Shardcast: Chatting with Daniel Greene about Fantasy, Cosmere, and Rhythm of War!

This episode of Shardcast has a special guest: Daniel Greene! He runs an excellent YouTube channel with fantasy news, reviews, and sometimes some fun skits. We're chatting with him about fantasy in general, the cosmere, and Rhythm of War! There are some cosmere spoilers in this one, and we blab about Rhythm of War from 30:16 to about 1:25:09. You can just skip them using the chapters below if you prefer. And go check out his channel if you want content shorter than two hours!

We have Eric (Chaos), Ian (Weiry), Ben (Overlord Jebus), and of course, Daniel Greene on this one.

00:00 Introductions
30:16 Rhythm of War Spoilers
1:25:09 ready player two and fifth sorceress and daniel novella
1:34:40 youtube and stuff
1:43:00 what are you reading now
1:56:34 Daniel's Novella

If you like our content, support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/17thshard

For discussion, theories, games, and news, come to https://www.17thshard.com
Come talk with us and the community on the 17th Shard Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/bMAUS5c
Want to learn more about the cosmere and more? The Coppermind Wiki is where it's at: https://coppermind.net
Read all Words of Brandon on Arcanum: https://wob.coppermind.net
Subscribe to Shardcast: http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:102123174/sounds.rss
Send your Who's That Cosmere Characters to [email protected]

User Feedback

Guest Parallax

Posted (edited)

1. This was particularly welcome because after so many hours we finally got some criticism of RoW.

2. When will we get the episode on Sixth of the Dusk's sequel? All speculations about the future of Cosmere that don't include what Brandon read are kind of useless, aren't they?

3. Finally whatever Kelsier has done pales in comparison to Dalinar's crimes. I can't imagine Kelsier burning down an entire city with thousands of civilians.

Edited by Parallax

Link to comment
4 hours ago, Parallax said:

If there was a city populated exclusively by noblemen, he could have.

Link to comment
5 hours ago, Parallax said:

Well, we generally like Brandon's works :)

We're recording a Sixth of the Dusk sequel thing this weekend, but it probably won't come out until January.

Link to comment
Guest Parallax

Posted

On 12/13/2020 at 1:03 PM, Chaos said:

Well, we generally like Brandon's works :)

You might not believe me but I do like his works too! :)

However RoW is my least favorite cosmere book. With other books I could say "It was excellent except maybe for X or Y", with RoW it is flipped, it is easier to list the things I like instead. (I just learned about Brandon having a new editor for RoW which is probably related to the problems I have with this book).

On 12/13/2020 at 1:03 PM, Chaos said:

Thanks! Looking forward to it, Sixth of the Dusk is probably my favorite cosmere story (see, I like his stuff!).

Link to comment
Guest Parallax

Posted

On 12/13/2020 at 11:34 AM, ScadrianTank said:

If there was a city populated exclusively by noblemen, he could have.

If everyone is a nobleman the term kind of loses its meaning doesn't it?

Link to comment
7 hours ago, Parallax said:

You might not believe me but I do like his works too! :)

I mean, I don't really think this book is significantly different. Perfectly fine for you to disagree, of course, but I definitely think the editor had a very positive effect on the book. Brandon wrote the book he wished to write, and maybe that one is just not your jam. That's okay.

Link to comment
Guest Parallax

Posted

On 12/15/2020 at 4:37 PM, Chaos said:

As for disagreements being perfectly fine, in my initial comment I am just happy that something remotely resembling my point of view was expressed on the podcast ...

Regarding the editor, in the forums I commented how the many problems I had with RoW should have been fixed by the editor ("RoW reads like a poorly edited book" were my precise words) only then I was alerted to the change of the editor for this book.

Link to comment

Well, Kelsier is Thaidakar, leader of the Ghostbloods. And they do a lot of... questionable things.

Also, Dalinar obviously felt pain after killing them, and he regretted it. When he killed, he was emotionless, but now he feels for the ones he killed. So you can't just take any criminal or villain in the cosmere and justify their actions by "Dalinar did worse."

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Already have an account? Sign in here.