Spren Reproduction [discuss]

Xaladin

So, this is a big curiosity of mine, and when I went to the coppermind article on spren, I just have to say HOLY CRAP that’s a long wiki page, with over 200 sources! Kudos to you all!

So. We know spren have genders (most of the time — the Sibling is an exception) and parents (how many?). So ... how does it work? Does one spren just start to get thought of in more than one way to the point that it splits? That doesn’t sound likely. Like, what happens? Does someone tear a piece of a spren off or something? The spren cut by spanreed fabrials divide in separate spren perhaps? Does Stormlight coalesce into a new spren under the right circumstances? We know most of the Honorspren are relatively young — younger than Syl. Where did they come from and how? Does the Stormfather regularly birth new spren?

Perhaps Sja-Anat’s status as parent is a better starting place? How do spren generally have specific parents, like the Reacher (?) in OB?

The word “conceive” may be strangely relevant (tangent).

Perhaps we will learn more about this in Stormlight 5? Any predictions?