So I have a suspicion about the identity of the elusive spren of the Radiant order of Truthwatchers. 

In Edgedancer (about a page into chapter six), Lift’s Cultivationspren, Wyndle, mentions a type of spren known as Keenspren. 

Context: Lift was talking with a young street urchin, using all kinds of very strange words in odd ways. After the urchin leaves, Wyndle says: 

“Mistress, that was the strangest conversation I’ve ever heard, and I once grew an entire garden for some keenspren.”

Truthwatcher’s spren are described as looking like “light reflected onto a surface through a crystal.” And Glys, Renarin’s corrupted spren, looks like a crystalline snowflake growing up from Renarin’s back. Many of the examples of corrupted spren we’ve seen were still recognizable as the type of spren they were.

Keen means sharp, either in mind or as an edge, like a blade. I think this correlates well with what we’ve heard of the spren’s appearance in addition to the traditional personality attributed to the order of Truthwatchers. 

I would love to hear other suspicions about the Truthwatcherspren. This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, so please share your thoughts on my theory!

FeatherWriter

Can you tell me what the Truthwatcher spren are called, like do they have a name? I know it's not in Oathbringer.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, I'm not gonna canonize that yet. There're things I am still thinking about.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

Brandon has not decided yet.

Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I think I remember that when Edgedancer was released, someone pointed out that in their translated version the word ‘keen’ was translated to mean wail. I only have the english version so unfortunately I cant make sure myself, but I’ve also been very curious about this. We know there are other sapient spren that do not belong the the spren of the ten orders, like the mistspren. I think it’s very possible there are more. 
I like the idea that keenspren are connected somehow to Threnody. If the word ‘keen’ actually means ‘wail in grief for a dead person’, that would fit thematically with the naming scheme for that entire system. 

Yep, I'm all for this. A Discord user (goes by JennAiel, iirc) threw this around some time ago, and I've been a fan since.

Another connection is the "sorrow" Glys keeps mentioning, which may have some connection to the "Keen" in Keenspren, and it also fits with the "Learned and Giving" attributes that Truthwatchers are supposed to have, if you count the "keen" to mean enthusiastic and intellectually sharp.

Edited by asmodeus