Bondsmith Spren

Morsk

Their Bonding Spren  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which spren do they bond?

• They all bond the Stormfather.
    • They bind a number of special large spren, one for each Bondsmith, possibly including Cusicesh and the Nightwatcher.
    • They bond something we haven't seen. Dalinar binding the Stormfather was not the normal way it works.
  2. 2. Can there be more than 3?

• Yes. 3 is a typical number, but not a special number.
    • No. 3 is a special number.

This is the epigraph:

But as for the Bondsmiths, they had members only three, which number was not uncommon for them; nor did they seek to increase this by great bounds, for during the times of Madasa, only one of their order was in continual accompaniment of Urithiru and its thrones. Their spren was understood to be specific , and to persuade them to grow to the magnitude of the other orders was seen as seditious.

—From Words of Radiance, chapter 16, page 14

There's another thread with a theory on this. I wanted to create a poll though.

Vote before reading my own take if you want.

That they could "increase this by great bounds" but didn't seek to tells me that 3 isn't special. It doesn't say they can't increase it, or even that they don't seek to. Only that they don't do it by much.

The "was" in "their spren was" makes it singular, so they all share one spren. Also I just think it's weird for them all to get the same 2 Surges from wildly different spren.

Edited by Morsk

i think the stormfather could offer any of the surges and picked the best to suit Dalinar there is probably a normal spren to give that bond other then the stormfather but you don't have that option for the vote

that's what I thought. Because the stormfather is what's left of Honor not really a spren.

Spren are the collective cognitive representations of peoples beliefs.  I believe there are Three 'god' spren out there.  We have evidence of a belief in Three gods from the past (Dalinar's Vision with the midnight essences).  We know three seems linked to bondsmith somehow (remember the info in the epigraph came after the Recreance so its likely been tainted or altered) and Bondsmith primary divine attribute is Pious.  The Stormfather and Nightwatcher are likely two of these 'god' spren.  I'm not sold on Cusciesh being the third, though its possible.  We know spren come in many sizes so just because he is big and unique doenst mean he is on the same level as the Stormfather or Nightwatcher.

True. But spren this large are not exactly common, and I am not sure if a single city's population believing that some random spren was their protector would be enough to transform this spren into Cusicesh the Protector. Because this is the only scenario I can think of where Cusi is not a godspren, but is this massive. 

This, of course, assumes that spren size is a function of people's beliefs and ideas - which is reasonable, I think (considering that spren are living ideas; so the more people believe the idea strongly, the more powerful the spren - which could translate to size), but not guaranteed. 

i think the stormfather could offer any of the surges and picked the best to suit Dalinar there is probably a normal spren to give that bond other then the stormfather but you don't have that option for the vote

I added a choice for this.

• Chaos locked this topic