Necromantic vs. resurrective current

Ripheus23

Take the difference between raising a corpse, and resurrecting a person, and get a magic system out of it haha

In this (unnamed for now) setting, the above is the base, with features like:

Override: generally, a stronger resurrector can override a necromancer's control over a dead being. This applies even after the dead creature is fully raised. Of course there's a necromancer antagonist so he is strong enough to win a relevant fight of this nature (regarding the remains of dead gods...).

Thanatos decay: raised beings will, without sufficient "nutrition", decay from corpses to skeletons to ghosts. I can't remember why I wanted liches and "wraiths" specifically in that sequence, and for now I have liches as the result of using necromancy on oneself while committing suicide.

EDIT: I also have magical robotics, possibly as the result of dual current input, here.

Edited by Ripheus23

3 hours ago, Rask said:

there is a ton of variety in the setting

An example, one country has it where everyone can resurrect one person, once. So the king/queen's guard are sworn off love, since otherwise they might be compromised if it came to their one-off power during an assassination.

Also, resurrective current is correlated with things like water and magma, whereas necromantic current is more atmospheric. The Skullstorm is a perpetual weather phenomenon studied by the nunlike Clay Sisterhood using bonekites (kites made with bone frames) for instance.

They both exist. The difference mostly comes down to whether free will is restored to the risen body. Now you can't directly get mindless servants from resurrection but most societies include unwritten/written laws to the effect that if someone resurrects you, you owe them some gratitude---and there is a class of "dire resurrectors" who try to take advantage of this.