Feruchemical Spikes

Steel Inquisitive

Question

4 answers to this question

In answer to your first question, yes, they can be used as metalminds. Not only do we have this WoB:

17th Shard

Can you burn the spikes? Like, Allomantically? For example, could they burn the steel in their head spikes?

Brandon Sanderson

I considered that and I eventually decided that they could, but it would be an excruciating process that would probably knock them unconscious simply by doing it.

17th Shard

Would they be able to tap?

Brandon Sanderson

Would they tap them? They can use them as metalminds, yes.

17th Shard Interview (Oct. 3, 2010)

But I additionally believe that in WoA and HoAwe see Marsh using his spikes as metalminds.

I do not have an answer to your other questions, sorry!

1 hour ago, Snipexe said:

In answer to your first question, yes, they can be used as metalminds. Not only do we have this WoB:

But I additionally believe that in WoA and HoAwe see Marsh using his spikes as metalminds.

I do not have an answer to your other questions, sorry!

Well, that would be using a spike as a metalmind. I'm interested in the reverse. As in making a metalmind then using it to spike someone.

that would be harder because the existign investiture would interfere with the spiking process, but it probably could be done by someone.  Harmony (or Ruin before him) at least could probably manage it if so inclined.

Depends on how much is stored in the metalmind. We know a 'full' metalmind is more Invested than a hemalurgic spike and a spike isn't very heavily Invested, but a metalmind is still way down the list from the things Brandon has told us are probably inherently too Invested to be usable as spikes (ie, Shardblades and Nightblood) so as long as you're not talking about something in the same range as the Bands of Mourning or something made via a lot of compounding, you should probably be able to take a metalmind in the appropriate shape, spike someone with it and have it still work.

Mind you, you might still get a weaker charge depending on how 'full' the metalmind is and the size of the thing, and just being spiked by a metalmind won't do anything to let the spikee use the metalmind unless the spike grants the same feruchemical trait and the metalmind was either unkeyed or the spike donor was the person who made the metalmind to begin with.