A question about Adonalsium

The_Nimanator

Question

So I've been wondering, we know that Adonalsium was shattered into shards, and we know that those shards can be further splintered down. I'm curious, is Adonalsium itself a 'slice' of something bigger that was in itself broken across the universe, with Adonalsium investing itself into the cosmere star system?

If so, would the "god beyond" actually be another 'slice' of the bigger thing which would have invested a different star system with a different investiture system?

2 answers to this question

36 minutes ago, The_Nimanator said:

So I've been wondering, we know that Adonalsium was shattered into shards, and we know that those shards can be further splintered down. I'm curious, is Adonalsium itself a 'slice' of something bigger that was in itself broken across the universe, with Adonalsium investing itself into the cosmere star system?

If so, would the "god beyond" actually be another 'slice' of the bigger thing which would have invested a different star system with a different investiture system?

We don't know many details about Adonalsium, but I doubt that the God beyond is anything other than an actual, omnipotent, capital-G God. Assuming he exists. Brandon has said that he won't ever explain the God beyond:

Questioner

In Stormlight, Dalinar mentioned that <if he can die, he's no longer a god>, so to speak. And throughout the cosmere, gods died *inaudible*. Is there an omniscient, omnipotent, actual God in the cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

Is there an omniscient, omnipotent God in the cosmere? Some people believe that there is. You guys laugh about this, but I don't mean it to be a laughing thing. There are certain questions I will not answer in the cosmere, specifically because it would too much undermine some of the characters' beliefs. And I want to treat characters respectfully. So whether there is life after you pass into the Beyond, and whether there is a God of gods, an omnipotent, as we would define "monotheistic God," are questions that I don't answer, and I let the characters deal with. Because if I answer that, then the character discussions about this are meaningless. Not really, but they kind of are. So there are a couple things I won't answer about the cosmere, because the characters don't have these answers.

Questioner

<Do you know the answer>?

Brandon Sanderson

I know the answer, yes.

Arcanum Unbounded release party (Nov. 22, 2016)