jasnah's backstory?

the13thshard

Does anyone think we'll get any of Jasnah's childhood story in RoW? There's been a little more allusion to her childhood insanity and trust issues in Oathbringer, and I really hoped she'd be the focus backstory character in RoW. She has a traumatic past and the foreshadowing of it seems to suggest that we'll be filled in at some point, maybe book 5. I just feel she'd be a much more fascinating character if we knew that childhood patterns that caused her to be so emotionally withdrawn. Any thoughts?

We'll probably get foreshadowing before, it's just a matter of if we understand it's foreshadowing. Brandon's a fan of pulling the most minute details to be the crux of something really important (like the whole "the end of the SA series is in the first pages of WOK" thing), so it's very possible we've already gotten foreshadowing.

I believe we will get some clues about her story, especially now she's Queen of Alethkar and naturally, nobody was expecting it. But her backstory will, according to current planned storyline, be explored in Book ten since she's flashback narrator there. 

I do have theories that her past has something to do with either witnessing something traumatic or being abused by a person close to her family. 

Edited by RamonaTehradin

Don't worry, at least according to this annotation, we will be getting plenty of Jasnah in the back five. I am still dancing off of that alone:

"I’ve avoided talking too much about Jasnah as a general rule, since I plan her to be a major (perhaps the major) character of the back five books, and so it’s best to keep focus off her for now. There will be plenty of time for discussions about her later."

15 hours ago, RamonaTehradin said:

I do have theories that her past has something to do with either witnessing something traumatic or being abused by a person close to her family. 

Gavilar could have a part in that. after the RoW prologue with Navani, I can see him while not being the cause of the possible traumatic event, in no way being helpful. The talk of Jasnah's "insanity" as a child seems to highlight the fact that mental illness is not dealt with well in Alethkar. We see this in Shallan's research on her disorder as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Gavilar had no patience to deal with his daughter, and may have locked her up or sent her away. You can see his impatience with her in the RoW prologue, where he pushes her betrothal to Amaram. He could very well be the "betrayer" of Jasnah's past alluded to in Oathbringer, leaving her to the "treatments" of her episodical insanity. 

it looks like we'll get a little more of Jasnah's pov from RoW compared to the earlier 3 according to this annotation, but not by much.

"Yeah, you don't get a lot of Jasnah in these early books though, unfortunately. There's a couple Jasnah viewpoints in the new book [Stormlight 4], so that's good. You'll get a little Jasnah, but you really aren't going to get a lot of Jasnah for a while."