what would happen if you attacked an unmade with nightbood?

Kalaksbreath

7 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Also, per the WOB below I get he impression taht Drawing Nightblood is more about an act of Intent than necessarily a physical act, it's described as Unchaining a monster and that Nightbloods physical form doesnt actually matter much

He still needs a power source just like everything else in the universe.

8 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Nightblood (Vasher threw him a couple times and he gouged the floor but then seemed to go dormant

Two points.  1.  Pretty sure Nightblood was sheathed at the time.  2. Floors are not particularly strong.  They can be gouged fairly easily by mundane means.

9 minutes ago, Quantus said:

That being said, you might be able to simply give the Unmade the Test the way Vasher liked to do: toss him over there and let their own dark natures convince them to draw and be destroyed by nightblood, though that would be hella-risky.  

Yes.  Also In the mean time you would have an Unmade holding Nightblood.  Glorysinger did something similar during twilight falls with her thousands of breath.  The war ended and Vasher was so horrified he killed her,

I still don't still how the power source is gonna be an issue; surely there's an entire Unmade right there that he can use for that task. 

I didn't realize that breaking off physical contact wasn't enough to protect the wielder from him, though; that legitimately makes this tactic a lot less viable. Maybe tossing him at Re-Shephir's feet could work? I feel like she doesn't quite have the creativity needed to make good use of a weapon she's never seen before, so it wouldn't be completely suicidal. But I cannot imagine that being a good idea with any of the other Unmade we've seen in action. 

10 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

I still don't still how the power source is gonna be an issue; surely there's an entire Unmade right there that he can use for that task. 

The Unmade is going to have to hold Nightblood if you want to fuel it that way.  Nightblood can't drain just anything.

11 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

I didn't realize that breaking off physical contact wasn't enough to protect the wielder from him, though; that legitimately makes this tactic a lot less viable. Maybe tossing him at Re-Shephir's feet could work? I feel like she doesn't quite have the creativity needed to make good use of a weapon she's never seen before, so it wouldn't be completely suicidal. But I cannot imagine that being a good idea with any of the other Unmade we've seen in action. 

Re-Shephire understands violence enough to pick up and use a weapon.  She has clearly witnessed sword murders before.

6 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

could you let the power of the unmade into you and use that power to fule night blood as you kill the unmade?

@Karger

Maybe.  You would probably die even if successful.

Is it possible that when nightblood kills people or will kill unmade, he destroys their innate investiture but for the purposes of feeling himself, he takes investiture from his holder only. 

In that case, it would explain that to kill an unmade, you have to hold a lot of investiture 

or if you can make an unmade hold nightblood. 

Re-Shephir understands swords, yes, but trying to use Nightblood like he's regular sword is probably among the least effective ways one can use him. So just toss him and run like hell; it might take awhile for him to kill her, but she might never realize that using him freely is a bad idea.

14 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Is it possible that when nightblood kills people or will kill unmade, he destroys their innate investiture but for the purposes of feeling himself, he takes investiture from his holder only. 

In that case, it would explain that to kill an unmade, you have to hold a lot of investiture 

or if you can make an unmade hold nightblood.

I think that if you were to use him to try and kill an unmade the reason you would need so much investiture is that you would need to keep him out long enough for him to be able to suck up the unmade if you hit the unmade with him then put him away it wouldn't work.

1 hour ago, Kalaksbreath said:

I think that if you were to use him to try and kill an unmade the reason you would need so much investiture is that you would need to keep him out long enough for him to be able to suck up the unmade if you hit the unmade with him then put him away it wouldn't work.

Yes but 

does he feed on the unmades investiture while destroying it? If so then his holder need not use his own investiture to feed him and he can hold him for a long time without any problem 

Just now, The traveller said:

does he feed on the unmades investiture while destroying it? If so then his holder need not use his own investiture to feed him and he can hold him for a long time without any problem 

I thought that too but it seems to me that it would be too easy. 

5 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

I thought that too but it seems to me that it would be too easy. 

Yes that is true 

that is why I was suggesting that may be when attacking an unmade or basically anyone, he does not feed on their investiture but destroys it. 

But I know that investiture can’t be destroyed so that investiture probably becomes free investiture in the cosmere

2 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Yes that is true 

that is why I was suggesting that may be when attacking an unmade or basically anyone, he does not feed on their investiture but destroys it. 

But I know that investiture can’t be destroyed so that investiture probably becomes free investiture in the cosmere

well, I think he would feed both on the person holding him and the unmade like normal. 

(it would also likely make him a lot more powerful because he keeps a lot of the investiture he eats)

2 hours ago, Gilphon said:

Re-Shephir understands swords, yes, but trying to use Nightblood like he's regular sword is probably among the least effective ways one can use him. So just toss him and run like hell; it might take awhile for him to kill her, but she might never realize that using him freely is a bad idea.

Re-Shephir is complicated but she may well be powerful enough to hold Nightblood for minutes or even hours.  Her sister Unmade Ba-Ado-Mishram managed to keep the Parshe in voidform all by herself.  Assuming a similar magnitude of investiture I would postulate that minutes or hours are likely.  For Re-Shephir to be useful she would have to have some capacity to realize threats to herself and obey basic instructions from Odium.  Also we have no way of knowing if Nightblood can even tempt spren.

52 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Yes but 

Unmade investiture is also identity locked.  Nightblood has trouble with that.  Also if it worked that way there would be no cost to using Nightblood provided you killed people quickly enough as you could fuel him on there investiture.

41 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Destroying investiture is impossible.

41 minutes ago, The traveller said:

No it will probably go back to the shard that made it(in this case Odium).

36 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

well, I think he would feed both on the person holding him and the unmade like normal. 

Nightblood only "feeds" on the person holding him.  He destroys whatever he is stuck in.

3 hours ago, Karger said:

He still needs a power source just like everything else in the universe.

Right, I was agreeing with you.  Per the WOB I posted unsheathing him is more than just a physical act, and his physical form "isn't that important" and we know he maintains a connection to his wielders, so even if they physically let go that's no guarantee that he couldnt still use them as said power source.  

Two points.  1.  Pretty sure Nightblood was sheathed at the time.  2. Floors are not particularly strong.  They can be gouged fairly easily by mundane means.

It puffed black smoke when it landed, so it wasnt mundane.  The WOB I posted said it might not need to be fully unsheathed to become dangerous, so it might not matter if it was fully drawn or just a little.  

Yes.  Also In the mean time you would have an Unmade holding Nightblood.  Glorysinger did something similar during twilight falls with her thousands of breath.  The war ended and Vasher was so horrified he killed her,

Ya, definately hella-risky unless you have some reason to believe the process is going to be unusually fast.  

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

It puffed black smoke when it landed, so it wasnt mundane.  The WOB I posted said it might not need to be fully unsheathed to become dangerous, so it might not matter if it was fully drawn or just a little.  

Nightblood is often creating black smoke weather sheathed or not.

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

Ya, definately hella-risky unless you have some reason to believe the process is going to be unusually fast.  

Which we do not have.

• Chaos locked this topic