Well hello there!

JamesW

Greetings!

I'm new to these forums, but felt it was time to join up and visit here.

About me: I'm an avid fantasy reader (well duh I'm here), I'm a math guy, just about to graduate college and then go teach math, a carpentry person and aspiring novelist.

Favorite books (No particular order):

Name of the Wind, The Way of Kings, The Black Company books, Riftwar Saga (All of them)

Favorite math:

Abstract Algebra, Differential Equations, Number Theory, mostly anything where you don't have to compute stuff

Did carpentry for four years (Through high school), helped build a house, built a few cabinets, a bed and chessboards.

Stopped playing most video games to start writing just recently, hoping to make headway into that front.

Anyways, info dump on me complete, just tossing myself out there saying hey to everyone

And if the forum name wasn't enough, name is James.

Looking forward to meeting everyone here.

James

Well I made Chessboards to go with the chess sets that I had received as a gift the year previously, I'll post pics of them sometime later this week if you're interested.

Also, yeah I'm a math geek, but I'm one of those geeks who hates to actually do calculations, for me thats kinda like cooking, you get a formula (recipe) and some numbers (ingredients) and you kinda mix them all together and what comes out is either right (You didn't burn the pie, yay) or wrong (You cooked something gross, like cake).

And I didn't find Brandon's work until he picked up the Wheel of Time series. I'd been a longtime fan of the series, and figured that if they chose Sanderson to finish the series, then he must produce quality work. I was not at all disappointed when I started reading through his work.

I also grew interested in writing just from listening to the podcast, I didn't find out about that until late (Season 5 or so) but when I did I started listening to the episodes all the way through.

James

Yeah i like theories and proofs and the logical arguments that support them.

Also choosing cake as the food to dislike should have given me a 50/50 chance of gathering support for it. It'd be better then me admitting that i don't like bacon. Oops.

Welcome James!

Also choosing cake as the food to dislike should have given me a 50/50 chance of gathering support for it. It'd be better then me admitting that i don't like bacon. Oops.

how do you feel about chocolate? Whether the answer is yes or no, you win the alleigance of me or joe(fbstj). No, I did not intend for that to rhyme.

Also: Glad you are here!

how do you feel about chocolate? Whether the answer is yes or no, you win the alleigance of me or joe(fbstj). No, I did not intend for that to rhyme.

Well, I do suppose I like chocolate.

And I'm glad to be here!

Also, dhalagirl, Chessboard pics coming soon!

I'm going to have to use multiple posts, since I only have a max upload size of 500k, I'll put the pics inside of spoilers, just to avoid making the post gigantic.

I suppose the chess pieces help with the look a bit, sorry of the image quality is bad, they're from a phone.

Edit again: I can't seem to be able to post more then the single file, the attachments thing is limiting me, going to attempt to get the rest of the pictures into the thread.

James

Edited by JamesW

Main Board, closed

Chessboard 1 (Open)

This is the first one opened, it is lined with green velvet, made of Cedar, black walnut, and maple.

Chess Pieces (Black)

Chess Pieces (White)

These are the close ups of the pieces that prompted me to build this chessboard.

Chessboard 2

Chessboard 3

The second two boards aren't nearly as interesting as the first, one is a simple box with the board being the lid, the second was made and is the worst of a set of three, the other two were gifts.

Oh and here is the other chess set I use these boards for:

Green Chess Pieces (Bad guys)

Amber Chess Pieces (Good guys)

Edited by JamesW

Joe is an alien from another planet, there is no other explanation for not liking chocolate.

No, I'm a Lifeless Kandra Robot from the Future...and I have a very good reason for not liking chocolate, you're just not allowed to know....Spoilers :P

I appreciate the waffle, I shall now enjoy it's delicious, golden, flakey goodness.

Delicious, my screen needs to be cleaned though, got syrup on it and stuff.

I'll have to find some way to sooth that future Robot Kandra and get him calmed down...

• Chaos locked this topic