The Suckling Child Rattle

Omar Alm81

"I hold the suckling child in my hands, a knife at his throat, and know that all who live wish me to let the blade slip. Spill its blood upon the ground, over my hands, and with it gain us further breath to draw."

In my re read, well actually listening to the GA, I got to the part where Dalinar touches Nale and sees him through time, here is the quote:

"Nale, cradling a child in one arm, his blade out, as dark forces crawled across a ridge nearby"

could those quotes be the same incident? Maybe sacrificing, killing, the child will keep the "dark force" at bay, "gain us further breath to draw". IDK it just caught my attention and thought to share and see.

Edited by Omar Alm81

1 hour ago, Omar Alm81 said:

could those quotes be the same incident? Maybe sacrificing, killing, the child will keep the "dark force" at bay, "gain us further breath to draw". IDK it just caught my attention and thought to share and see.

I had the same thought on a re-read, but haven’t done a deep dive looking for additional support for this theory. 

52 minutes ago, Waffles said:

makes more sense if it is Nale because he does seem to carry more archaic linguistic flourishes  than, say, Dalinar.

Pretty sure we also see him fighting with a knife a couple of times. Which seems kinda surprising given his two Shardblades

13 hours ago, mdross81 said:

I had the same thought on a re-read, but haven’t done a deep dive looking for additional support for this theory. 

Me neither, I was just listening to it right before I posted. I never subscribed to Gavinor being the child because of the word suckling. 
And as @Waffles said I think Nale makes more sense than Dalinar. Oh I didn’t think about him fighting with a knife if you could remind me please which scene/s was that.

Edited by Omar Alm81

14 minutes ago, Omar Alm81 said:

Oh I didn’t think about him fighting with a knife if you could remind me please which scene/s was that.

He uses a knife while fighting Lift in ED chapter 19. I had thought maybe there was another time too, but that’s the only one I can find right now.