Alternative methodes to avoid Hemalurgic decay

mathiau

5 hours ago, Telantes said:

Then eat the aluminium scraps. Gotta get that iron in

There's an issue with these sentences.

5 hours ago, Telantes said:

Put spike in a box and pour molten aluminium over it. Smash open when you want to retrieve. Then eat the aluminium scraps. Gotta get that iron in

Too expansive by current Scadrial standards

8 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Too expansive by current Scadrial standards

I don't think anyone that has access to hemalurgy is strapped for cash. Plus it's only for storage, it can be reused.

Edit: Wait, I guess you cant reuse it if you eat it. You make a fair point

Edited by Telantes

In the Allomancer Jak short story,

Spoiler

Jak finds a bunch of charged Koloss spikes which were stored in an aluminium box for a long period of time and were apparently still good for making Koloss with.

(Yes, I know that Jak is an unreliable narrator, but the footnotes make it clear what bits we’re supposed to believe and what bits were made up by Jak. There’s nothing in there to suggest that the aluminium box with the Koloss spikes should be suspicious.)

So, I think that storing charged spikes in aluminium boxes is not just a workable method, but something that’s already been done by at least one person.

37 minutes ago, RedBlue said:

In the Allomancer Jak short story,

Hide contents

Jak finds a bunch of charged Koloss spikes which were stored in an aluminium box for a long period of time and were apparently still good for making Koloss with.

(Yes, I know that Jak is an unreliable narrator, but the footnotes make it clear what bits we’re supposed to believe and what bits were made up by Jak. There’s nothing in there to suggest that the aluminium box with the Koloss spikes should be suspicious.)

So, I think that storing charged spikes in aluminium boxes is not just a workable method, but something that’s already been done by at least one person.

Well, we know that there's a minimum charge of sorts, just like Wax's ear ring carries a faint charge still, and I'd assume for this all you need is four charged iron spikes, it'll make a koloss no matter the level of charge, it just won't impart as much supernatural strength as a fresh spike.

¤_¤

1 hour ago, Inquisitor #5 said:

Well, we know that there's a minimum charge of sorts, just like Wax's ear ring carries a faint charge still, and I'd assume for this all you need is four charged iron spikes, it'll make a koloss no matter the level of charge, it just won't impart as much supernatural strength as a fresh spike.

¤_¤

Okay, but if you don’t get any benefit from the aluminium, then why make the box out of aluminium at all? Whoever put those spikes there must have had a reason for using such an expensive metal, and I can’t think of any reason other than preserving the charge. 

1 hour ago, RedBlue said:

Okay, but if you don’t get any benefit from the aluminium, then why make the box out of aluminium at all? Whoever put those spikes there must have had a reason for using such an expensive metal, and I can’t think of any reason other than preserving the charge. 

Hmm, re-reading the Allomancer Jak story we don't have any actual confirmation of if the box was made of aluminium or not, Jak claims it was, but he claims a lot of things.

I'm also not sure of the logistics of how well sealed an investiture preserver box would need to be. Does it work like a faraday cage or a watertight seal? I'm inclined to believe that you'd need to have an unbroken layer of aluminium to fully seal investiture in, but I'm pretty sure the secret Soulcasting room in Kholinar wasn't aluminium plated, so...

In any case, it feels like the box might keep the charge inside itself, but I see no reason it would keep the charge in the spikes, unless it had an internal vacuum.

Now there's a thought, could a hemalurgic charge disperse in a vacuum?

¤_¤

1 hour ago, Inquisitor #5 said:

Hmm, re-reading the Allomancer Jak story we don't have any actual confirmation of if the box was made of aluminium or not, Jak claims it was, but he claims a lot of things.

It’s true that Jak is an unreliable narrator, but even unreliable narrators have rules. The reader needs to be able to tell when the narrator is lying or embellishing, and we need to be able to make a good guess at what the in-universe truth is, or the story wouldn’t work.

In the case of the aluminium box, its existence is both plausible and not contradicted by anything else in the story (like Handerwym’s footnotes). I think we can be very confident that Jak really did find an aluminium box with Koloss spikes in it.

As for the logistics of why this works ... I dunno. The way Investiture is moved about varies wildly between magic systems, and it hasn’t really been nailed down for hemalurgy.

2 hours ago, Inquisitor #5 said:

In any case, it feels like the box might keep the charge inside itself, but I see no reason it would keep the charge in the spikes, unless it had an internal vacuum.

Now there's a thought, could a hemalurgic charge disperse in a vacuum?

Aluminium Has Field effect. If not, IT would be no reason to use it as tinfoil hats (need to be whole helmet). So inside of aluminium box will be work as sort of Investiture Freezer.

Wait.

I think this is why Aluminium works in way it works. Emits vibrations what makes Investiture steady.

10 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

Aluminium Has Field effect.

Oh yeah, true.

So inside of aluminium box will be work as sort of Investiture Freezer.

Yeah, that's fair, though I personally wouldn't think that it would do anything to keep the charge in the spike, just inside the box.

I think this is why Aluminium works in way it works. Emits vibrations what makes Investiture steady.

I don't see it, that seems at odds with it blocking investiture to me.

¤_¤