Who were the Takers?

navybrandt

The following is a quote from Chapter 2 of WoK:

"I've failed, spirit," he replied, squeezing his eyes shut. "Must you torment me so?"
   They were all dead. Cenn and Dallet, and before that Tukks and the Takers. Before that, Tien. Before That, blood on his hands and the corpse of a young girl with pale skin.

My question is who are/were the Takers?  Is that a group of people or a family name or something else?  I haven't seen this reference anywhere else, so we just might not know anything about them.

I find it likely that it is a family name, or a nickname given to a pair of brothers or something. But I agree, it sounds somewhat mysterious. I'll make sure to keep my eyes up for any new references to the name/nickname/whatever.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hm, I did actually specifically note that passage when I was re-reading WoK. It definitely stuck out to me, and I was pouring over WoR to see any more references, but couldn't find any.

I did think maybe it was some sort of small 'slave escape group' that Kaladin had tried forming a few times before he ended up on his way to the Shattered Plains. But then again, knowing Brandon, it's probably some sort of mystery he'll tease and 'RAFO' us with. >.<

I had presumed it was a group of slaves. I'll keep an eye out for them.

Edit: t he coppermind has a single sentence on them:

The Takers were a squad of soldiers lead by Tukks on Roshar, Kaladin was a member.[1]

but I'm guessing that's extrapolated off the one sentence we have, so anyone's guess is good. Edited by Delightful

• 2 weeks later...

The following is a quote from Chapter 2 of WoK:

"I've failed, spirit," he replied, squeezing his eyes shut. "Must you torment me so?"

They were all dead. Cenn and Dallet, and before that Tukks and the Takers. Before that, Tien. Before That, blood on his hands and the corpse of a young girl with pale skin.

My question is who are/were the Takers?  Is that a group of people or a family name or something else?  I haven't seen this reference anywhere else, so we just might not know anything about them.

Incredibly unlikely that they were a band of slaves he tried to free.  The sentence lets us know the approximate point in time when Tukks and the Takers died--after Tien's death, but before Kaladin was branded a slave.  That puts it square in the middle of his time spent in Amaram's army.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic