FTL other than speed bubbles?

Mushroom Catalog

So- Brandon has said somewhere, I think, that FTL in later books will be with speed bubbles and some sci-fi stuff like that. But is there other ways?

I think that if somebody got F-Gold and F-Steel, they would be able to do it. Compounding would help a lot, though. They could use the speed to move themselves around at faster than light speeds, but it would feel to them like normal. The reason healing is need is because moving that fast through air would cause a lot of air resistance, and then extreme friction burns. So they heal from it. It would take a huge amount of the metal and attributes, so compounding would almost certainly be needed for any reasonable usage of this. 

Then they could create a FTL travel system, where rich people pay to use some unconnected metal minds when that becomes possible, and boom- no more being late for important meetings. Just hire a few compounders to fill the metalminds.

So unless i'm missing some super obvious flaw- is this possible or even useful?

Also- F-steel friction qoute

Questioner (paraphrased)

My friend wants to know how fast steel Compounders could possibly go, can they run up walls or over water like the Flash?

Blightsong (paraphrased)

*jokingly* Can they run through time?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Steelrunners can resist a lot things due to the power, like they can withstand the Gs they are out through, but they can't ignore wind resistance and friction. They will burn up if they start running too quickly.

OdysseyCon 2016 (April 8, 2016)

The problem with this is individual. Giving a person super speed is much easier than giving a spacecraft super speed. Plus, no off planet applications for F-Steel as there's nothing for a person to push off of. Sorry, thinking Speed Bubbles are the way to go.

Using metallic arts?  Decreasing your ship's weight to 0 then pushing on a coin might be interesting.

Their are other magic systems in cosmere

On Roshar

Spoiler

Perhaps if you eat the correct fish you can be transported to a different place instantaneously. 

2 hours ago, Bigmikey357 said:

The problem with this is individual. Giving a person super speed is much easier than giving a spacecraft super speed. Plus, no off planet applications for F-Steel as there's nothing for a person to push off of. Sorry, thinking Speed Bubbles are the way to go.

That is true off of worlds, but on a planet? Could a person use it for travel in a world, like if they really didn't want to be late or something. You could be someplace in less than fractions of seconds. I could be at school on time every day!

And if they did... would they age faster compared to the rest of the world if they did it a lot? I guess they would... 

Moving faster than light in the atmosphere of a planet would cause world ending explosions. You would need a way to mitigate the friction and resultant pressure. If you were to combine the compounded steel with the surge of abrasion, you might be able to do it, but even still I think that FTL is out of reach for F-steel.

While I agree with @Calderis about pushing while heavy and then making yourself light, I highly doubt that you could apply enough force with a steel push to achieve superluminal speeds.

@Karger I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can get to 0 with F-iron.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

6 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Moving faster than light in the atmosphere of a planet would cause world ending explosions. You would need a way to mitigate the friction and resultant pressure. If you were to combine the compounded steel with the surge of abrasion, you might be able to do it, but even still I think that FTL is out of reach for F-steel.

While I agree with @Calderis about pushing while heavy and then making yourself light, I highly doubt that you could apply enough force with a steel push to achieve superluminal speeds.

@Karger I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can get to 0 with F-iron.

This is spot on. For matter moving at speeds approaching the speed of light the concept of air resistance doesn't make sense because the air would be pressurized to the point of fusion before it could be shoved out of the way. The steel runner would die in the first few nanoseconds and the resulting burst of high energy gamma rays and the line of fusion explosions left in their wake would eclipse any man-made explosion made to date.

You can't surpass the speed of light using conventional methods (e.g. running really fast using f-steel).  That's a hard limit in classical physics.  That's why most of the FTL concepts "cheat" by, e.g. distorting space time.  

Plus, traveling at any reasonable percentage of the speed of light in the atmosphere is going to ... not go well.  Check out the very first XKCD What If? that investigates this exact question: https://what-if.xkcd.com/1/.  

@Karger Mach 8 is not nearly fast enough to be "ridiculously destructive."  From what I can tell, the current speed record is almost Mach 10 by the NASA's X-43.  

I didn't know about the whole "blow up a lot of stuff" part of  running light speed, but I did know about friction, atmosphere, burn up part. But somebody with gold feruchemy could heal that, if they had a REALLY big metalmind. Except for the accidentaly breaking planets part. Unless they wanted to blow up worlds...

1 hour ago, Scion of the Mists said:

Mach 8 is not nearly fast enough to be "ridiculously destructive."  From what I can tell, the current speed record is almost Mach 10 by the NASA's X-43.  

That was an extremely well shielded craft well beyond anything they will be able to create on scadrial any time soon.

On 5/1/2019 at 4:34 PM, Karger said:

That was an extremely well shielded craft well beyond anything they will be able to create on scadrial any time soon.

Oh, you mean ridiculously destructive to the vehicle.  Yes, absolutely.  

(I thought you meant to the surroundings, like with the relativistic baseball XKCD)

• Chaos locked this topic