Stomlight Infusion and Shardplate

Miyabi

I went to a signing a week or so ago in Idaho Falls. While there I asked Brandon a question about Shardplate. I asked if it were left out in a Highstorm in the Plate itself would become infused with Stormlight. Brandon responded with one of his cryptic answers saying:

"No, the Plate would not become infused with Stormlight. Now, you can take that to mean it can't hold Stormlight or that it already has Stormlight locked away inside it."

I know it's been a while since I've been around, but I felt this should be shared.

Thanks! I'm Miyabi I've been around since... well since just after Elantris was published and we were on the old forums. lol. I used to be fairly close with the admins around here and was helping with all this stuff in the beginning, but life got too crazy.

The only thing now is to figure out if this is a red herring comment or if there is some validity to it.

From what I understand, Plate is powered by gems infused with Stormlight, not inherently powered by Stormlight itself. I'm guessing that if you left a suit of plate fitted with dun gems in a storm, when it was over the gems would be infused and so the plate would power up. But it's the gems, not the plate, that act as the "batteries".

Right, but when I asked the question I was careful about the way I phrased it. The exact question I asked was, "If you left Shardplate out in a Highstorm, would the Plate itself, not the the gemstones used to power it, become infused with Stormlight." So my question and his response were talking about the Plate specifically.

• Chaos locked this topic