Theory: Gold works better when burned with Electrum

Cocoa

So, what got me thinking about this was Spook's observation on how well a-Tin and a-Pewter pair together, sort of like they're two halves of the same whole (not his exact words, but that seemed like the gist of it). Now, I know that's certainly not the case for all push/pull pairs, but I think for a-Gold and a-Electrum it is. a-Gold, on it own, is a very disorienting metal to burn. Your brain isn't equipped to handle existing in two self-states at once. However, we know that Atium enhances your cognitive abilities to be able to process the information you get from the atium shadows, and as near as I can figure a-Electrum would have to do something similar with your own electrum shadows. So if you burn them together, I think the enhanced cognitive abilities from a-Electrum would let you process the increased information coming in from a-Gold.

Interesting theory, and I think I'm very on board with it.

In Stormlight Archive, we have Resonances and I think we've had enough proof in SA (and enough good theories on the 17th Shard) that Resonances aren't just a Windrunner-thing, that it's reasonable to assume this would be the case for other magic systems too.

Even looking only at Scadrial, we already have two examples of the potential of a pair together being more than the sum of two halves: Tin and Pewter, and Iron and Steel. We've seen Kel and Vin do so much more than just pulling and pushing.

I think Electrum + Gold would behave similarly, then. The combination of "who could I have been" + "What could happen to me now?", (paired with the assumed hightened mental capacity, but even without) sounds interesting, to say the least.

On a sidenote, I wonder if Duralumin + Electrum could give you something like a raw, more confusing version of Sak's Abilities.

And we also know that using Zinc and Brass together allows you to have a greater degree of control over someone's emotions, even if you can mimic the other metal's effect by doing "everything but" for the emotions you want to be altered.

Like, you can make a greater difference relative to one emotion by subduing or enflaming the rest while doing the reverse to it.