Breeze’s mention of “damnation”…

dmneben

Hello! 

My husband wanted me to start reading his favorite author’s books SO I began reading the Stormlight Archive at the beginning of quarantine and after finishing the third book I moved onto Mistborn to continue learning about the Cosmere. I noticed something that I have no idea what the answer is and am coming to you all for thoughts… In Mistborn book one I read the following:

“Damnation!” Breeze swore as soldiers flooded the square.

Dockson pulled Breeze into an alley. Vin followed them in, crouching in the shadows, listening to soldiers yelling in the crossroads outside.

If “damnation” is used as a curse on Roshar and Breeze uses it as a curse in Scadrial, is Breeze a world hopper?! I’m thinking he must be since how else would he know to use that word? I didn’t see “damnation” referenced in the other Misborn books. 

This has been in the back of my mind for about a year now so I figured it was time to take it to the forum to see if anyone has thoughts or theories!

Welcome to the Shard!

Scadrial is the Cosmere's major Earth analogue (one of several example WoBs here) so expressions that would be familiar to the readers are more likely to show up with no special importance attached, simply because it's meant to feel the most 'like our world' of all the ones that Brandon is writing. Brandon also uses the word a bunch in Elantris, which predates Mistborn and in fact predates The Way of Kings Prime, much less the published version. So there's no particular reason to assume that because Breeze uses the word as a curse, that it means anything special; people use it frequently in English without intending to reference the Stormlight Archive. In fact, it only appears once in WoKP and only as a generic term, so Brandon wrote the published Mistborn trilogy (including that curse) before he decided on captial-d Damnation as a significant concept for Roshar.

Also, we know Breeze's backstory and it doesn't really leave him room to be a secret Rosharan worldhopper, nor does he exhibit the most obvious sign that would set him off as being from Roshar: Those people are really tall next to everyone else in the Cosmere, which is why one easy way to identify worldhoppers on Roshar is when they're noticeably shorter than average.

All that said, you're definitely approaching this in the right way, so keep your eyes peeled and you'll spot all kinds of interesting things, some of which are definitely intentional hints. :D

• 4 months later...