RoW Rhythms vs. Mistborn Rhythms

TheDomanreiter

My on going theory is that the Sel shards don't have as much of a rhythm on Sel unlike the other planets on their shards because they are stuck on the cognitive realm instead of the spiritual(?). So it should be easier to create anti-light there.

On 22.12.2020 at 7:24 AM, Honorless said:

Yup! And unlike the case of Stormlight and Voidlight, Preservation and Ruin's Investiture did repel one another and annihilate one another upon contact! Wonder what that might imply...

I don't believe Ruin's and Preservation's Investitures ever annihilated each other. In Vin VS Ati's case it was a standard shard collision - Odium could do that to any other Shard if he had a death wish. Besides, if they would've annihilated one another then Sazed would've died upon taking both powers, since as far as I understand, it's impossible to mix a Light and it's opposite. The case of the mists drawing away from inquisitors is probably just like Voidlight and Stormlight refusing to mix without the Rhythm of War. 

On 23.12.2020 at 2:29 PM, Knight of Iron said:

So I refreshed myself on how anti-Light is actually created, and I believe this could maybe be possible. The Coppermind mentions "dampening" the natural vibration of the light first, so you'd have to be producing the identical yet anti-Stormlight rhythm with a sphere. Then it has to be isolated from hearing its Shard's pure tone (which a vacuum would do, as there is no sound whatsoever).

And so then it could the Intent of the Investiture itself could be rewritten. I really like this relationship between the Rhythm of Investiture and the Intent of Investiture.

And I just realized this could be close to the official conversion method between types of Investiture! Perhaps we can turn Stormlight into Breaths, now.

I don't think it'd be possible to converse Lights like that, since this method was used only to make anti-Light, which is very similar to the specific Light itself. If Light conversion is possible at all, though, then this way seems as good way as any to do that.

15 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

I don't think it'd be possible to converse Lights like that, since this method was used only to make anti-Light, which is very similar to the specific Light itself. If Light conversion is possible at all, though, then this way seems as good way as any to do that.

I've gotta disagree here. Stormlight and anti-Stormlight (or Voidlight into anti-Voidlight) are opposites, not similar. They're related, but that isn't the same thing as being similar. Heat isn't similar to cold. Black isn't similar to white. Up isn't similar to down.There literally can't be anything more different than Stormlight than anti-Stormlight.

Straight up inverting the waveform would take advantage of the fact that they're exact opposites, but it doesn't seem like that's what they're doing. The fact that they have to dampen the Light's tone before imparting the new one makes it seem like the tone isn't simply being modified but is instead being overwritten with a new one. It might be easier in a practical sense to turn a Light into the corresponding anti-Light (it's probably easier to envision an anti-Rhythm when the original Rhythm is right in front of you), but I don't think that it has to be easier in a fundamental sense. Of course, there could always be some reason why the (very rough) symmetry between real-world electromagnetism/sound and Lights breaks down here (probably related to Connection or the Spiritual Realm or Intent or something else that we don't understand at all). Even if that is the case, I'd be at least mildly surprised if a method somewhat similar to the one devised by Navani and Raboniel couldn't be used to modify a Light's associated Shard.

6 minutes ago, exilarchy said:

I've gotta disagree here. Stormlight and anti-Stormlight (or Voidlight into anti-Voidlight) are opposites, not similar. They're related, but that isn't the same thing as being similar. Heat isn't similar to cold. Black isn't similar to white. Up isn't similar to down.There literally can't be anything more different than Stormlight than anti-Stormlight.

My wording might not be exact - English isn't my first language. Maybe I should've said related - because opposites are always related to each other. Opposites always stand on the same axis, which is why, in my eyes, opposites are sometimes more related to each other than to other things. 

About the rewriting - I think you are partly right, but I'm not sure if being cut from the Rhythm erases the Light's "identity" completely. It can be turned to the exact opposite, but not to another kind of light. I'm not completely sure of this point, though, and I guess I can accept conversion between lights that is made like that. The question is whether or not Investiture in the void is "blank" Investiture, unkeyed to any Shard.

1 hour ago, exilarchy said:

On the other hand positron are extremely similar to electrons