bmcclure7

There's a voice In oathbringer that claims venli and saves her from becoming a fused.  At first I thought this voice was odium.  But after reading Row I'm not so sure. Could it be a void Spren? If so dose that mean tha Venli was a great void Spren in her jem heart?

Any thoughts on the voice? Is it odium or spen or something else?

11 minutes ago, bmcclure7 said:

There's a voice In oathbringer that claims venli and saves her from becoming a fused.  At first I thought this voice was odium.  But after reading Row I'm not so sure. Could it be a void Spren? If so dose that mean tha Venli was a great void Spren in her jem heart?

The book describes the voice as femalen and warm, so I want to say it was Timbre, bonding to Venli

56 minutes ago, bmcclure7 said:

Yes, it's a voidspren. In I-6 of Oathbringer, Venli stands out in the Everstorm with eight others (all of them in stormform after the Battle of Narak) following Ulim's instructions to "accept the power that comes", but alone emerges with her body not dispossessed by a Fused, but instead transformed into Envoyform - which requires a bonding voidspren.

The Fused that has taken Demid's body, Hariel, recognizes her form and says to her, "Unlike the witless Voidspren you bonded - which resides in your gemheart - my soul [the soul of a Fused] cannot share its dwelling." (Thus foreshadowing the fact that her gemheart CAN share space between the Envoyform voidspren and Timbre...!)

The voice that speaks in all-caps had the authority/power to dismiss the spirit of the Fused from trying to take her body - the warm, ancient, paternal voice saying THIS ONE IS MINE - which must be Odium, and is also what Hariel says or thinks happened: "You were to bear a soul I have fought beside for thousands of years. She was turned away, and you were reserved. Odium has a purpose for you."

However, it was apparently a last minute decision by Odium ("WHAT IS THIS?"), as He hadn't bothered to tell Ulim (addressed by the Fused as "The Envoy") about him creating an Envoyform singer. Ha ha. No wonder Ulim was annoyed.

We don't know exactly what kind of "voidspren" it is that grants Envoyform; we never see Venli talk to it the way she did with Ulim, who seems more on a par with a Radiant spren. Thus Hariel calling it a "witless voidspren" more like the regular spren that singers/listeners bond to for other forms, like painspren for warform.

However, it's bonding a voidspren (of some type or other) that grants a singer a "form of power", a gift of Odium, and the title of "Regal" instead of just a being a singer with a form (workform, nimbleform, artform, etc., who we see at work in the singer-controlled Kholinar). I suppose that means it's an act of Odium to select which "witless" voidspren to be sent to a singer, versus the normal way for a singer to assume a new form by bonding the appropriate spren of their own volition in a highstorm.

And during the False Desolation, it was something Ba-Ado-Mishram became able to do (for the first and only time), in the place of Odium.

Edited by robardin

17 minutes ago, robardin said:

Yes, it's a voidspren. In I-6 of Oathbringer, Venli stands out in the Everstorm with eight others (all of them in stormform after the Battle of Narak) following Ulim's instructions to "accept the power that comes", but alone emerges with her body not dispossessed by a Fused, but instead transformed into Envoyform - which requires a bonding voidspren.

The Fused that has taken Demid's body, Hariel, recognizes her form and says to her, "Unlike the witless Voidspren you bonded - which resides in your gemheart - my soul [the soul of a Fused] cannot share its dwelling." (Thus foreshadowing the fact that her gemheart CAN share space between the Envoyform voidspren and Timbre...!)

The voice that speaks in all-caps had the authority/power to dismiss the spirit of the Fused from trying to take her body - the warm, ancient, paternal voice saying THIS ONE IS MINE - which must be Odium, and is also what Hariel says or thinks happened: "You were to bear a soul I have fought beside for thousands of years. She was turned away, and you were reserved. Odium has a purpose for you."

However, it was apparently a last minute decision by Odium ("WHAT IS THIS?"), as He hadn't bothered to tell Ulim (addressed by the Fused as "The Envoy") about him creating an Envoyform singer. Ha ha. No wonder Ulim was annoyed.

We don't know exactly what kind of "voidspren" it is that grants Envoyform; we never see Venli talk to it the way she did with Ulim, who seems more on a par with a Radiant spren. Thus Hariel calling it a "witless voidspren" more like the regular spren that singers/listeners bond to for other forms, like painspren for warform.

However, it's bonding a voidspren (of some type or other) that grants a singer a "form of power", a gift of Odium, and the title of "Regal" instead of just a being a singer with a form (workform, nimbleform, artform, etc., who we see at work in the singer-controlled Kholinar). I suppose that means it's an act of Odium to select which "witless" voidspren to be sent to a singer, versus the normal way for a singer to assume a new form by bonding the appropriate spren of their own volition in a highstorm.

And during the False Desolation, it was something Ba-Ado-Mishram became able to do (for the first and only time), in the place of Odium.

Ohhhh, it was a voidspren? 

I thought it was Timbre :/

Oh well.

12 hours ago, bmcclure7 said:

Timbre couldn't order around a fused

I'm still not sure its Odium as he doesn't seem to do much with Venli but it could be 

Well, the next time we see a Venli POV in I-7, she reflects that "Odium's grand purpose for her meant turning her into a showpiece", telling the "version of her story" that "Odium had instructed her to tell".

Whether or not that was a direct instruction via Odiumvision or indirectly through a Fused, that should suggest that Odium was not surprised by her having Envoyform, and had a specific reason for her being in it.

Besides, I suspect that unlike bonding a "normal" Rosharan spren to take on another form, the "forms of power" that require a voidspren have those voidspren specifically sent by an act of Odium. They don't seem to occur naturally on Roshar, and is one of the reasons the Radiants of the False Desolation were so shocked to find that somehow, despite there being no "real" Desolation with the Fused and the return of Odium, that Ba-Ado-Mishram was able "to grant the parsh forms of power and Voidlight" in his absence.

Edited by robardin