Is Calamity a Delver? (spoilers)

WorldSinger!

Both The Reckoners and Skyward series are disconnected from the cosmere right? But what if they are linked to each other? The way Calamity viewed man kind reminds me a lot of how the Delvers viewed man kind. Calamity also said that he came from a peaceful place with much less stimuli. He also took on human form, so he used to be something else... Maybe he came from the nowhere? With multi dimensional elements added in, it could be a thing...right?

Wow, I don't remember the part about stimuli, but that kind of gives the idea some credence, apart from the way he views humans. Very interesting idea.

Although, it does present some problems. It would mean that Reckoners would have to take place in the Cytoverse, which also involves Earth. And you'd think that they would mention extraterrestrial life or cytonic abilities in Reckoners if that were the case, or the event of Calamity and people with superpowers in Skyward. Also, of course, why doesn't Calamity appear in traditional delver form.

But very interesting idea. I bet Sanderson based his concept of delvers off of Calamity.

Dropping a relevant WOB:

Questioner

Calamity from the Reckoners series–is there any connection between him and the delvers from Starsight?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Very, very loose connection, but there is a connection. 

Questioner

Okay, because I was like, "They both come from the dark nowhere, quiet, they hate people and everything. There is a connection."

Brandon Sanderson

There is a connection. And Apocalypse Guard was kind of supposed to bridge between these things, but it didn't end up coming out, and it may not even be a bridge when we finally revise it because we have to make the book good, rather than worrying about that. But it was supposed to kind of do that. It's gonna work well if I can fix the ending. I've just gotta fix the ending.

LTUE 2020 (Feb. 15, 2020)

Edited by Elegy

• 1 year later...
On 6/26/2020 at 2:46 AM, Spencer Nightshade said:

Wow, I don't remember the part about stimuli, but that kind of gives the idea some credence, apart from the way he views humans. Very interesting idea.

Although, it does present some problems. It would mean that Reckoners would have to take place in the Cytoverse, which also involves Earth. And you'd think that they would mention extraterrestrial life or cytonic abilities in Reckoners if that were the case, or the event of Calamity and people with superpowers in Skyward. Also, of course, why doesn't Calamity appear in traditional delver form.

But very interesting idea. I bet Sanderson based his concept of delvers off of Calamity.

I don't think that space/time applies to delvers

• 4 months later...