A different take on "Formless"

Cheat Commando

I have my own crackpot theory on Shallan's origin.... It's pretty bizarre, but it fits with a few of the clues we've been given (but not all)

Shallan's red hair is attributed to her "impure lineage"

Shallan's mother calling her "one of them"

Her time as a starving street urchin (if you believe in that line from OB when she touched the Heart of the Rebel and became a starving street urchin. I believe that was calling upon an actual memory)

She is Lin's biological daughter

She refers to this dark, unwanted personality as "Formless"

Here's the theory:

Shallan is the daughter of Lin Davar and a parshwoman. She was not welcomed in the home, especially as a half-breed, and so lived on the streets. She was Formless, just like her biological parshwoman mother, until SOMETHING happened. Perhaps she got a spren (or an Unmade) in her gemheart that helped reestablish her missing Connection, and then she would sneak into the Davar gardens and pretend to be loved there. Or maybe she had enough sense from her human sDNA to think for herself and still sneak into the gardens and pretend to be loved. These lies attracted Pattern to her, she gained the ability to Lightweaver (and Soulcast) and transformed herself into the "human" known as Shallan Davar. Lin and his first wife knew the truth (and maybe Helaran?), but the other brothers welcomed Shallan without a problem, because they were still young, innocent and impressionable.

Anyway, the fact that singers can take different "forms" was the key behind my thoughts.

What do y'all think?

Holes:

doesn't take into account Veil's diminished color-sense (which I think is significant)

Doesn't explain why the rest of her family is messed up

Doesn't involve the Ghostbloods

Shallan is biological dauther of both her parrents:

Words of Radiance Omaha signing (March 13, 2014)
#2 Share Copy

Play/Pause

Questioner

Is Shallan's mother, the one that she kills, is that her birth mother?

Brandon Sanderson

It is.  Good question. Good question.  You had a theory there that I may have just killed.

Questioner

That's okay!

Words of Radiance Philadelphia signing (March 21, 2014)
#1 Share Copy

Play/Pause

Questioner

Is Shallan's father her actual father?

Brandon Sanderson

Ah! People asked if her mother were her mother. No one's asked yet if her father were her father... Yes, it was her father. Yes, I will give you that, yes. Her mother and father as presented in the stories were actually her mother and father.

10 hours ago, Cheat Commando said:

I have my own crackpot theory on Shallan's origin.... It's pretty bizarre, but it fits with a few of the clues we've been given (but not all)

Shallan's red hair is attributed to her "impure lineage"

Shallan's mother calling her "one of them"

Her time as a starving street urchin (if you believe in that line from OB when she touched the Heart of the Rebel and became a starving street urchin. I believe that was calling upon an actual memory)

She is Lin's biological daughter

She refers to this dark, unwanted personality as "Formless"

Here's the theory:

Shallan is the daughter of Lin Davar and a parshwoman. She was not welcomed in the home, especially as a half-breed, and so lived on the streets. She was Formless, just like her biological parshwoman mother, until SOMETHING happened. Perhaps she got a spren (or an Unmade) in her gemheart that helped reestablish her missing Connection, and then she would sneak into the Davar gardens and pretend to be loved there. Or maybe she had enough sense from her human sDNA to think for herself and still sneak into the gardens and pretend to be loved. These lies attracted Pattern to her, she gained the ability to Lightweaver (and Soulcast) and transformed herself into the "human" known as Shallan Davar. Lin and his first wife knew the truth (and maybe Helaran?), but the other brothers welcomed Shallan without a problem, because they were still young, innocent and impressionable.

Anyway, the fact that singers can take different "forms" was the key behind my thoughts.

What do y'all think?

Holes:

doesn't take into account Veil's diminished color-sense (which I think is significant)

Doesn't explain why the rest of her family is messed up

Doesn't involve the Ghostbloods

Shallan looks like her mother.

From the official game:

image.thumb.jpg.5fb229bab84924e374349b16fad6dfcf.jpg

At least some artwork (particularly the Odium card) has some things that aren’t explained until RoW. (Odium has a Fused in stone...) Brandon approved all the art, and was directly involved in the game creation, so I think we can assume the resemblance is cannon.

Worth noting the Lightweaver card shows Shallan, Veil, Radiant, a bunch of formless figures and an unclear male figure. That may be Adolin (it looks a bit like him) but it could also be a future Identity in the process of forming. And the cards definitely include some book 3 stuff...