Map of The Final Empire | WIP

MapEffects

With ash literally falling from the sky at my house here in Oregon due to all the forest fires...It seemed like an appropriate time to start drawing a map of The Final Empire ;). It turns out that even though I love the books, I'm not sure Scadrial is a place I would actually want to live.  

Nevertheless, Mistborn was the series that got me back into the fantasy genre and caused me to begin doing cartography more regularly. This style of map is a little more simple than some of my other recent work. Part of the reason for this is I wanted to just have some fun with a little more traditional fantasy style, but I also want to show that with just a little bit of knowledge, anybody can draw a pretty cool fantasy map. You don't need to have "talent" for drawing or even have to consider yourself an artist to have fun in the world of cartography. 

I hope to share more updates with you as I go, but here is the first glimpse of the map. I look forward to hearing what you think and letting you see how it progresses!

- Josh

5f5fbb88dace7_09_14.20-FinalEmpire.thumb.jpg.4293e7ef55fd66be7b6c61f397f472b2.jpg

3 hours ago, MapEffects said:

With ash literally falling from the sky at my house here in Oregon due to all the forest fires...It seemed like an appropriate time to start drawing a map of The Final Empire ;). It turns out that even though I love the books, I'm not sure Scadrial is a place I would actually want to live.

Hahaha, yeah, I live in Eugene Oregon, and with the world suddenly becoming a giant ashtray I thought about how depressing it  would be to live in the Final Empire. Or Dickensian London for that matter.

This is what the sun looked like last Tuesday (which was about the worst day for us) spoilered below.

Spoiler

The aperture is set to show the true color of the sky.

20200909_132134.jpg.9a5f64dc3eef807ba7e53af2e7c893bc.jpg

The aperture is set to show the true color of the sun.

20200914_152541.jpg.04c8d634c9bf875d5d73694e0f21551c.jpg

Crazy stuff!

Your map is looking great, excited to see the updates!

10 minutes ago, Argent said:

Oh, good start, looks neat!

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Hahaha, yeah, I live in Eugene Oregon, and with the world suddenly becoming a giant ashtray I thought about how depressing it  would be to live in the Final Empire. Or Dickensian London for that matter.

This is what the sun looked like last Tuesday (which was about the worst day for us) spoilered below

Your map is looking great, excited to see the updates!

Yeeeeah it's really crazy how nasty it is outside. I'm in the Roseburg area but I have several friends up in Eugene who have been sharing updates with me regarding the big fire near you guys. I think the craziest thing is within the last couple months I actually drove through both of those areas in Lane and Douglas county that are now a big pile of ash. Nature is good about bouncing back, but it's weird to think how different it now looks.

And thank you regarding the map! I'm excited to share more soon :)

- Josh

17 minutes ago, MapEffects said:

Yeeeeah it's really crazy how nasty it is outside. I'm in the Roseburg area but I have several friends up in Eugene who have been sharing updates with me regarding the big fire near you guys. I think the craziest thing is within the last couple months I actually drove through both of those areas in Lane and Douglas county that are now a big pile of ash. Nature is good about bouncing back, but it's weird to think how different it now looks.

Yeah we have friends that lived out on the McKenzie highway who have lost their houses, just sucks how quick these fires rolled in.

18 minutes ago, MapEffects said:

And thank you regarding the map! I'm excited to share more soon :)

Looking forward to it!

• 2 weeks later...

What do the Pits of Hathsin look like from the outside?

I’ve been working on adding some of the details to my map, and I’m a bit stuck on the Pits. The descriptions I can find seem a bit vague and almost imply the caverns are just holes in the ground out in the open. But from a practical standpoint that seems like it would be extremely difficult to keep hidden if you have skaa, obligators, and guards milling around haha.

Most of the descriptions I can find are for the inside of the caverns themselves, not the outside. The only thing I have to go on is the most recent map Isaac Stewart did, which makes the pits appear like gouges in the side of a mountain. I’m hoping to get a little more of a clear description from the books. Unfortunately, I don’t own digital versions of the books otherwise I would just do a search.

AD5F6FB0-165E-4C72-9C89-61E4B4BBF7E2.thumb.jpeg.0806ede863c5d92ed902a5c5f623b2b9.jpeg

"Destroyed them?" Ham asked. "How do you destroy the Pits of Hathsin? They're just a bunch of cracks in the ground!"

Chapter 33, TFE. 

Chapters 21 and 32 will also likely be helpful. 

On 9/26/2020 at 9:55 AM, MapEffects said:

What do the Pits of Hathsin look like from the outside?

I’ve been working on adding some of the details to my map, and I’m a bit stuck on the Pits. The descriptions I can find seem a bit vague and almost imply the caverns are just holes in the ground out in the open. But from a practical standpoint that seems like it would be extremely difficult to keep hidden if you have skaa, obligators, and guards milling around haha.

Most of the descriptions I can find are for the inside of the caverns themselves, not the outside. The only thing I have to go on is the most recent map Isaac Stewart did, which makes the pits appear like gouges in the side of a mountain. I’m hoping to get a little more of a clear description from the books. Unfortunately, I don’t own digital versions of the books otherwise I would just do a search.

AD5F6FB0-165E-4C72-9C89-61E4B4BBF7E2.thumb.jpeg.0806ede863c5d92ed902a5c5f623b2b9.jpeg

Edited by Mist