New to the Crew

almeldiel

Hello, 17th Shard!

My forum name (and username in most places around the web) is Almeldiel (it's in Quenya, which a Tolkien language scholar kindly derived from my real name).

I have a very technical Engineering job in real life, but I'm also a book blogger (mostly fantasy, SF, YA) and freelance writer for the Lifestyle section of a local news website.

Although I've been hearing Brandon's name for a while now, I only started reading his books in January of this year. Since then, though, I've become a fan, and have managed to finish Warbreaker and the Mistborn Trilogy. Elantris and 2 Alcatraz books are waiting patiently in my To Read pile. I'm currently hunting down the rest of Alcatraz, as well as The Way of Kings.

I'm seriously considering starting The Wheel of Time just to get to the ones that Brandon wrote, but that's a long series, and I've recently just finished catching up on 2 other long series (10+ books each), so that might be a challenge for another time. :D

I've been stalking this site (moderately!) for Brandon news, but was a little hesitant to register before. But I couldn't resist the ARC giveaway, so here I am! :D After reading some of the Forum topics, I realized this is a fun place, so I'll do my best to participate. :)

Edited by almeldiel

Hey there, and welcome! I was hoping the ARC giveaway would also bring some new friends to the site, and here you are! I'm glad you decided to join and post; you seem like a really nice and interesting person. You'll also be happy to know, I think, that there are lots of math and science types around here, and of course, more Brandon fans than you can shake a Shardblade at. ;)

I would caution you to steer clear of General Theories until you've read all of the Cosmere books; I wouldn't want a misclick to spoil any of the books for you. However, other sections - the general book forums for what you have read, the General Brandon forum, and any of our community or RP areas - will be much less spoileriffic, and they're loads of fun. :D

Also, have a cookie!

welcomecookie.jpg

It's nice to meet you!

hey there Almeldiel, anyone who takes the time to figure their name out in a fictional language is awesome :D glad you've joined up. What kind of technical engineering do you do? there is (as Kerry said) quite a few of us who'll understand you :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, and welcome! I was hoping the ARC giveaway would also bring some new friends to the site, and here you are! I'm glad you decided to join and post; you seem like a really nice and interesting person. You'll also be happy to know, I think, that there are lots of math and science types around here, and of course, more Brandon fans than you can shake a Shardblade at. ;)

I would caution you to steer clear of General Theories until you've read all of the Cosmere books; I wouldn't want a misclick to spoil any of the books for you. However, other sections - the general book forums for what you have read, the General Brandon forum, and any of our community or RP areas - will be much less spoileriffic, and they're loads of fun. :D

Also, have a cookie!

It's nice to meet you!

KChan: Thanks for the advice on the potential spoilers! I'll definitely tread carefully around here. :D Thanks so much for the warm welcome, and of course, the cookie!

hey there Almeldiel, anyone who takes the time to figure their name out in a fictional language is awesome :D glad you've joined up. What kind of technical engineering do you do? there is (as Kerry said) quite a few of us who'll understand you :D

Joe: Haha, thanks! I could not resist the translation offer, so... :D

My field is Geomatics / Geodetic Engineering -- earth measurements/positioning, mapping, and geographic information systems. :blink: *looks for Nerd Smilie but fails*

Hi there. I'm CrazyRioter. I'm more into biology and language then math stuff myself but there are loads of math geeks around here.

Welcome, and good luck getting hold of The Way of Kings, it's totally awesome.

Thanks for the welcome, CrazyRioter! I finally spied a UK Trade Paperback of The Way of Kings in a local store, and my fingers (and toes) are crossed for it still being there come payday! :D

Edited by almeldiel

Ahh, the joys of living paycheck to paycheck!

Hello Alm! I'm Kuri, your resident person of unimportance and purveyor of hugs and insanity! Thank you for teaching me new words, Geodetic is fun to say!~

Also, Kchan, shaking a Shardblade around sounds like a REALLY bad idea, especially in a room full of geeks. >.>;;

Hello Alm! I'm Kuri, your resident person of unimportance and purveyor of hugs and insanity! Thank you for teaching me new words, Geodetic is fun to say!~

Hi, Kuri! And I didn't know there was such a thing as a Resident Person of Unimportance and Purveyor of Hugs and Insanity. :lol: I love this place already! You guys are all hilarious (that's a very sincere compliment. ;) )

Hi, Kuri! And I didn't know there was such a thing as a Resident Person of Unimportance and Purveyor of Hugs and Insanity. :lol: I love this place already! You guys are all hilarious (that's a very sincere compliment. ;) )

Well, I'm not exactly crucial to anything around here outside of my Forum RP, but I do try and be fun to have around! XD

And thanks, Kchan! :D

Personally, I was thinking Kelsier's Crew, not a bridge crew. >_>

Yeah, actually, I was thinking Kelsier's Crew when I chose the title.

But, guess what! I FINALLY found a copy of WoK (UK edition to match my Mistborn copies). So I'm going to watch out for that Crew thingy, Kaladin. :P

Yeah, actually, I was thinking Kelsier's Crew when I chose the title.

But, guess what! I FINALLY found a copy of WoK (UK edition to match my Mistborn copies). So I'm going to watch out for that Crew thingy, Kaladin. :P

Enjoy it! It's an intimidating tome at first glance, but the stuff goes down like water!

Intimidating IS the right word! :blink:

The page count is 1007 for the edition that I have. I just stared at it yesterday and wondered if I'm ever going to get through it, and decided to postpone starting it. I'll start tonight. I just realized I got through the 3 Mistborn books, and those are 800+ pages each, so I can do this!

Boy, this book is gonna make for a great weapon if someone wanted to mess with me while I'm reading. I must remember NOT to drop it on my own foot. :blink:

It looks huge (and is technically), but like I said, the pacing is such that it goes SO quickly. :)

I got through the Prologue, and you're right! I had to read this a little slower to make sure I absorb the details of the magic system at work, but the prose is not clunky at all. :)

Edited by almeldiel

• Chaos locked this topic