Metals and Lights

apepi

So I was thinking about Raysium and anti-lights. And while it conducting anti-stormlight makes sense to me...it doing anti-voidlight doesn't.

Shouldn't the anti-voidlight and Raysium blow up? Like Raysium is a manifestation of the Odium. But it didn't, it worked.

Does this mean different manifestations of an investiture can work with it's opposite anti as they both are in different forms? Raysium and anti-voidlight works, so anti-voidmetal and void light should work without blowing up?

Theory one: Metalic Investiture and Gaseous Investiture are in different energeric stances. Like Shardblade and Stormlight are technicly the same (almost) but one could be activly used, but other coudnt.

Thoery two: it actualy reacts, but is not enough Investiture on the surface of Raisium to have dramatic effect.

Theory Three: Raisium is not actualy Raisium, but Nicrosil/Chromium.

19 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

Theory one: Metalic Investiture and Gaseous Investiture are in different energeric stances. Like Shardblade and Stormlight are technicly the same (almost) but one could be activly used, but other coudnt.

Thoery two: it actualy reacts, but is not enough Investiture on the surface of Raisium to have dramatic effect.

Theory Three: Raisium is not actualy Raisium, but Nicrosil/Chromium.

Theory four: God metal are just weird

Chaos

Is atium Invested?

Brandon Sanderson

Is atium Invested? Atium is Investiture distilled into the Physical Realm, right? So is electricity electric? Or is it--

Chaos

Well I think the question Sharders had was if it's Invested, how can people Push and Pull on it. That was the struggle.

Brandon Sanderson

Atium breaks a lot of rules, in the same way that you will see other things break rules. Atium plays weirdly. When you get distilled Investiture, you're starting like-- My kind of rule for myself is it's kind of like when you start going on the quantum level, the rules just start playing weirdly. Because it's like, what Realm does atium exist in-- is another thing. Because-- Pure Investiture like that is like a mini black hole, right? It's like existing in three Realms at once. Kind of, and things like that... There's lots of weirdness.

The writerly answer is there is lots of weirdness because when I built atium, I didn't have the rest of the cosmere built, right? And so it breaks a lot of rules that I later set up that everything else has to follow, right? So the writerly answer is we just have to accept that atium and lerasium and some of these other distilled Investiture things are going to play very weirdly with the magic systems. But that's okay. Nightblood will too, and some of these things that were built even after the cosmere was coming together.

Salt Lake City signing (Dec. 16, 2017)

Also, according to your second theory Raysium would still react with anti-voidlight even if the Raysium would be mostly unaffected, Raysium could just react very slowly with anti-voidlight though :)