The Cryptics' "Heads"

Argent

Here's a quote from the Reddit Q&A about Shades and the Truthspren:

As for the symbols making up the heads of the cryptics, those are not glyphs. But it's possible you would recognize them...

This is something I haven't seen discussed. The only visual references I can find somewhat quickly read:
A figure that wasn’t really there, a figure with a sharp, angular symbol hovering above its collar instead of a head.
Each had a different symbol, twisted and unfamiliar to her, hanging above a neckless torso.
The figures were almost to her, angular not-heads hanging horrifically where faces should have been.
To the beings standing around her—twisted symbols unconnected to their uneven shoulders. Those not-heads had unreal angles, surfaces that melded in weird, impossible ways.
--- Shadesmar (Ch. 45)

All in all, not terribly helpful. There might be something in Elhokar's chapters, but I can't find it now. The angularity at least should rule some options out. My gut feeling is that there will be no relation to the other Cosmere worlds (and least of all Scadrial whose symbols often, if not always, feature an arc). We know they are not glyphs - so no straightup Roshar writing. Could they be something from the http://coppermind.net/w/images/TWoK_Front_Endsheet.jpg'>WoK endsheet?

All in all, not terribly helpful. There might be something in Elhokar's chapters, but I can't find it now. The angularity at least should rule some options out. My gut feeling is that there will be no relation to the other Cosmere worlds (and least of all Scadrial whose symbols often, if not always, feature an arc). We know they are not glyphs - so no straightup Roshar writing. Could they be something from the WoK endsheet?

I have seen it discussed, in fact - somebody mentioned Feruchemical symbols, for example.

I don't think they are from the endsheet - there are almost no symbols there that I would call "angular", certainly nothing with unreal surfaces.  Maybe we would recognize them from our world? Like impossible objects? I think we will learn more from WoR :)

I have seen it discussed, in fact - somebody mentioned Feruchemical symbols, for example.

I don't think they are from the endsheet - there are almost no symbols there that I would call "angular", certainly nothing with unreal surfaces.  Maybe we would recognize them from our world? Like impossible objects? I think we will learn more from WoR :)

This makes more sense to me. It's not like there are many symbols from Cosmere that we'd recognize. Brandon only gave us so many and I can't think of one with "unreal angles".

This makes me think of how hypothetical 4th dimensional objects would appear to us. Google hypercube and you'll see what I mean. Could be due to the "cryptics" existing more in the cognitive realm and humans who are primarily in the physical realm can't really "see" them. Similar to the story "flatland".

I don't know, all spren are Cognitive beings. I am not sure the Cryptics are special enough to warrant such treatment - but then again, they might a little more special than regular spren, being tied to Soulcasting and all (which is a little weirder form of Surgebinding to begin with).

My first thought was that they might look something like Aoens, not exactly Aoens because those are unique to that particular area of Sel, but perhaps a similar structure.

Although after you mentioned impossible shapes, like perhaps an Escher drawing that does seem more likely to me.

• Chaos locked this topic