Rereading TWoK ch. 1: Ashertmarn?

Iarwainiel I

I just re-read chapter 1 of The Way of Kings, and I was struck by a couple things - the prevalence of the color red in the decor, when the Kholin color is blue, and the description Szeth gives of a "new rhythm" played by the Parshendi drummers: "...like a quartet of thumping hearts, pumping waves of invisible blood through the room." At least twice in the first 2 pages, he uses the word "revelry" to describe what's going on.

The red might relate to something else, but the rest of it (to me) kind of screams "Heart of the Revel."

What do you all think?

I don't personally think it's Ashertmarn.  There's a difference between the treaty celebration and the chaos in Kholinar that's hard to describe, but it's there.  The treaty party was chaotic (or maybe that's just how my introvert self sees large gatherings), and I'm fairly certain 95% of those present were drunk, which is fairly similar to what the outer ring of the Oathgate celebration was like, but there are some major differences.  Also, in OB, the closer Shallan was to Ashertmarn, the harder it was to remain focused, until she almost lost herself.  I didn't see any of that in WOK.

Argent

When the Everstorm passes over Kholinar in Oathbringer. That is when Ashertmarn appears, that's when they start reporting, "Hey there's a darkness around the palace." Did the Everstorm bring Ashertmarn there? Or did it kind of awaken or unleash it?

Brandon Sanderson

A little of both.

Skyward Chicago signing (Nov. 16, 2018)

15 minutes ago, Iarwainiel said:

I wonder if Brandon's "both" means [bring + awaken/unleash], or [awaken + unleash]...

I personally lead to a he is normally more omnipresent but the everstorm concentrated him their and empowered him with purpose.