Odiums plan for the Challenege

tipbruley

So I was scratching my head about why Odium would have ever agreed to the terms set forth by Dalinar where either way of the battle, Odium has to stay on Roshar. But after re-reading Odium is very clear on one case that would allow him to get off Roshar. If Dalinar voids the agreement then Odium is free.

"What happens, Odium, if you break your word"
"Then the contract is void, and I am in your power. Same, but reversed, if you break the contract. You would be in my power, and all the restrictions Honor placed upon me - chaining me to the Rosharan system and preventing me from using my powers on most individuals-would be void"

The biggest thing here is that Odium asked for Dalinar's soul to be given to him. Not anyone else's. Dalinar even says earlier that he can only order other people to submit to subservience, but he can only really promise that he follows through with the bargain. This means that Dalinar MUST continue to serve Odium for as long as Odium demands it. Now Dalinar is a great guy, but we have already seen what happens to people trying to maintain an oath through eternity. They weaken/get corrupted. Eventually he will break his promise and then Odium will be free. In fact, he might not even have to wait that long. Odium could instruct Dalinar to kill his family one by one. I'm not sure that Dalinar could go through with that.

Thankfully I think Dalinar's death would severe his bond with the stormfather and pieces of Honor the same way it did with Szeth and Jes's blade.  Odium could order Dalinar to do this out of spite and Dalinar would be bound to obey but I don't think he would simply because Dalinar's family is pretty dangerous and he does not want to loose his loyal blackthorn.

Edited by Karger