Foil and liquid-solid inversion

Ixthos

First, I'm hoping Foil is an alien from an aquatic species, rather than just a world hopper from a regular world who has an underwater base. Underwater bases are cool, but Cthulhu the scholar is more so.

If Foil is an aquatic being, then, as the rules of the cognitive realm go, his planet, and wherever he is, would likely have an inverted relationship to the normal cognitive realm rules. That is to say, that would be a world where water is water, and land is land. I wonder what impact that would have on society and travel in that place?

Could be more crazy than that. If the large bodies of water are perceived differently by the inhabitants we could possibly see the ocean floor have a different cognitive aspect than the actual open water parts. Think crab people living in the bottom and fish people swimming around the open bits. But I agree. I hope foil is an aquatic being, I could also see him being a water dragon

2 hours ago, i’m in the details said:

Could be more crazy than that. If the large bodies of water are perceived differently by the inhabitants we could possibly see the ocean floor have a different cognitive aspect than the actual open water parts. Think crab people living in the bottom and fish people swimming around the open bits. But I agree. I hope foil is an aquatic being, I could also see him being a water dragon

That would be cool - and it brings to mind the same sort of possibilities as Taldain seems to imply, with the two different skies. Though now I'm also wondering how a flying species would affect the cognitive realm's tendency to flatten the space?

The picture in my mind of Foil - and I like this so much its actually got me thinking of an entire species for my setting - is a creature vaguely like an octopus, and each limb is bonded to a different aether, with Foil trying to find a way to maintain control of all of them. I like the aquatic dragon idea too, and it makes me wonder how old Foil is, and if Foil is an aquatic dragon if he came from Yolen or is the equivalent of a singer, a dragon like species related to dragons as singers related to humans.

Just now, i’m in the details said:

My next question would be why brando sando decided to name drop him now? Stormlight 5 could possibly have more of him, though I doubt it. And does this mean that the world he’s on is the Aether world? Or are Aethers a cross world phenomenon?

I'm hoping the Aethers are across several worlds, especially if I'm right about one of them - if you've read Aether of Night you know which one - which could be useful in making spaceships, though another could also still be useful for travel across worlds. It is implied there are twelve Aether types now, and we already know Aethers have been mentioned several times now in Stormlight, so this could all be to set up for when Aethers - and if Foil is heavily involved in their future impact - are important to Era 4.

I've personally also wondered which shard would best match Aethers, assuming they are related to one shard rather than being a natural manifestation which no single shard claims, though shards might be able to interfere with and produce new ones.

Just now, i’m in the details said:

Where can I read aether? And yes cross world would be neat. Don’t we know that hoid has feruchemy? Maybe it and the aethers existed before the shattering. 

You can request it in the Aether of Night topic: 

17 hours ago, i’m in the details said:

Normally the cognitive realm is two dimensional because people think of the world as maps show, rather than three dimensional as it is. Therefore, in this society, the cognitive realm could actually make height matter.