Hoid in White Sand

King of Herdaz

Brandon has said that Hoid makes an appearance, but he hasn't confirmed who he is.

I agree pretty strongly that it seems to be this guy. That post was from before Volume 2 was published. Same character makes at least an appearance or two in Volume 2.

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2019 at 7:14 PM, Jofwu said:

Brandon has said that Hoid makes an appearance, but he hasn't confirmed who he is.

I agree pretty strongly that it seems to be this guy. That post was from before Volume 2 was published. Same character makes at least an appearance or two in Volume 2.

If it is that guy, then I think I found him in the prose, mentioned at least once.

There was a basin filled with drinking water, and even a man playing a stringed instrument quietly in the corner.

It's when Khriss is waiting to meet with the Lord Artisan, pg. 480.

I think, though, based on this WoB, that it's somewhere else that I can't find, a different person than the guitar man. But there's also this one, which adds to him being the guitar man. But if it he is the guitar man, then that, in the prose, is probably the guitar man. We might just have to wait for all of actually canonical White Sand to come out.

Edited by Kalvin

On 7/22/2019 at 6:14 PM, Jofwu said:

So, I just listened to volume one of the Graphic Audio version and there is a bit more to the first scene that we see that guy in that I think indicates it is indeed Hoid. They use the same voice actor they use for Hoid in the Stormlight Graphic Audio books and he's singing a somewhat irreverent song which really gives you the feel of Hoid. Maybe something else will jump out when the other two volumes come out for Graphic Audio, but I feel that might have been the confirmation of Hoid in White Sand.

Edited by Harrycrapper

2 hours ago, Harrycrapper said:

So, I just listened to volume one of the Graphic Audio version and there is a bit more to the first scene that we see that guy in that I think indicates it is indeed Hoid. They use the same voice actor they use for Hoid in the Stormlight Graphic Audio books and he's singing a somewhat irreverent song which really gives you the feel of Hoid. Maybe something else will jump out when the other two volumes come out for Graphic Audio, but I feel that might have been the confirmation of Hoid in White Sand.

Cool! But is that necessarily canonical? I mean, does GA consult with Dragonsteel over things like this?

12 minutes ago, King of Herdaz said:

Cool! But is that necessarily canonical? I mean, does GA consult with Dragonsteel over things like this?

This one is a bit different than the rest. This is an adaptation of the graphic novel technically and it does have extra stuff like the song that the suspected Hoid was playing. Whether that would have been in a normal prose version, I cannot say, but it definitely wasn't in the graphic novel. The people at Graphic Audio are either big fans or are getting detailed instructions from Dragonsteel, there are certain things like accents that they get much more accurate than a typical narrator can manage. Also, in the Stormlight ones, you can confirm the genders of the various epigraph letters from Oathbringer, the identities line up with what the community has mostly determined.  Most of the extra things in the audio version compared to the graphic novel have been more in depth thoughts from characters and lengthier dialogue. The addition of the musician actually playing and singing was the only thing that was legitimately different than the graphic novel. It is kinda obvious, so maybe it's a red herring, but I'm assuming Hoid until a better candidate presents itself. Volume 2 comes out tomorrow, so I'll see if anything relevant was added in there.