Healing an aluminium gnat

Oltux72

We know that alumium protects an allomancer from foreign Investiture. So you cannot heal them with Progression, AonDor or Forgery while they are burning it. But what about later effects? If you have been healed with Forgery, you have to stay forged, depending on the extent of the injury possibly permanently. If that is the case and you burn aluminium, does that amount to suicide?

I would imagine so.  progression and AonDor healing would probably keep, because once the healing is complete the investiture is used up, forgery healing on the other hand seems liek it should require the forged person to maintain the forgery, so It would make sense that burning that investiture away using aluminum would revert your body back to normal/wounded state.

4 hours ago, 18th Shard said:

I don't know about that - while Shai's forgery definitely would have that hazard, I don't believe Ashravan had any requirement to be stamped for the resealing to remain in force. 

he did.  Shai explains that he will need to be restamped daily once the stamp takes.

9 hours ago, 18th Shard said:

Ah, you mistake me. I am referring to the Resealing that healed the arrow to the head, before Shai ever is released from prison, Forgeries not done by Shai but by the palace Resealers.

ahh, right.  good point.  i'm not sure.  we never get a lot of details into how resealing works, so its hard to say for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2020 at 1:43 PM, Dunkum said:

progression and AonDor healing would probably keep, because once the healing is complete the investiture is used up, forgery healing on the other hand seems liek it should require the forged person to maintain the forgery, so It would make sense that burning that investiture away using aluminum would revert your body back to normal/wounded state.

On 4/20/2020 at 8:24 AM, Dunkum said:

ahh, right.  good point.  i'm not sure.  we never get a lot of details into how resealing works, so its hard to say for sure.

I was able to find this quote from the coppermind: "Resealing is expected to work in a similar fashion to Aon Ien, and to a lesser extent other healing methods throughout the cosmere."

While this isn't conclusive, it seems to imply that Resealing is more of an instant fix than a continuous process. If that is the case, then I expect that burning aluminum would not affect a past Resealing. If you're currently under the effects of a soul stamp, however, aluminum would probably disrupt it, as it is a continuous process. For Ashravan to burn aluminum would likely result in his death (although Shai did theorize that he might not need the treatment after a few years - depending on when he burns the aluminum, sometthing of his mind may still remain).