Jax and David (Original Trilogy Spoilers)

HSuperLee

So last night I listened to the most recent Shardcast, where they were discuss their reactions to Lux. One of the things that Argent mentioned he'd like to see is Jax and David eventually meeting up in Lux sequels. He specifically compared David to being superman in the same breath, and then I realized: Jax is batman. 

He's a extremely well trained martial artist, and a self-educated inventor and technological genius, who also doesn't use guns (granted for a different reason than Batman traditionally has.) He also is in many ways more willing to be violent and harmful than David is, such as when he dropped Perrick down Lux's ladder, which reminiscent of Batman's more aggressive style of fighting. He also is driven by revenge, while David is specifically inspired by his father's dreams (and now that David's got a copy of his father that he can speak and who helps teach him about his powers, he's even got his own Jor-El.)

With this is mind, I'm now thinking the dynamic between the two characters, once they meet, might become something reminiscent of their comic counterparts. Not in the competition that the internet seems to have become fascinated with, but in the very strong sense of mutual respect as they admire each other's abilities. Frankly, I find that rather exciting, and I think a Superman/Batman dynamic between the two would be extremely fun to see.

Definitely! When reading Lux, I found Jax and David to be inversions of each other in their personalities and interests in a way: 

Jax is a lot like a Science Hero in an Action Hero's world (the multiple fights, riding a path-growing bike up a falling building in order to hit an Epic with a sword, all of the combat training), contrasting David's Action Hero with a Science Hero's demeanor (his obsessions with guns and Epics). 

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2021 at 0:21 PM, HSuperLee said:

So last night I listened to the most recent Shardcast, where they were discuss their reactions to Lux. One of the things that Argent mentioned he'd like to see is Jax and David eventually meeting up in Lux sequels. He specifically compared David to being superman in the same breath, and then I realized: Jax is batman. 

He's a extremely well trained martial artist, and a self-educated inventor and technological genius, who also doesn't use guns (granted for a different reason than Batman traditionally has.) He also is in many ways more willing to be violent and harmful than David is, such as when he dropped Perrick down Lux's ladder, which reminiscent of Batman's more aggressive style of fighting. He also is driven by revenge, while David is specifically inspired by his father's dreams (and now that David's got a copy of his father that he can speak and who helps teach him about his powers, he's even got his own Jor-El.)

With this is mind, I'm now thinking the dynamic between the two characters, once they meet, might become something reminiscent of their comic counterparts. Not in the competition that the internet seems to have become fascinated with, but in the very strong sense of mutual respect as they admire each other's abilities. Frankly, I find that rather exciting, and I think a Superman/Batman dynamic between the two would be extremely fun to see.

Makes you wonder if will be introduced to a wonderwoman type character going forward to complete the trinity.  

On 10/19/2021 at 1:32 PM, bmcclure7 said:

Makes you wonder if will be introduced to a wonderwoman type character going forward to complete the trinity.  

Well, we've got two Epic women in the story as main characters right now. Frankly though, Megan definitely is not going the Wonder Woman direction, so maybe that will be Paige's role. I mean I'd love to see her actually get more character development, and she seems to be developing powers on top of her martial arts experience, so perhaps she'll fill the role of Wonder Woman. Especially if her experience with Deathrise leads to her being the most willing of the three towards killing and violence, much like WW herself within DC's Trinity.

20 hours ago, HSuperLee said:

Well, we've got two Epic women in the story as main characters right now. Frankly though, Megan definitely is not going the Wonder Woman direction, so maybe that will be Paige's role. I mean I'd love to see her actually get more character development, and she seems to be developing powers on top of her martial arts experience, so perhaps she'll fill the role of Wonder Woman. Especially if her experience with Deathrise leads to her being the most willing of the three towards killing and violence, much like WW herself within DC's Trinity.

I could see her as wonder woman but I think it would be more interesting if they gave the achetpy to a pre calamity epic. This is because I want to see how epics react to the changes that calamity leaving brought.