Monster Melee 5-Kalad's Phantoms vs Thunderclast! (Battle Scene Posted)

Monster Melee 5-Kalad's Phantoms vs Thunderclast  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which monster would win?

• 25 of Kalads Phantoms
    • Thunderclast

(Warbreaker Spoilers below)

Welcome back to Monster Melee 5, or The Ballad of Roshone's Revenge; the thread where we debate and vote on which monsters would win in a fight, and then I write up a battle scene using your suggestions and a little bit of Roshone bashing. In case you're just joining us, here's a small recap of the story so far:

After a defeat at the hands of the Whitespine's Koloss, one of the trolls was spiked and turned into a monstrous Trolloss! Roshone, with the help of an army of skeletals, was able to beat the monster back into the Whitespine's new den, where they discovered a shardpool. The Trolloss was knocked into the pool and vanished without a trace, leaving the pool empty. The Whitespine vanished almost as suddenly, leaving Roshone to hunt after it.

So this week, we've got a group against a single large baddie, Kalad's Phantom's vs a Thunderclast.

Kalad's Phantoms- http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/8775-magic-fuel/ (very little here.)

Thunderclast-http://coppermind.net/wiki/Thunderclast (Not much here either.)

This week again I'm going to without the voting until we have some battle parameters set. We'll need a couple of things set in stone before I open the polls:

• Setting-last week we left Jah Keved, and we need to continue our trek, (after all, movement gives the illusion that the story is moving forward.)  The base of the Horneater Mountains.
  • Number of Phantoms (Can't have the whole army, unless we want a bunch of Thunderclasts as well, but I think a group against one battle would be pretty cool here. You might be able to sway me otherwise.) Debate as of now is 20-25 against 1 Thunderclast 25 Phantoms
  • Weapons the Phantoms have:
  1. Friggen Giant Warhammers
  2. Maces
  3. Meteor Hammers
  4. Flails
  5. Friggen Giant Boulders
  6. Bare hands-not be confused with bear arms
  7. Morningstars

Also, feel free to throw in suggestions for future fights, ideas for moving the narrative forward, ideas to improve Monster Melee in general. I'm having fun doing this, but the thread is for you as well. If there's anything you'd like to see changed, let me know! 

The more participation we have the better it will be. I want to stress that I didn't come up with the idea for Roshone being involved, the Trolloss, Roshone getting spiked, that was all you guys, so please throw your ideas out there!

Let the discussions begin!

Here's the battlescene!  

The mountains rose up reaching towards the Tranquiline Halls as Roshone walked down the road, spike scraping against the stone; it left a small impression every time he took a step. Somehow, the click of the prosthetic was clear, even against the even thumping of the twenty five stone men marching behind him.  Roshone didn’t wonder about it though. His senses had seemed sharper somehow, since it had been shoved into his stump by that strange blue creature.

Roshone wasn’t sure how much time had passed since then, but while it still hurt as much as the day it happened, there had never been any blood, any wounds to care for, and it was obvious how much of an improvement physically had happened. Roshone not only felt stronger, but he had viable proof. China had shattered in his hands at a touch; he could crack open a rockbud in his hands. He had even dismissed his servants and the carriage, he made better time on spike.

He also had a strange sense of direction now. Pulses that washed over him, pulling him towards…something. This time it had led him to the stone statues that had sprung to life at the first words out of his mouth. He had learned quickly the way to use those words to issue commands to them. It had almost seemed to be whispered to him, like instructions. And why does the word ‘Phantoms’ come into my head when I think about the blustering things? Roshone did not question things further though; he wanted to be focused.

The pulses pulled him towards the mountains, but once he had reached them, it only pulled him along the slopes of the Horneater Peaks. Roshone was glad for that fact, he had heard strange things about Horneater cooking, things he would rather not confirm for himself. The wave washed over him, filling him with a yearning, and eagerness to move forward. As Roshone took one last step, he suddenly felt the pulses intensify, and vanish. His skin prickled in anticipation; he was here.

The Phantoms stopped in unison with him. He looked them over quickly, taking into stock their weaponry one last time. They seemed to be organized into five subsections, each armed with their own weapons. The five in front were armed with the most colossal warharmers Roshone had ever seen. Those warhammers are storming friggen giant! They were made of a dark metal that gave off a dull shine. Behind them, 5 more carried short lengths of the same metal, fashioned into maces, with a weighted head on the tip. All of the weapons seemed to be oversized, even in the Phantoms’ too large hands.

Another five carried flails, two of them with smaller rods bearing only one enormous spiked ball at the end of the chain. The two others had similar arms, but theirs sprouted two chains, with slightly smaller metal heads. In the second to last row, each stalwart statue sported large wicked looking morningstars, the end of it larger than a man’s head and the spikes too long and thin. They were undoubtedly durable, considering the way he had seen them used earlier in the trip, when he had tested their abilities. No woodsman had ever fallen a tree so quickly.

In the very back, four of them carried lengths of chain with another of the morningstar heads at the end of it. The way they had swung those chains baffled Roshone. He had shuddered at the thought of having to face one of those in one on one combat. Even with his improved physicality, he could block or dodge something he couldn’t predict. And then there’s the last one. Roshone turned towards it.

It held a tube of metal that seemed to be some sort of strange fabrial. It was cylindrical, with a thinner tip shaped almost like a wedge. There was a handle near the top, and below that was some sort of strange lever that turned in a circle. When it was turned, the tip of the fabrial would pull back, and then spring forward violently. Roshone saw it used against the stones of the road, and watched them shatter. Whatever it is this time, let it come. Roshone felt ready.

As if in reply, a large shadow moved across the ground beneath them, shooting up the side of the mountain. Roshone watched it slide up the side of the mountain, until it was a good way up; that’s when the ground started to shake. Roshone felt himself start to slip, before driving his spike into the ground, anchoring him. The Phantoms seemed to keep their balance fairly well, though the ones with weapons on lengths of chain were trying to get the erratic swinging under control.

Up on the slope, the shadow was separating the mountain from itself, a giant body with claw like hands rose up out of the ground, assorted plant life running down the length of its back. Stormfather! It’s enormous! It towered above them, and even the mountain seemed smaller behind it, though Roshone knew that was not the case. Pulling himself out of his astonishment, he quickly screamed “attack!” even while the creature was still rising from its knees. Behind him, the Phantoms remained still.

Damnation. “What in Kelek’s tongue? Attack! What in Kelek’s tongue?” The Phantoms leaped forward, the ones in the back beginning to swing their meteor hammers, slowly picking up the speed. They advanced quickly, but the terrain was rough, and the shadow had gone further up the hill than he had thought at first glance. The monster- Roshone heard the word ‘Thunderclast’ whispered into his mind- had grabbed two large boulders from the mountainside, and launched both of them down the slope.

The twin missiles hit the ground and bounced, one of them rolling into a cliff that steered it off course. The other hit true, straight down the center. It struck the column three across, sending them flying in different directions, some knocking others over.  Roshone could have laughed at the display if he hadn’t been so horrified. Almost like some sort of game. He hurried up the slope to assess the damage.

Twelve of the phantoms had been taken out in a single stroke. Including the one with the strange fabrial. It lay completely shattered, unrecognizable, almost disintegrated. Roshone felt more a loss for the fabrial than for the creature. It had seemed strange, even allowing for recent events. Something that should not be. He shivered, and tried to shrug away that feeling, refocussing on the battle.

The warhammer wielding Phantoms had reached the creature, and were pounding on its legs. The creature swung and kicked at them, sending some careening wildly down the slope, and severing limbs off others. Roshone redoubled his effort to climb, but even the strange balance of the spike was little help climbing the steep slopes of the Horneater peaks.

The rest of the Phantoms encircled the Thunderclast, and the sounds of iron on rock sung down the mountain. Large chunks of rock were missing from the creatures legs, but it still stood tall, swinging tree length arms down to obliterate the remaining Phantoms carrying flails, both still trailing stone dust from their last blows. Behind the Thunderclast, the meteor hammer Phantoms moved in unison.

As one, three lengths of chain sailed through the air, propelled by the large spiked ball on their ends. One wrapped around each arm of the Thunderclast, sinking deeply into the stone, chips flying out from the force of the impact. The third wrapped around what would be the stone giant’s neck. They pulled simultaneously, just as one of the legs shattered the blow of a mace. The creature toppled backward, the ground shaking once more as it landed.

Roshone was struggling to keep his balance on the slope bucking beneath him, when he was tackled from behind, and began to roll down the slope.  The Whitespine! Roshone pulled a knife out of his sheath and struck out, catching the Whitespine across its sensitive underbelly. There was a tug on the knife, and blood poured out before Roshone’s hand struck a rock and lost the knife. His other hand was firmly grasped on the Whitespine’s face, struggling to keep it from impaling him…again.

They came rest on the foot of the slope, the Whitespine on top of Roshone, who had hold of both of the tusks. Their eyes met, and Roshone felt as if he were staring into that strange pool back in Jah Kaved. With a start, he realized that the Whitespine wasn’t bleeding anymore, nor did it sport a wound. He had several rents through his cloak, blood staining the fabric, and Roshone even remembered the pain, but those wounds were gone. Roshone was pleased to recognize shock on the Whitespine’s face, at least as surprised as Roshone was.

He kicked out with his spike, catching it across one of its legs and it screamed in pain. It jumped away, trailing blood, and Roshone could tell the wound wasn’t instantly healing. This spike gets more intriguing by the day. He turned his attention back towards the battle.

The Thunderclast was in rough shape, both of its legs had been hacked away, but there were only four phantoms left. It balanced haphazardly on its remaining torso, swinging out at the two in front, as two pounded away at its back with their warhammers. The Thunderclast suddenly reached up behind itself, and grabbed a broken tree embedded in its back, yanking it free. Dust and debris rained down on the animated statues below, but they did not seem to notice.

The tree swung through the air horizontally, catching both of the Phantoms in front with the fury of its arching path. The first exploded in a cloud of dust, the second breaking apart at the legs and arms, leaving the body crippled. The Thunderclast tossed the tree to the side, and then fell backward.  Roshone thought he could pick out the sound of the last two Phantoms being ground into dust under the weight of the Thunderclast.  It pulled itself back upright, and began down the mountainside, before losing its balance.

For the third time that day, the earth rumbled under the fury of stone set into motion. It rolled down the mountainside, rock continuing to break away as it rolled. A small flood of pebbles reached the road, and Roshone stopped the last large chunk with his spike. It was barely recognizable as the creature’s head. Roshone brought his fists down on it, breaking it an unfamiliar pile of rubble. He gave a start as the pulsing began to wash over him again.

He quickly surveyed the battlefield. Random limbs lay across the side side of the mountain. Trees were uprooted in several places, and there was a large impression of a man just missing from the mountainside. The pulses became more urgent. Time to go. Roshone gave one last regretful look at his fallen army, sighing with disappointment.

He turned and walked on, north, towards Herdaz.  

Edited by EMTrevor

Since both the Phantoms and the Thunderclast are made of stone, it's basically brute force against brute force. Thunderclasts are ginormous (around thirty feet tall and maybe the size of half a chasmfiend), but even it cannot stand against a suitable force of Phantoms armed with friggen giant warhammers. I'd say fifteen VS one. Those of you who are the science experts, take it away.

As for where we should go, well... *cracks open book to peruse map* Since we're moving west, we could either move into Azir (although that's a long march) or stumble into Urithiru (that's in the mountains, though, so unless Roshone's got a mountain goat for a steed, there's no way we're getting in there except for an Oathgate). Alternatively, we could move east, where we have several options, listed below.

Kholinar: This one could be fun, depending on whether you want Roshone to head straight into the chaos of the revolt or not. If you just want to use one human character, I'd avoid here.

The Shattered Plains: Since they're pretty much abandoned, Roshone could move over there to seek out military or political connections, but find the place deserted. Cue epic Chasmfiend battle!

The Horneater Peaks: Depends on whether you want to murk around with those interesting pools at the top of the Peaks or not. If they are cool awesome teleporting pools, who knows what could come out of the other side?

These are my thoughts. 

We'll need a couple of things set in stone before I open the polls:

Pun intended? Considering the phantoms are literally ... okay, I'll stop.

Location: I was imagining Roshone barely crossing the border into Jah Keved, still pretty close to Hearthstone (up north-ish). That puts the Horneater Peaks nearby as a good next location. (Stay in the foothills for now--Roshone won't venture onto the cold slopes yet). Hm, I really like the idea of a battlefield with serious high-ground terrain possibilities: some phantoms up above starting an avalanche while those lower down distract the clast.

On the other hand, look north. Is that Herdaz? That's Herdaz! We could sell tickets to the fight, hire a chouta vendor, pull out all the stops. Seriously, gancho, Herdaz could be fun. If not now then next time, especially since that puts Roshone on the edge of the Reshi sea for the time after that. I know you are planning for a chasmfiend eventually, though, so heading towards the Plains would be acceptable.

Weapons: Jackhammers? No? I guess we're stuck with an assortment of bludgeoning tools. Maces, war hammers. I bet flails and chains could be effective, especially if they were long enough to double as restraining implements. Hmm. 

Numbers: Not sure. At least a dozen, but I don't have a good sense of the power level of a thunderclast.

By the by, are we putting Roshone on a particular side? I was thinking about him as a phantom commander, but just had a fun image of him sitting on the thunderclast's head riding into the mountains when the statuary starts attacking him. If he's directing the lifeless, though, you could make him use a ridiculous pass-phrase to get them started. (Alternatively, he accidently discovers their pass-phrase at the end by cursing, thus saving his sorry skin.)

No need to make a decision yet. That would probably sway the voting as well.

As for where we should go, well... *cracks open book to peruse map* Since we're moving west, we could either move into Azir (although that's a long march) or stumble into Urithiru (that's in the mountains, though, so unless Roshone's got a mountain goat for a steed, there's no way we're getting in there except for an Oathgate). Alternatively, we could move east, where we have several options, listed below.

Kholinar: This one could be fun, depending on whether you want Roshone to head straight into the chaos of the revolt or not. If you just want to use one human character, I'd avoid here.

The Shattered Plains: Since they're pretty much abandoned, Roshone could move over there to seek out military or political connections, but find the place deserted. Cue epic Chasmfiend battle!

The Horneater Peaks: Depends on whether you want to murk around with those interesting pools at the top of the Peaks or not. If they are cool awesome teleporting pools, who knows what could come out of the other side?

These are my though

Oh yeah...Geography...*cracks open book as well*

There's a loose (and slightly flexible due to travel times being largely ignored) chronology I've put to this, I've got a few plans for future about that very sort of thing in Kholinar. We aren't quite ready to head to the Shattered plains yet, so I think the Horneater mounts will do! But I agree with ccstat, he isn't going to travel to those travelling pools quite yet because of [redacted]. We'll head to Herdaz after that, Then we can swing by Kholinar in time for the riots, and make it to the Shattered Plains in the nick of time. Give Roshone a nice loose travel schedule that we'll adjust as need be. 

Pun intended? Considering the phantoms are literally ... okay, I'll stop.

I'm glad you noticed  B)

By the by, are we putting Roshone on a particular side? I was thinking about him as a phantom commander, but just had a fun image of him sitting on the thunderclast's head riding into the mountains when the statuary starts attacking him. If he's directing the lifeless, though, you could make him use a ridiculous pass-phrase to get them started. (Alternatively, he accidently discovers their pass-phrase at the end by cursing, thus saving his sorry skin.)

No need to make a decision yet. That would probably sway the voting as well.

This battle isn't important to the storyline, so Roshone will inherit the loser, just because I like to abuse him. Just because he's the protagonist doesn't mean he's the hero, or should win!

So far we've got a range of 12-15 Phantoms 

armed with friggen giant warhammers. 

And other assorted blunt objects: 

Weapons: Jackhammers? No? I guess we're stuck with an assortment of bludgeoning tools. Maces, war hammers. I bet flails and chains could be effective, especially if they were long enough to double as restraining implements. Hmm. 

You obviously read my other thread and saw my obsession with chain weapons! So at least one Phantom armed with a meteor hammer! Yes!!!!

Awesome! It's nice seeing my ideas somewhat implemented... Either way, blunt weapons will obviously have to do, since blades cannot work. Unless the Phantoms have Shardblades... O.o

Here's a list of blunt weapons that I was able to come up with:

Warhammer

Ball and Chain

Mace

Flail

Giant Boulders

BARE HANDS (considering that the phantoms are made of stone)

Shield (Some of the phantoms could have defensive capabilities)

That's about it. Also, Herdaz is perfect for this sort of thing! I can just see Lopen strolling in for a conversation with one of his cousins, then have a massive fight break out between Roshone and X mystical creature. ccstat, you are a genius.

Awesome! It's nice seeing my ideas somewhat implemented... Either way, blunt weapons will obviously have to do, since blades cannot work. Unless the Phantoms have Shardblades... O.o

Here's a list of blunt weapons that I was able to come up with:

Warhammer

Ball and Chain

Mace

Flail

Giant Boulders

BARE HANDS (considering that the phantoms are made of stone)

Shield (Some of the phantoms could have defensive capabilities)

That's about it. Also, Herdaz is perfect for this sort of thing! I can just see Lopen strolling in for a conversation with one of his cousins, then have a massive fight break out between Roshone and X mystical creature. ccstat, you are a genius.

I'll start editing the main post with some of these! Also, the ideas are great, and I promise what I'm not using here is already forming into some awesomeness in the future! The Kholinar riots would be a great setting for a fight. 

This one looks particularly awesome! :D

I'm intellectually dwarfed by the other participants in these, so don't expect many grand insights from me. But out of curiosity, are these the same Kalad's Phantoms we see in Warbreaker? It matters since Vasher's the one who Awakened the originals, and the skill of the Awakener has major impact on the quality of the resulting Lifeless.

This one looks particularly awesome! :D

I'm intellectually dwarfed by the other participants in these, so don't expect many grand insights from me. But out of curiosity, are these the same Kalad's Phantoms we see in Warbreaker? It matters since Vasher's the one who Awakened the originals, and the skill of the Awakener has major impact on the quality of the resulting Lifeless.

Don't sell yourself short. Without you, there wouldn't be a story arch whatsoever! Just random violence. Albeit satisfying fantasy random violence.

Definitely some of the same Phantoms. I was also going to bring up that their skill as lifeless is linked to their skill as people, I would think that holds through to the bones, and we can assume that during that particular war, Vasher would have had access to a lot of skilled corpses. 

So how much of an advantage will this give the phantoms, since we don't know how intelligent the Thunderclast is? 

Edited by EMTrevor

Don't sell yourself short. Without you, there wouldn't be a story arch whatsoever! Just random violence. Albeit satisfying fantasy random violence.

Definitely some of the same Phantoms. I was also going to bring up that their skill as lifeless is linked to their skill as people, I would think that holds through to the bones, and we can assume that during that particular war, Vasher would have had access to a lot of skilled corpses. 

So how much of an advantage will this give the phantoms, since we don't know how intelligent the Thunderclast is? 

Random fantasy violence for the win.

Thunderclasts seem to be stone possessed by voidspren, but we don't know what level of intelligence to expect from voidspren. So there doesn't seem to be much chance of deducing thunderclast intellect at the moment.

As for the Phantoms... again, not a lot to go on. Comparing them to other Awakened constructs of Vasher's, we can presume they should be able to reasonably carry out any battle commands and instructions. They (probably) can't adapt their thinking to fit a new situation, but a skilled and loud-voiced commander should easily be capable of controlling them without difficulty.

Since we're rather in the dark concerning intellectual abilities... what about physical attributes? Do we have any reason to believe that it's even possible to kill a thunderclast without Shard weapons? What if they start reforming whenever you attack them with more mundane weapons? What if the voidspren scurries away and possesses a new slab of rock as soon as the thunderclast dies, making Shard weapons a necessity? :o

. . . A long arm! Slender, perhaps fifteen feet long. It burst from the water, then slammed back down as if to get a firm purchase on the lakebed. Another arm rose nearby, elbow toward the sky, then they both heaved as if attached to a body doing a push-up. 

A giant body ripped itself out of the rocky floor. It was like someone had been buried in sand and was now emerging. Water streamed from the creatures ridged and pocked back, which was overgrown with bits of shalebark and submarine fungus. The spren had somehow animated the stone itself.

As it stood and twisted about, Dalinar could make out glowing red eyes-like molten rock-set deep an evil stone face. The body was skeletal, with thin bony limbs and spiky fingers that ended in rocky claws. The chest was a rib cage of stone. 

"Thunderclast!" soldiers yelled. "Hammers! Ready hammers!"

WoR Page 75

Wow! The arm is 15 feet long! THE ARM! We're going to need more phantoms...

I'd say since they are using hammers against it, and not just leaving it to the Knight, that bashing it repeatedly should work...eventually.

I'd say that works in favor for the Phantoms as well though. The things clawed arms are not going to be as effective, but the Phantoms are going to be well prepared for the match up.

Wow! The arm is 15 feet long! THE ARM! We're going to need more phantoms...

I'd say since they are using hammers against it, and not just leaving it to the Knight, that bashing it repeatedly should work...eventually.

I'd say that works in favor for the Phantoms as well though. The things clawed arms are not going to be as effective, but the Phantoms are going to be well prepared for the match up.

The claws won't be as effective, but the sheer strength of the thing can probably do a lot of damage. Especially since it presumably will be wielding large boulders.

As for Phantom weapons, why not appointments morningstars? A large lump of iron with spikes on is always nice.

Since Thunderclasts are that big, we might want to consider fielding twenty, maybe even twenty five Phantoms against that monster. We also don't know how intelligent the spren possessing it is. It sounds like Sjat-Ana, the Unmade that corrupts spren, uses the spren of old KR to possess it, so it might be very smart. Or it could be very dumb. Hrm...

I also support using morning stars for the Phantoms.

Morning star added.

I also agree that we'll need 20-25 Phantoms at the last. I was thinking the Thunderclast was smaller, but with arms at 15 feet, we're looking at a 25 foot abomination at least, and that can put a lot of hurt out IMO. 

Two things:  1) Whether this or a future battle is set there, I don't care, but Herdaz MUST see some action at some point!  Great idea, ccstat!  2) I'm no help with battle-ish stuff or weapons, but I always kind of pictured the arm coming out of the water as a cross between what the Watcher in the Water looks like in Fellowship and any number of fast-moving creatures from Miyazaki films.  (Also, EMTrevor, your userpic is so incredibly cute.  Don't know if that's what you were going for, but I like it.)

Two things:  1) Whether this or a future battle is set there, I don't care, but Herdaz MUST see some action at some point!  Great idea, ccstat!  2) I'm no help with battle-ish stuff or weapons, but I always kind of pictured the arm coming out of the water as a cross between what the Watcher in the Water looks like in Fellowship and any number of fast-moving creatures from Miyazaki films.  (Also, EMTrevor, your userpic is so incredibly cute.  Don't know if that's what you were going for, but I like it.)

Pikaluke used charm....It was super effective!

Great question! I would say that the Phantoms would be designed to be as dense as possible. The Thunderclast would be the stone at the Horneater Peaks, which we'll assume to be a normal mountain rock. Any geologists or hobbiests in the house?

• 2 weeks later...

Long delay, sorry for that, I was also half hoping that some more debate would start up seeing as how close it was in the polls. Spoilered for length, and I'll also add it to the main post. 

The mountains rose up reaching towards the Tranquiline Halls as Roshone walked down the road, spike scraping against the stone; it left a small impression every time he took a step. Somehow, the click of the prosthetic was clear, even against the even thumping of the twenty five stone men marching behind him.  Roshone didn’t wonder about it though. His senses had seemed sharper somehow, since it had been shoved into his stump by that strange blue creature.

Roshone wasn’t sure how much time had passed since then, but while it still hurt as much as the day it happened, there had never been any blood, any wounds to care for, and it was obvious how much of an improvement physically had happened. Roshone not only felt stronger, but he had viable proof. China had shattered in his hands at a touch; he could crack open a rockbud in his hands. He had even dismissed his servants and the carriage, he made better time on spike.

He also had a strange sense of direction now. Pulses that washed over him, pulling him towards…something. This time it had led him to the stone statues that had sprung to life at the first words out of his mouth. He had learned quickly the way to use those words to issue commands to them. It had almost seemed to be whispered to him, like instructions. And why does the word ‘Phantoms’ come into my head when I think about the blustering things? Roshone did not question things further though; he wanted to be focused.

The pulses pulled him towards the mountains, but once he had reached them, it only pulled him along the slopes of the Horneater Peaks. Roshone was glad for that fact, he had heard strange things about Horneater cooking, things he would rather not confirm for himself. The wave washed over him, filling him with a yearning, and eagerness to move forward. As Roshone took one last step, he suddenly felt the pulses intensify, and vanish. His skin prickled in anticipation; he was here.

The Phantoms stopped in unison with him. He looked them over quickly, taking into stock their weaponry one last time. They seemed to be organized into five subsections, each armed with their own weapons. The five in front were armed with the most colossal warharmers Roshone had ever seen. Those warhammers are storming friggen giant! They were made of a dark metal that gave off a dull shine. Behind them, 5 more carried short lengths of the same metal, fashioned into maces, with a weighted head on the tip. All of the weapons seemed to be oversized, even in the Phantoms’ too large hands.

Another five carried flails, two of them with smaller rods bearing only one enormous spiked ball at the end of the chain. The two others had similar arms, but theirs sprouted two chains, with slightly smaller metal heads. In the second to last row, each stalwart statue sported large wicked looking morningstars, the end of it larger than a man’s head and the spikes too long and thin. They were undoubtedly durable, considering the way he had seen them used earlier in the trip, when he had tested their abilities. No woodsman had ever fallen a tree so quickly.

In the very back, four of them carried lengths of chain with another of the morningstar heads at the end of it. The way they had swung those chains baffled Roshone. He had shuddered at the thought of having to face one of those in one on one combat. Even with his improved physicality, he could block or dodge something he couldn’t predict. And then there’s the last one. Roshone turned towards it.

It held a tube of metal that seemed to be some sort of strange fabrial. It was cylindrical, with a thinner tip shaped almost like a wedge. There was a handle near the top, and below that was some sort of strange lever that turned in a circle. When it was turned, the tip of the fabrial would pull back, and then spring forward violently. Roshone saw it used against the stones of the road, and watched them shatter. Whatever it is this time, let it come. Roshone felt ready.

As if in reply, a large shadow moved across the ground beneath them, shooting up the side of the mountain. Roshone watched it slide up the side of the mountain, until it was a good way up; that’s when the ground started to shake. Roshone felt himself start to slip, before driving his spike into the ground, anchoring him. The Phantoms seemed to keep their balance fairly well, though the ones with weapons on lengths of chain were trying to get the erratic swinging under control.

Up on the slope, the shadow was separating the mountain from itself, a giant body with claw like hands rose up out of the ground, assorted plant life running down the length of its back. Stormfather! It’s enormous! It towered above them, and even the mountain seemed smaller behind it, though Roshone knew that was not the case. Pulling himself out of his astonishment, he quickly screamed “attack!” even while the creature was still rising from its knees. Behind him, the Phantoms remained still.

Damnation. “What in Kelek’s tongue? Attack! What in Kelek’s tongue?” The Phantoms leaped forward, the ones in the back beginning to swing their meteor hammers, slowly picking up the speed. They advanced quickly, but the terrain was rough, and the shadow had gone further up the hill than he had thought at first glance. The monster- Roshone heard the word ‘Thunderclast’ whispered into his mind- had grabbed two large boulders from the mountainside, and launched both of them down the slope.

The twin missiles hit the ground and bounced, one of them rolling into a cliff that steered it off course. The other hit true, straight down the center. It struck the column three across, sending them flying in different directions, some knocking others over.  Roshone could have laughed at the display if he hadn’t been so horrified. Almost like some sort of game. He hurried up the slope to assess the damage.

Twelve of the phantoms had been taken out in a single stroke. Including the one with the strange fabrial. It lay completely shattered, unrecognizable, almost disintegrated. Roshone felt more a loss for the fabrial than for the creature. It had seemed strange, even allowing for recent events. Something that should not be. He shivered, and tried to shrug away that feeling, refocussing on the battle.

The warhammer wielding Phantoms had reached the creature, and were pounding on its legs. The creature swung and kicked at them, sending some careening wildly down the slope, and severing limbs off others. Roshone redoubled his effort to climb, but even the strange balance of the spike was little help climbing the steep slopes of the Horneater peaks.

The rest of the Phantoms encircled the Thunderclast, and the sounds of iron on rock sung down the mountain. Large chunks of rock were missing from the creatures legs, but it still stood tall, swinging tree length arms down to obliterate the remaining Phantoms carrying flails, both still trailing stone dust from their last blows. Behind the Thunderclast, the meteor hammer Phantoms moved in unison.

As one, three lengths of chain sailed through the air, propelled by the large spiked ball on their ends. One wrapped around each arm of the Thunderclast, sinking deeply into the stone, chips flying out from the force of the impact. The third wrapped around what would be the stone giant’s neck. They pulled simultaneously, just as one of the legs shattered the blow of a mace. The creature toppled backward, the ground shaking once more as it landed.

Roshone was struggling to keep his balance on the slope bucking beneath him, when he was tackled from behind, and began to roll down the slope.  The Whitespine! Roshone pulled a knife out of his sheath and struck out, catching the Whitespine across its sensitive underbelly. There was a tug on the knife, and blood poured out before Roshone’s hand struck a rock and lost the knife. His other hand was firmly grasped on the Whitespine’s face, struggling to keep it from impaling him…again.

They came rest on the foot of the slope, the Whitespine on top of Roshone, who had hold of both of the tusks. Their eyes met, and Roshone felt as if he were staring into that strange pool back in Jah Kaved. With a start, he realized that the Whitespine wasn’t bleeding anymore, nor did it sport a wound. He had several rents through his cloak, blood staining the fabric, and Roshone even remembered the pain, but those wounds were gone. Roshone was pleased to recognize shock on the Whitespine’s face, at least as surprised as Roshone was.

He kicked out with his spike, catching it across one of its legs and it screamed in pain. It jumped away, trailing blood, and Roshone could tell the wound wasn’t instantly healing. This spike gets more intriguing by the day. He turned his attention back towards the battle.

The Thunderclast was in rough shape, both of its legs had been hacked away, but there were only four phantoms left. It balanced haphazardly on its remaining torso, swinging out at the two in front, as two pounded away at its back with their warhammers. The Thunderclast suddenly reached up behind itself, and grabbed a broken tree embedded in its back, yanking it free. Dust and debris rained down on the animated statues below, but they did not seem to notice.

The tree swung through the air horizontally, catching both of the Phantoms in front with the fury of its arching path. The first exploded in a cloud of dust, the second breaking apart at the legs and arms, leaving the body crippled. The Thunderclast tossed the tree to the side, and then fell backward.  Roshone thought he could pick out the sound of the last two Phantoms being ground into dust under the weight of the Thunderclast.  It pulled itself back upright, and began down the mountainside, before losing its balance.

For the third time that day, the earth rumbled under the fury of stone set into motion. It rolled down the mountainside, rock continuing to break away as it rolled. A small flood of pebbles reached the road, and Roshone stopped the last large chunk with his spike. It was barely recognizable as the creature’s head. Roshone brought his fists down on it, breaking it an unfamiliar pile of rubble. He gave a start as the pulsing began to wash over him again.

He quickly surveyed the battlefield. Random limbs lay across the side side of the mountain. Trees were uprooted in several places, and there was a large impression of a man just missing from the mountainside. The pulses became more urgent. Time to go. Roshone gave one last regretful look at his fallen army, sighing with disappointment.

I will probably be doing this less frequently than before, but it's not going to disappear. Anyways, hope you enjoyed!

Edited by EMTrevor

Long delay, sorry for that, I was also half hoping that some more debate would start up seeing as how close it was in the polls. Spoilered for length, and I'll also add it to the main post. 

He also had a strange sense of direction now. Pulses that washed over him, pulling him towards…something. This time it had led him to the stone statues that had sprung to life at the first words out of his mouth. He had learned quickly the way to use those words to issue commands to them. It had almost seemed to be whispered to him, like instructions. And why does the word ‘Phantoms’ come into my head when I think about the blustering things? Roshone did not question things further though; he wanted to be focused.

The Phantoms stopped in unison with him. He looked them over quickly, taking into stock their weaponry one last time. They seemed to be organized into five subsections, each armed with their own weapons. The five in front were armed with the most colossal warharmers Roshone had ever seen. Those warhammers are storming friggen giant! They were made of a dark metal that gave off a dull shine. Behind them, 5 more carried short lengths of the same metal, fashioned into maces, with a weighted head on the tip. All of the weapons seemed to be oversized, even in the Phantoms’ too large hands.

In the very back, four of them carried lengths of chain with another of the morningstar heads at the end of it. The way they had swung those chains baffled Roshone. He had shuddered at the thought of having to face one of those in one on one combat. Even with his improved physicality, he could block or dodge something he couldn’t predict. And then there’s the last one. Roshone turned towards it.

It held a tube of metal that seemed to be some sort of strange fabrial. It was cylindrical, with a thinner tip shaped almost like a wedge. There was a handle near the top, and below that was some sort of strange lever that turned in a circle. When it was turned, the tip of the fabrial would pull back, and then spring forward violently. Roshone saw it used against the stones of the road, and watched them shatter. Whatever it is this time, let it come. Roshone felt ready.

Up on the slope, the shadow was separating the mountain from itself, a giant body with claw like hands rose up out of the ground, assorted plant life running down the length of its back. Stormfather! It’s enormous! It towered above them, and even the mountain seemed smaller behind it, though Roshone knew that was not the case. Pulling himself out of his astonishment, he quickly screamed “attack!” even while the creature was still rising from its knees. Behind him, the Phantoms remained still.

Damnation. “What in Kelek’s tongue? Attack! What in Kelek’s tongue?” The Phantoms leaped forward, the ones in the back beginning to swing their meteor hammers, slowly picking up the speed. They advanced quickly, but the terrain was rough, and the shadow had gone further up the hill than he had thought at first glance. The monster- Roshone heard the word ‘Thunderclast’ whispered into his mind- had grabbed two large boulders from the mountainside, and launched both of them down the slope.

The twin missiles hit the ground and bounced, one of them rolling into a cliff that steered it off course. The other hit true, straight down the center. It struck the column three across, sending them flying in different directions, some knocking others over.  Roshone could have laughed at the display if he hadn’t been so horrified. Almost like some sort of game. He hurried up the slope to assess the damage.

Twelve of the phantoms had been taken out in a single stroke. Including the one with the strange fabrial. It lay completely shattered, unrecognizable, almost disintegrated. Roshone felt more a loss for the fabrial than for the creature. It had seemed strange, even allowing for recent events. Something that should not be. He shivered, and tried to shrug away that feeling, refocussing on the battle.

Roshone was struggling to keep his balance on the slope bucking beneath him, when he was tackled from behind, and began to roll down the slope.  The Whitespine! Roshone pulled a knife out of his sheath and struck out, catching the Whitespine across its sensitive underbelly. There was a tug on the knife, and blood poured out before Roshone’s hand struck a rock and lost the knife. His other hand was firmly grasped on the Whitespine’s face, struggling to keep it from impaling him…again.

He kicked out with his spike, catching it across one of its legs and it screamed in pain. It jumped away, trailing blood, and Roshone could tell the wound wasn’t instantly healing. This spike gets more intriguing by the day. He turned his attention back towards the battle.

He quickly surveyed the battlefield. Random limbs lay across the side side of the mountain. Trees were uprooted in several places, and there was a large impression of a man just missing from the mountainside. The pulses became more urgent. Time to go. Roshone gave one last regretful look at his fallen army, sighing with disappointment.

I will probably be doing this less frequently than before, but it's not going to disappear. Anyways, hope you enjoyed!

Awesome! Any hints on what the next battle will be? 

I haven't decided yet, but I'm open to suggestions. I think two sessions from now Rancor vs Chasmfiend, so something in between. After that I'll probably finish out the story arch since seems to be declining rapidly.

The conclusion to this arch will undoubtedly be the most ridiculously epic story on the forum. :D

I don't suppose we could work a Dalek into this somehow? Maybe Weeping Angels vs Inquisitors? Figuring out whether Inquisitors could see stone statues could be fun.

Even humans have trace metal in them, so I think Inquisitor vs Weeping Angels would be a little anti-climatic, as the Inquistors never blink. They might even still 'see' when they're sleeping.  As for the Dalek...what do we have in the Sanderson arsenal that could come close to being able to hold a candle, at least until that third Mistborn Trilogy when we have a supertech powered Mistborn.

Even humans have trace metal in them, so I think Inquisitor vs Weeping Angels would be a little anti-climatic, as the Inquistors never blink. They might even still 'see' when they're sleeping.  As for the Dalek...what do we have in the Sanderson arsenal that could come close to being able to hold a candle, at least until that third Mistborn Trilogy when we have a supertech powered Mistborn.

Soulcast the Dalek's shell into something soft and squishy. Plunge a Shardblade straight through the forcefield and into the squid within. Leave Nightblood lying around on Skaro and watch the hilarity ensue.

The possibilities are limitless. :P

Leave Nightblood lying around on Skaro and watch the hilarity ensue.

Almighty! Hilarity???? Are you freaking kidding me? That's the stuff of Nightmares.

"Would you like to destroy some evil today?"

"Exterminate!"

"Ok, would you like to exterminate some evil today?"

"Exterminate the Doctor. The Doctor is evil."

"Would you like to exterminate the Doctor today?"

"Exterminate!"