyphs form a ketek like the section titles do. Each glyph appears to be somewhat related to the section title's main word:

1 - Jez - Above Silence, Silence Above (Above)

2 - Nan - Illuminating Storms, Storm's Illumination (Storm? Lightning?)

3 - Chach - Dylng (Decay/Fading)

4 -

5 -

6 - Shash - Alight, Winds Alight (Alight)

7 - Beteb - Winds' Approach, The Approach (Approach)

8 - Kalak - Deadly

9 -

0 -

I guess we'll expect book 3 to have 2,3,4,3,2 structure with (Storm) (Decay) (?restoring?) (Decay) (Storm)...

Interesting - I never realized the glyphs form a ketek like the section titles do. Each glyph appears to be somewhat related to the section title's main word:

4 -

5 -

8 - Kalak - Deadly

9 -

0 -

I guess we'll expect book 3 to have 2,3,4,3,2 structure with (Storm) (Decay) (?restoring?) (Decay) (Storm)...

Kevin-Butler-Mind-Blown.gif

I can't even.

4 -

5 -

8 - Kalak - Deadly

9 -

0 -

Does this mean that, if we get the other four Herald glyphs, and if we knew the KR order each book would focus on, we could guess the section titles and endnote ketek of each book?

Does this mean that, if we get the other four Herald glyphs, and if we knew the KR order each book would focus on, we could guess the section titles and endnote ketek of each book?

Yes, though in principle we don't necessarily need the glyphs. However I don't know what the 'theme word' of the missing 4 Orders would be. Book 5 is supposed to be Dalinar's, so being Bondsmith, if it follows the pattern would be:

(bondsmith-word) (above) (storm/lightning?) (above) (bondsmith-word)

Maybe something like "unity above storms, above unity" (if we guess 'unity' is the Bondsmith keyword, and the actual kelek would likely have more linking words).

I don't know that we know what Order book 4 will be associated with (Eshonai's flashback, so we can assume Willshaper or Dustbringer by process of elimination).

Obviously all this assumes that there is in fact an underlying pattern and the future books will follow it (with two examples, it's tough to say anything for certain). Assuming it does follow the pattern, it's interesting that Kalak's word is 'deadly' (which seems out of place compared to the other words, which have clear parallels to the associated Order).

Where are you getting these "theme words"?

Well, the 'Jez' glyph is associated with the section titles 'Above Silence' and 'Silence Above' (Part I and V of TWoK). Either word could potentially be associated with the glyph (this is assuming that there's any association at all - but the pattern is suggestive) but 'Above' sounds Windrunner-like, since they're strongly associated with flying around.

In other cases, only one of the words are conserved. For example, for Beteb, it's 'Winds' Approach' and 'The Approach', which share the word 'Approach'. 'Approach' thematically seems to fit with Elsecallers, who are strongly associated with the Transportation surge and moving in general (Else - callers implies bringing someplace else to you, i.e. 'approaching').

Likewise 'Dying' is related to the theme of Decay that's associated with Dustcallers, while 'Alight' is thematically appropriate to Lightweavers. Storm's Illumination/Illuminating Storms sounds like lightning or a break in the clouds, which again seem to fit with 'Skybreakers'.  As mentioned above, I can't really fit 'Deadly' to Willshapers, but we don't really know anything about Willshapers (or it is a clue...).

It's not conclusive, but it seems very suggestive. It fits surprisingly closely if it's a coincidence.

If this is actually how those keteks work, and if they reveal major plot points (as we know), I've been grossly underestimating the amount of work that goes into them...

True. Story. The real test will be the next book. If it follows the suggested pattern, then we've REALLY got something awesome going on with these poems/section titles.

• Chaos locked this topic