Characters by the end of book 5

Chiberty

6 hours ago, alder24 said:

There is a separation between the Tower and Alethkar, both are separate and independent states, that temporarily are ruled from the same place. The government you propose can be made in Urithiru but in Alethkar, I doubt it. They decided to remain separate when Jasnah was crowned instead of Dalinar.

Blind with a Honorblade, possibly influenced by Dai-Gonarthis, having blood of Teft and many others on his hands. Representing what Kaladin could have become. He doesn't have to be killed in the fight, he can be killed as an act of mercy.

Mercy yes, honnor no

• 5 months later...

Personally, while I think that there are some arguments to be made for Kal surviving. I just don't think that is how it's gonna end up. My own guess on who is on the chopping block would be primarily Kaladin and Navani. With Kaladin as he is the character we probably know the best I think he will be the one to go. Of our three main POV's he makes the most sense as Dalinar has a clear path forward as Taravangian's General. Shallan is just too tied up in too many plot threads to be killed off. So that leaves Kal. Based off of my reading he seems to have the least connecting him to the back half of the series. While I do not necessarily think that because a character has no purpose they should die, I do think that Kal dying would make a bittersweet ending to his arch. When it comes to the argument of him turning into a cognitive shadow I just don't think that will happen for meta reasons. Primarily, the fact that Sanderson has already done that with a main character of another series.

Moving onto Navani this is more of a toss-up, but I think that she will be stabbed and die in book 5 or be stabbed and die in book 6. The person stabbing her would be Dalinar after he loses the contest. The strongest reason I have for this theory is the symmetry it has to his last wife Evi. I also think it would sting for both the reader and Dalinar to have him kill her personally, face to face. Another reason why I think this is possible is that Taravangian would find pleasure in such symmetry. While Taravangian is not a vindictive sort of person I do think the Shard's influence would push him towards making Dalinar do this.

Overall I think no matter what the book will be I will enjoy it, I just think it is fun to theorize about these sorts of things.