Highprince Sadeas

Chicken

I've signed up because this one thing here has been bothering me far too much lately. Yes, I'm that inane.

Everyone calls Sadeas "Sadeas". His name is Torol but it's used a grand total of once in the whole book. Even his ex-buddy Dalinar calls him Sadeas, and that's to his face. On the other hand, no one calls Dalinar "Highprince/Brightlord Kholin". He's always "Brightlord Dalinar". I think bridgemen call him Highprince Kholin a couple of times near the end, but that's it.

(Another tidbit is that we don't know whether other highprinces (Roion, Vamah, etc.) are being referred to by their names or surnames, but I digress)

So what's the deal? Why does everyone, from bridgemen slaves to king himself, calls one powerful highprince by his name and the other one by his surname?

Probably because there are at least four Brightlord Kholins (Dalinar, Adolin, Renarin, and the King himself) in the warcamps, while Sadeas seems to be the only one of his house who's actually there in person. And I definite reacall Kaladin calling Dalinar either Highprince Kholin or Brightlord Kholin at least once.

Probably because there are at least four Brightlord Kholins (Dalinar, Adolin, Renarin, and the King himself) in the warcamps,

And one Brightlady as well - the King's widow.

There's also another possible issue. Dalinar has a nickname - The Blackthorn. But he's now seen as changing, becoming soft, not living up to his reputation. So it's possible that the use of his first name is partly a response to the changes that others see in him. He doesn't command the respect that he once did among the members of his warlike culture, so they use his first name (signifying a lack of respect) instead of his nickname or his surname.

On a very loosely related (and silly!) tangent...

Presumably Brightlords are "bright" because of their bright eyes (i.e. another reference to eye color along the lines of "lighteyes"). Does that mean that Kaladin should be referred to as "Darklord"?

:D

In Alethi there is no word for a lord that doesn't make reference to being a lighteyes, the two are completely synonymous. Though Darklord Kaladin has a nice ring to it.

"In corner number one we have Darklord Kaladin, slayer of Shardbearers and Radiant Knight! And in THIS corner we have...

"STORMAGEDDON, DARK LORD OF ALL!"

*cue crying baby*

I suppose no one knows much more about this. If I was a more nitpick obsessed person, I could reply with "we don't know how many brightlords there are in other highprinces' families", "Sadeas (and every other highprince) must also have a related heir somewhere in case he falls in battle" and similar arguements. But since I'm not, I'll chalk this up to an oddity in writing.

And since this thread here is alread about pointless stuff that bugs me, I could mention another one. Namely, "brightness". Why are women not referred to as "brightlady"? If there were no such thing as "brightlady" at all, I could accept it as the feminine form of "brightlord". But there is two instances of it: Shallan refers to Jasnah as such when she first meets Kabsal and once Navani thinks she's not being a proper brightlady.

I don't know why I insist on being bugged by oddest things.

Yes, "Brightness" seems to be the standard opposite to Brightlord. It's used pretty regularly.

As for the original question - it also depends very much on who's speaking - or thinking for that matter. Most times Dalinar is talked about, it's in viewpoints of people very close to him, or during his own viewpoint when speaking to someone, and those are often his equals or relatives, so they would use mostly first names.

The one thing is Sadeas calling him Dalinar, but he calls him Sadeas, so that is a little off. Maybe Sadeas doesn't like his first name... or Dalinar is a bit more formal, which would fit him.

I always thought that Sadeas was his given name, and Torol was his house name, and that it wasn't ever used in order to give the reader a more consistent name to remember him by. I can't think of how to make a glyphpair (eg. Kholin = khohk + linil IIRC) out of Sadeas, but Torol could work (torot + rolor ?).

For Brightness vs. Brightlady, I understood Brightness to be an honorific (like Sir, miss, mister, her Highness, etc...) and Brightlady to be the associated title (like Knight, etc...).

The one thing is Sadeas calling him Dalinar, but he calls him Sadeas, so that is a little off. Maybe Sadeas doesn't like his first name... or Dalinar is a bit more formal, which would fit him.

I wonder if it's simply because it might be a bit inappropriate to refer to him by his surname or rank and surname, given that it's the King's surname as well.

• Chaos locked this topic