which ebooks vendors are compatible with calibre??

Well, pretty much what it says in the title. I can find a list of calibre-compatible formats, but most vendors are not specifying the format until after you buy the ebook. Also, I have no idea if some of them put in some anti-piracy protections that make it only readable by their specific program.

I just want to be sure I can read my ebook; I once had troubles opening one, and since then I've been super suspicious

I use kindle and buy everything from amazon so that usually keeps it simple. I’ve sent a few PDFs and Word documents to my kindle email to read on it and it automatically converts. To answer your question I found a website that you will probably find useful. Hope it helps!

https://www.the-ebook-reader.com/ebook-formats.html

Edited by Ammanas

Calibre will read things from most major vendors, including Amazon's proprietary formats. If you want to edit or convert or something, then you're a bit more limited. Even still, I try to be cautious when I buy. If you can't find by searching online what format a certain seller distributes their ebooks in (so that you can compare it to the list of supported formats), I would be wary. 

Edited by datalaughing

I believe most, if not all, of Brandon's works are DRM free, so you should be able to upload them via Calibre. Your device is possibly a factor, if you have a Kindle I think you need to use the .mobi format. Otherwise, I think most of the others use .epub and Calibre usually auto converts the file to whichever your device requires. If it doesn't, you can try to manually convert it. 

However, if you're reading different authors/books they may have DRM and you would need to break that in order to read the book on your device if the device isn't compatible with the service that you bought the ebook from. For example, if you wanted to read a book you bought from Barnes and Noble on a Kindle it wouldn't work if you don't tamper with the DRM. I do not condone doing this on books you have not purchased, you should support your authors if you want to read their stuff.