Zahel

POTUS24

12 hours ago, POTUS24 said:

How did Zahel break his connection with Nalthis?

He did not need to.  Breath does not stay bound to its system.  Endowment's investiture sticks to the soul of the person it is attached to.

And why are the ghostbloods uninterested in him?

How do you know they are?  They also just might not know about him.

On 12/19/2020 at 10:25 PM, Karger said:

He did not need to.  Breath does not stay bound to its system.  Endowment's investiture sticks to the soul of the person it is attached to.

That makes way more sense thank you. I don't know but it also doesn't seem like they are. I have a very hard time believing that they don't based on how connected they are in general.

I don't know but it also doesn't seem like they are. I have a very hard time believing that they don't based on how connected they are in general.

I may as well paraphrase Hoid.  Just because they know almost everything does not mean they know any particular piece of information.  They might also know but have just concluded Zahel won't work with them.  He is immune to most forms of bribery, blackmail, and intimidation.  Also he would make a really nasty enemy.

That makes way more sense thank you

No problem.  It is a bit confusing I admit.  As a fun side note Mraize probably has breath himself(he seems to have a life sense).

2 hours ago, Karger said:

As a fun side note Mraize probably has breath himself(he seems to have a life sense).

I keep gawking at how you guys keep inferring this kind of stuff from every little piece of information Brandon gives us readers.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, cvamoca said:

Can I piggyback on this and ask does anyone know why Vasher and Nightblood parted- is that in a book or short story or was in in Dawnshard or a WOB? I enjoyed Warbreaker so much, he's one of my favourite cranky characters.

In the State of the Sanderson 2020, he said what's on the quote below, so we probably won't be getting any new Warbreaker or Elantris books before 2025... But I hope he changes his mind because Warbreaker is also one of my favorite Cosmere books!

ELANTRIS, WARBREAKER, RITHMATIST

As you probably expected, no motion here. I didn’t plan for there to be any this year, though all three should get a sequel eventually. I’ve been targeting the post-Stormligh-Five timeline for these. I could see slipping Rithmatist 2 in between Mistborn Era 3 books, for example, when I need a break.

Edited by CarTorSan

2 hours ago, CarTorSan said:

I keep gawking at how you guys keep inferring this kind of stuff from every little piece of information Brandon gives us readers.

Yes but I am not sure you want to.  It basically involves reading so much cosmere that you dream it.

On 12/19/2020 at 10:25 PM, Karger said:

Here's a WoB which I think validates my point about Zahel having to have a specific method to get off of Nalthis.

Questioner

Have we seen cameos of Heralds on other Shardworlds?

Brandon Sanderson

The Heralds are tied to the system by the magic that permeates them. They could not leave.

Questioner

I thought I saw someone but I guess not.

Brandon Sanderson

It’s part of the magic. Some would call them Cognitive Shadows, right? Whether they are or not. "Cognitive Shadow" is a very ambiguous term in the cosmere. It means, basically your soul-- It's the same thing with petrification, right? Investiture replaced your soul, and permeated your soul, and your soul continues to exist, but... you are usually Invested with something, that's tied, and you're basically like pure Investiture then. You're tied to the thing you're Connected to. Most of the things that you're gonna see with that, travelling is going to be very difficult, unless you know how to do it. You have seen people do it.

Questioner

Who?

Brandon Sanderson

Vasher

Brandon Sanderson

Vasher... You have seen people do it. But anyone who's got-- yeah.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/36/#e1537

So yes the breath of life is canonically not connected to Nalthis and that's why we see lots of people using it around Roshar. But because the returned are "petrified" it should be difficult for them to leave the system. So I think the idea that the GB know he's not going to spill the beans is valid. But I have a hard time believing they don't have a close eye on him. 

1 hour ago, POTUS24 said:

So yes the breath of life is canonically not connected to Nalthis and that's why we see lots of people using it around Roshar. But because the returned are "petrified" it should be difficult for them to leave the system

Not really.  The petrifying investiture is still breath in their case.  It just manifests a bit differently.