The Bleeding Spike Tavern

Elend  Venture

Aderet eyed the barkeep warily. After he'd spat inches away from her, he wasn't going to leave her sight anytime soon. "Tea. If you've got any," she told him. Drinking from one of their cups didn't exactly appeal to her. It was more for an excuse to tip him more than he deserved that she even asked. With that extra money, he might be able to keep the place in better condition for future customers. Generous, right?

@Elend Venture

Nnimm was very self-contained. They didn't seem to like imposing themself on anyone too much. Aderet could respect that. Better than Dusk who insisted on getting his way everywhere, always. There was a contrast and it was one she appreciated.

"Roshar?" Aderet mused. "My governess was from there. Never seemed to talk about trouble." She reclasped her hands and shrugged. "Time flows weirdly, I suppose. She likely came from earlier or later down the time stream. I don't know exactly how it all works, but..." She bit her lip contemplatively. 

Not ladylike. her mind scolded her and she stopped after a moment.

"Scholar's Guild," she said. "They popped up recently. They'd know more than me and they're constantly looking for more information. Perhaps the most official method you'll find that won't end up with you as an experiment."

@SingingMosaic

Damon left for the kitchen and, after a few minutes, returned with two steaming cups of tea. He walked to Aderet and Nnimm's table, placing the tea before them. Hate to waste good tea if they don't want it, but might as well make up for the spit accident. Thought Damon, stepping back.

"I wasn't sure if you wanted tea, Nnimm, but I thought that I would include a cup of tea free of charge, you know, as compensation for your negative experience with us earlier." He blushed again. Seriously, you always blush when you mess up, whether when failing to fulfill the commanded hit or when you spit on some poor customers, I mean, that's the first time, but . . . Eh, I'll work on that habit. He bustled around to the end of the bar and leaned against it, looking out of the window into dying light as an orange cast came over the city under the finally setting sun.

@Silva

I read somewhere that the Alleyverse translation effect doesn't extend to text, and I'm not sure what languages he has his menu written in, so hopefully I didn't break something. If it was one they probably would know, oops? It's been a long day maybe they're still disoriented. :)

Sorry, I'm not getting the block quote to work at the moment.

Nnimm hummed contemplatively, looking down at their cup. They picked it up and curiously breathed in the steam curling from the top. "That's all right," they said. "I can't read your menu, so it both helps your case and saves me having to figure out how to broach the subject. Though," and they glanced up curiously, "what do you have? For future reference?" They were going to have to figure out what trade and currency and potential work looked like in this place. And a million other things...

@Elend Venture

Looking back toward Aderet, they said, "It is recent, within the last couple years, so depending on how long ago you knew her, she may not have been ... from another point in time," they finished slowly, puzzling out words. Another point in time! I might just pop from the sheer pressure of built up questions. "Where would I find this guild?" they asked curiously.

@Silva

Money had never been an issue for Aderet. She fished out a couple of coins, more than enough to pay for the tea and placed them on the table for the barkeep to take. "Thank you," she told him curtly then returned her attention to Nnimm.

@Elend Venture

"Their headquarters are a nice two story building not far from here. If you go right when you leave and turn left at the intersection, they should be on your left. It's easy to tell which one it is--no one has gotten around to restoring the rest of the street since the war," she said, using her finger to trace the path on the table. "Or most of the city, for that matter."

She held the handle of the teacup, but didn't drink. The drink's color was off-putting and Aderet didn't trust it.

@SingingMosaic

• 3 weeks later...

Nnimm regarded the tea for a moment more before setting it down. Even if the barkeep intended no harm, which was likely since harming his customers would hurt his business, there was no guarantee they could safely drink whatever was in that cup. They could eat some things humans couldn't, and vice versa. It was a risk they didn't want to take with nowhere to stay yet and no knowledge of the resources that might be available to them. "I think I should be on my way, it has been a long day and I have many things to figure out before I can rest well. But thank you for the information," they said to Aderet. "I appreciate all of it." They glanced down at the small items she had placed on the table, currency by the gist of the exchange. "Is there an ... equivalent amount I can offer? I don't carry much in the way of money, usually but I wouldn't like to leave without paying. Not a good first impression to make anyway," they finished, the corners of their mouth quirking upward slightly. Not a wholly foreign expression, but still not a very familiar one.

@Silva

@Elend Venture

"The tea was without charge, as a sort of. . . compensation for the spit incident." He paused, glancing away momentarily. "If you were wondering about hearing our menu before you went, we've got buffalo mallard chicken wings, stew, chowder, chouta, roasted mallard chicken, crescent rolls, curry, and Scottish shortbread." The barkeep rattled off from memory. "As far as drinks go, we've got violet wine, sapphire wine, cheap whiskey, good whiskey, lavis ale, port, light lager, dark lager, and of course auburn wine. We've also got coffee and (as you know) tea. The bar over there with the rifle racks is well stocked enough that you can find pretty much whatever you need there." He pointed over to where the smooth hardwood bar wrapped around the inside of the building, until it ran perpendicular to the direction in which it started. Behind it upon that wall, placed upon racks were hundreds of weapons. Cudgels, pistols, carbines, full length rifles, swords, polearms, switchblade stilettos, long daggers, you name it, it was most likely there.

@Silva

@SingingMosaic

Edited by Elend Venture
Clarification of post.

While the barkeep recited the menu by heart, Aderet considered Nnimm's question. A couple years ago, there had been an attempt to create a standard AlleyCity currency. Chrysts was the suggested term, if she remembered currently. Due to the much diversity of visitors, a standard rate was never come up with and people tended to just use whatever currency they had on hand. Orderly cash registers were few and far between because of this.

"In general," she told Nnimm. "Most people accept a wide range of currency. Unless they're one of those sticklers..." Aderet eyed the barkeep. "In that case, I'm no help. Exchange rates are too complicated for me."

@SingingMosaic @Elend Venture

Edited by Silva
Adjusting to work with Elend's edits.

cue Talas and family leaving
they are gone now idc what ark says

A man in nondescript clothing wearing a backpack stepped into an alley (not an Alley alley, just an alley alley).

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   

A few minutes later, now without a backpack, Arkaitz Ducharme stepped out of the alley. His skin was the color of cold-poured concrete and his hair glistened like burnished silver. He wore simple spectacles, with brass rims and stained black lenses, though not dark enough to stop the lavender light from pouring out of his eyes. A laced silk shirt was next, embroidered with black thorns and vines around his collarbones, sheer enough to see his well-toned chest and abdomen beneath the shirt. Over that he wore a knit lavender suit jacket, and on his legs he wore white leggings, embroidered much like the shirt, traveling down the outer seam of the pants. A few inches below his knees, his leggings were tucked into black boots, with extended heels on the end for a few added inches of height and style.  

It doesn't seem to be working, Arkaitz thought, looking at the passerby, who, for the most part gave him an odd glare and stepped around him. Arkaitz realized what was happening, and with a slight flick of a mental switch, everything around him changed drastically. Or more accurately, everyone. To those who Arkaitz could not affect, their eyes would perceive thin, ethereal tentacle-like protrusions, mist flowing out of Arkaitz's eyes and into the chests of everyone who could see him. His power of attraction was now fully active, and whoever felt it could not help but focus on him. Cars stopped to watch him leisurely stroll down the street, with cars often utilizing other cars to stop. People walking on the sidewalk now didn't know whether they wanted to pull as close from him as they could or give him the bubble of space he deserved. Arkaitz would have preferred the latter, but he got a decent amount of the former as well. After a moment of consideration, he toned down the effects of his primary ability, because if he had this mob behind him, how could he get where he wanted to go? Besides, the constant car crashes were quite irritating.

Arkaitz continued to walk down the sidewalk and then took a turn, right through the doors of the Bleeding Spike.

@Sherlock Holmes

Edited by bees?

Talon looked up from his washing of the dishes, sensing something odd. He poked his head out of the kitchen and saw a wildly attractive man stroll right into the building. He tapped his chin for a moment, grinning, then finished up the dishes quickly and headed out to lean against the bar. He allowed himself a slight smile, absently watching the handsome dude while he looked around at the other customers.

Damon looked up as a rather strange man walked in, wearing a nice suit jacket and embroidered hose. The man drew his attention like few things he had ever felt before, all of which possessed some type of strong magic. Unsafe magic. He maintained a smile but quietly levered open his shotgun under the bar, dropping in two shells of buckshot by feel. 

"Good evening, Sir, how can I help you?" Said Damon in an amicable and even tone.

@bees?

Edited by Elend Venture
Alteration of vocabulary for superior sentence structure.

Arkaitz pulled up a chair and sat down at the bar. "I'll pay for a drink and a meal, good bartender," Arkaitz said in his musical accent, harsh yet smooth at the same time, "And perhaps for something to keep me entertained afterwards."

@Elend Venture @Sherlock Holmes

Edited by bees?

Talon nodded. "What sort of drink and meal are you thinking?" He slid a menu in front of the strange man, smiling at him. "Call me over if you need anything." He swayed a few steps away, a little irritated about how bartending rules kept him from being too incredibly forward with costumers.

16 hours ago, bees? said:

Arkaitz pulled up a chair and sat down at the bar. "I'll pay for a drink and a meal, good bartender," Arkaitz said in his musical accent, harsh yet smooth at the same time, "And perhaps for something to keep me entertained afterwards."

@Elend Venture @Sherlock Holmes

You know Jac, for some reason, I really like your characters new name

6 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

hmmmmmmmmm don't know why you would that'd be some crazy coincedence
but it means rock

9 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

On 5/8/2020 at 11:02 PM, Elend Venture said:

Arkaitz thought for a moment, and then asked the strapping young man, "What alcohols do you sell? Anything special imported from Earth?"

"Eh, what we have is mostly distilled or brewed here in the city." Said Damon, scratching his stubbled chin. "Though we do have some imported port, though it's kind of a bit on the affordable side, if you catch my meaning, so just be ready for a headache by your third or fourth glass. Not as choice as our locally made port, but still pretty good stuff." He pulled a large dark green glass jug down from the shelf behind him.

@bees?

Damon slid a menu onto the bar in front of the strangely attractive sliver haired man. It read as such: 

MENU

• buffalo mallard chicken wings 2 C
  • stew 4 C
  • chowder 5 C
  • chouta 3 C
  • roasted mallard chicken 7 C
  • crescent rolls 2 C
  • cremling curry 5 C 
  • Scottish shortbread 3 C

Damon took a second menu from behind him, smaller, and marked with the varied beverages of the establishment. "Here Sir, all the drinks available right now. The I'm picking up some wine tomorrow, though."

Nonvictual Menu*

1. CHEAP WINE PORT 2 C

2. HIGH QUALITY PORT 4 C

3. SAPPHIRE WINE 4 C

4. CHEAP WHISKEY 3 C

5. 15 YEAR AGED SINGLE MALT WHISKEY 5 C

6. DARK LAGUR 2 C

7. LIGHT LAGUR 2C

8. FIREARMS- INDIVIDUAL PRICE LISTINGS

9. EDGED WEAPONS - INDIVIDUAL PRICE LISTINGS

10. ROOM FOR THE NIGHT - 100 C**

*25% discount for members of the Ghostbloods.

**Clips

@bees?

Edited by Elend Venture
Mildly expanded menu to full size.

"Sir, you want your change back?" Said Damon, taking the coins, counting them, and placing the required ammount in the lockbox. He went walked into the kitchen, returned with a piece of cold roasted chicken with a spicy sauce and rice and set it in front of the customer. "There's your bird" Said Damon. Only then did he pull a delicate brown bottle down from the shelf behind him and pour about seventy milliliters of the dark caramel fluid into an empty tumbler, as he didn't recall the man saying how he wanted it. He slid the glass over to the fellow.

@bees?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"Listen here, pal, I've got a couple of errands to run downtown. Tavern business. Wine shipments late. So if you need anything just ask Talon, see?" Said Damon, slipping out of his duster and into a cheap paletot, dropping his pair of snub-nosed Immerling .44s into their holsters, bluing scraped off where he had taken a file to their serial numbers earlier that day, in his boot and in the small of his back, respectively. After that, the 3 inch barreled .38 went into her holster, under Damon's arm. He wouldn't go anywhere without that thing, never failed him once, she hadn't.

Placing a hat on his head and pulling on a pair of thin deerskin gloves, Damon strode out the door, mist trailing in behind him. Smiling at the weight of the metal spike in his pocket, Damon burned steel. Blue lines pointing towards his chest sprang up all around him. He loved modern cities, so much metal. Dropping a bottlecap, Damon pushed out into the swirling mists.

@bees?

Edited by Elend Venture

Mike guided Freya through the streets, leading her to the closest tavern. He'd been here before, although rarely. It wasn't as if he usually had the money to pay for a drink anyway.

Stopping in front of the tavern he looked over at the girl on his arm. "That's the place." he announced and smiled at her. "It's nothing fancy -" he paused, hesitated, "would you have liked something more fancy? We could go somewhere else, if a tavern isn't to your liking, I mean, I'm fine with whereever we go."

He bit on his lip, wondered if it had been a mistake to go here and not somewhere else. Maybe something more beautiful, elegant would have suited her better, than a tavern named after a bleeding spike.

@Spren of Kindness

7 hours ago, Sorana said:

Mike guided Freya through the streets, leading her to the closest tavern. He'd been here before, although rarely. It wasn't as if he usually had the money to pay for a drink anyway.

Stopping in front of the tavern he looked over at the girl on his arm. "That's the place." he announced and smiled at her. "It's nothing fancy -" he paused, hesitated, "would you have liked something more fancy? We could go somewhere else, if a tavern isn't to your liking, I mean, I'm fine with whereever we go."

He bit on his lip, wondered if it had been a mistake to go here and not somewhere else. Maybe something more beautiful, elegant would have suited her better, than a tavern named after a bleeding spike.

@Spren of Kindness

"I'm fine," Freya hastily assures him.  She may not particularly like taverns, but she'll be okay.  She's a Radiant - or at least, that's what Mist says.

15 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

"I'm fine," Freya hastily assures him.  She may not particularly like taverns, but she'll be okay.  She's a Radiant - or at least, that's what Mist says.

"Okay." Mike nodded, and then pushed the door open. They were greeted by the sounds of guests and for a moment he feared that it would be crowded, but only about half of the tables were filled with people.

Looking around he chose one a little to the side, where he would be able to keep his back to a wall and have most of the windows and chairs easily within view. Sitting down he looked through the menu, trying to decide what to drink. Nothing too strong, he needed to keep his head clear if he wanted to grab a few more things tonight. "When you've chosen I'll go and fetch your drink." he offered while closing the menu and pushing it over to her.