Kaladin and Odium

Sparks

My apologies if someone’s talked about this before, but I didn’t find it in a search. What’s going on when Kaladin is fighting the Pursuer after Teft dies? Stormlight powered Surgebinders are left unconscious and drained, even after Lift wakes them up with Lifelight.  The the Pursuer attacks Kaladin directly going against Moash’s (Odium’s?) orders, and then Kaladin gets a power up. Not through Ideals, not through Stormlight or the bond with Syl, but through...something else?

His eyes glow “yellow / red”. Red is Odium / Voidlight, but what does the yellow represent? How is a human using Voidlight, if he is? Is Odium tempting him with power to corrupt Kaladin from within? Was it driving a wedge between Kaladin and Syl, causing her to become more distant up until the Fourth Ideal was sworn? It actually reminded me of Amaram after he swallowed the Unmade at the end of Oathbringer.

Edited by Sparks

"Burning Gold" is Odium, although his light is violet/black (could be an indication that the Vessel and the Power aren't cooperating fully). Red is corruption. Moash/Odium was sending Kaladin nightmares to open cracks in his soul for Odium to enter. The yellow-red eyes were an indication that Odium was successful to a point. Yellow/Gold to indicate that Odium was powering him. Red to indicate that there was some corruption required to do so.

At least that was my take.

• 7 months later...

Apologies for resurrecting an older thread, but I was thinking about this too and found this. I also looked through that part of the story again and was reminded of this part a short bit later:

“Kaladin could barely see straight. He had only a vague memory of killing the Pursuer. He knew he’d done it, but remembering was hard. Thinking was hard.”

I don’t know for sure if it was Odium’s influence, but that seems to be what Leshwi is thinking. Unless she’s thinking of something else she didn’t reveal to us, since she didn’t complete her thought.