1 minute ago, turtle said:

"Any books on realmatic theory or what in the cosmere Kelsier is doing?" she paused "Any coffee? Also, are you sure you don't want to study it?"

@Rushu42

"Coffee? Um, no. Sorry?" Was she asking for some, or offering some? Probably the former, but it was unclear. "Cosmere books are over there, and there should be a book on the Survivor legends on the shelf marked 'Scadrial'. As for the atium, I'd love to study it, but I'm a bit busy right now, so perhaps tomorrow?"

Just now, turtle said:

"K then. Why does no place here have coffee?" she took out a canteen of water and drank from it. "tomorrow. Also, do you have a notepad? I'm afraid I filled mine up."

@Rushu42

The coffee comment left her a little unbalanced. Nothing about this was what she had expected. Should she try to find some coffee for the girl? She had some up in her flat... but no, it wasn't a request that she was required to fulfill. This was a library, not a cafe. "Um, right. I can actually get you an official Scholar's Guild notebook and pen. Do you know how spanreeds work?"

Just now, turtle said:

"yep, I've used spanreeds before. Thanks for letting me read the books, I don't need any coffee, I just happen to really like it." Everest said

"Alright, I suppose." She handed over a fine notebooks with "The Scholar's Guild" embossed into the cover, and a pen set with an infused gemstone. "This is connected to one I own, so you can use it to contact me if you need to. I can also set it up so that it creates a backup copy of your notes, if you prefer; that's what I do."

are the rooms in the back sleeping quarters, or just rooms?

"thanks, I'll have a copy of my notes. I've honestly never been given this much hospitality since my par-" she shook her head, blinking off the tears welling up in her eyes. "thank you." she said.

@Rushu42

Edited by turtle

6 minutes ago, turtle said:

are the rooms in the back sleeping quarters, or just rooms?

Sleeping quarters. There's a building behind the library that's separated into small apartments with basic furnishings, and a shared kitchen on the ground floor.

Aln nodded awkwardly. "You can find keys to the apartments in a lockbox by the building door, combination 1984. If there's anything else you need, let me know." She didn't have much experience comforting grieving children, but she tried to soften her tone a bit. "You're welcome to a key as well, Mr...Dot," she said, shooting a quick glance at his paper in the middle of the sentence.

Edited by Rushu42
Changing a word because

Everest nodded, putting the books into the satchel as well as her canteen. She hurried off, hoping her eyes weren't to red. I could of saved them. she thought, quickening her pace once the lockbox was in sight. I should have saved them. But no, she couldn't think about that. She had a home and a charge in life, she could live with that. She punched in the code, receiving a small silver key. She slid down the hallway as though it was made of ice, then stopped when she saw the door. she twisted the key and opened the door into a room most would consider simple or cramped, but that was perfect for Everest. She closed the door, laying down on the bed and closing her eyes.

The time skip should work, I'm writing this as though its evening, though she could be taking a nap. Sorry for the delay, a very special book (Arcanum Unbounded) came while I was reading this post.

@Rushu42 @SingingMosaic

Aln watched the girl leave, and then excused herself to Dot and hurried back into the other room, where Dr. Gears and Deadspot stood. "I'm sorry about that," she said. "Um, would you please describe how your Epic ability works?"

@Invocation @Gears

Invo, would you rather roleplay the whole conversation, or just say that Deadspot gives Aln a bunch of information about Reckoner's Earth and how her powers work? SHe'd probably mostly be asking very technical questions, which I don't know if I can pull off, but I'm perfectly willing to try.

6 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Invo, would you rather roleplay the whole conversation, or just say that Deadspot gives Aln a bunch of information about Reckoner's Earth and how her powers work? SHe'd probably mostly be asking very technical questions, which I don't know if I can pull off, but I'm perfectly willing to try.

I'd rather not RP the whole conversation since I'm in class right now. Deadspot's powers boil down to being able to drain things of their vitality in line-of-sight, and if willing participants are in place that can be fatal. This draining keeps her youthful and can make her stronger. She doesn't like talking about her second ability, so she wouldn't mention that.

Phrase it however you like. 

Dot lapsed into silence while the other two talked, noting the keys and thanking Aln before she left, as he turned over this new piece of information.

Everest didn't know where it could have come from. Aln wasn't as surprised as she should be, or he was misreading her. Some people didn't startle easily but still... He stretched his senses out, reaching for hordelings he'd left in other places, places harder to come and go from. And it seemed that, even with the curious unease and conflict to make this place strange, Alleycity was as ripe with hidden information as it always had been. He wandered toward the shelves Aln had indicated earlier. Current events and recent history would be good to catch up on, and most places didn't have easily available information about other worlds. Some people would know some of it in some of them, but those same people guarded their information and were smart enough to keep a lookout for any kind of lifeform. Having permission to be where you were did sometimes make things easier.

Setting a couple books on top of a stack of newspapers on a table next to a chair in a corner, he went to get his key. He went out, retrieving a few things to leave in his room--a bag of sturdy clothing, miscellaneous useful everyday tools, a little money--before settling in with his books. If someone went in there they would find the life of a man who lived only a lightly material life. Closer to poor than rich, with no sentimental belongings.

It was rare that he told people who he really was. But it might be an advantage, both for future collaboration and for each other, to tell some of these people. He would wait and see, and if he were discovered sooner, he would deal with that when he came to it. All the centuries of human reactions to what they feared, hated, or didn't know at all meant that now it was an extremely rare event which could convince him to show himself quickly.

OOC: The time skip is fine. He'll probably still be there in the morning. The way he's built this body it does need to rest, depending on what parts of it need the rest, but not often. When vital functions do need to rest it's more like a dolphin sleeping than a human sleeping. I might be taking some liberties here but Brandonmakes them seem so configurable to the needs and whims of each of them that I might not be.

Everest yawned, waking up. Had she gone to sleep with her gloves on? Oh well, best to get moving before most people got up, she wanted to see if anyone sold coffee before someone stopped her and asked what a thirteen year old girl was doing in the heart of allycity. Hopefully someplace here sold coffee. Oh. She thought, stopping herself before she opened the door. Alanis wants to study the atium. It was a good thing she had agreed to it, it meant Everest might be able to learn about her sister. Her sister...  no! She told herself forcibly. Not now. She shook her head, fishing in her satchel for the notebook. She hadn’t actually filled all her books up, she just wanted to see who this Alanis was, and one of the best ways to figure out who a person was would be to figure out how much they are willing to give you.

Everest took out the book and pen, carefully writing. ‘When would you like to study the atium?’ What else could she write? ‘I’m going on a hunt for  to get coffee, and should be back by 9:00.’ That done, she could go to a coffee place, or a place that sold coffee, and finally settle down a bit in allycity.

I sorta drew a floor plan of the scholars guild’s building, and I can show it to you. 

@Rushu42 @SingingMosaic @Invocation

——————

Everest sighed, opening the door of the building she’d started to call the library. “Alanis?” She called, “you here?” She decided to wait for her, grabbing a book about chulls and sitting down in one of the cozily lit chairs. It was nine thirty, and Everest was pretty sure Alanis would be awake.

image.jpg

Edited by turtle

Sorry this post took me a bit to get to. The issue is that I hadn't resolved the plotline with Invo before the other came into the room, which makes it rather difficult to juggle. That's what I get for leaving for a week, I suppose. So, I'm going to write up a post for the conversation between Aln and Deadspot, and then I'll wait in case Invocation or Gears have anything else to add. Once they're also satisfied, I'll get to turtle's post. Sorry for all of the waiting.

Aln sat down across from the Epic, and took a moment to collect her thoughts. She still thought that it was valuable to meet all of the members of her Guild herself, but at times such as this one it could be a nuisance. Perhaps she could hire a receptionist of some sort? Filing that idea away for later, she pulled out her notebook and flipped to the section on Epics, and began to ask her questions. The Epic didn't have all of the data on her own powers that Aln requested, and had largely failed to make exact measurements, but with the aid of Aln's questions she provided a fairly detailed picture. Aln wrote down everything, adding notations of her own to the margins as they went. Eventually, she stopped, satisfied. It wasn't clear that the woman had told her everything, but she had still provided Aln with a very useful data point.  She looked over at Gears. "Anything to add?"

Would Deadspot have told Aln her Epic Weakness? If not, Aln's going to push for that.

@Gears @Invocation

That's too bad. I'm going to move through the timeskip so that everyone isn't waiting too long. I'm sorry if I'm blocking anything that people wanted to do before it.

Aln sighed, disappointed at the woman's refusal to tell her of her weakness, but nevertheless informed the Epic that she was now free to leave. She should have waited to see her out, or even followed her to make sure that she didn't hurt anyone, but Aln was exhausted, and her headache was building. "If you need any further help," she managed to say, "you can come back here. Um, good luck." Then she turned and abruptly exited the room.

@Invocation

------

On 8/20/2020 at 7:25 AM, turtle said:

Everest sighed, opening the door of the building she’d started to call the library. “Alanis?” She called, “you here?” She decided to wait for her, grabbing a book about chulls and sitting down in one of the cozily lit chairs. It was nine thirty, and Everest was pretty sure Alanis would be awake.

The map isn't entirely how I pictured it. The rooms for the guild members are in a completely different building behind the library, with a courtyard separating the two. The library contains a large room full of books, Aln's desk, a back room (which is where they questioned the Epic) and a small storage space. The second floor of the library just has some more storage and Aln's flat. I'll draw up a plan in a bit, if you like - I can't right now, though.

Aln walked into the library, cursing herself for oversleeping. Healing that Epic had taken a lot out of her. She winced, remembering how incoherent she had been the day before. Hopefully she hadn't botched things with Deadspot too badly. She'd have to keep an eye out for people experiencing unexplained fatigue. She paused as her eyes fell upon Everest. The girl was sitting in a chair, reading a book by Bavamar. Aln sat down in the chair opposite her, unsure of whether or not she should start a conversation. Eventually she settled on the former. "That's an excellent book," she ventured. "One of his earlier works, before his famous luckspren postulate."

@turtle

Edited by Rushu42

Everest smiled, putting down the book and standing up. "Thanks." Everest said, not knowing what to say next. Why would Alanis know and have read a random book about chulls?She fished the bead of atrium out of her satchel. "You wanna study it?" Everest wasn't going to let this person know everything about her, but the atium seemed interesting and she wasn't sure wether or not she could study it alone.

sorry for the delay.

On 8/26/2020 at 3:02 PM, turtle said:

Everest smiled, putting down the book and standing up. "Thanks." Everest said, not knowing what to say next. Why would Alanis know and have read a random book about chulls?She fished the bead of atrium out of her satchel. "You wanna study it?" Everest wasn't going to let this person know everything about her, but the atium seemed interesting and she wasn't sure wether or not she could study it alone.

Aln mentally ran through the list of things she had to do that day. Most of it was study that could be easily postponed if need be; the only real obstacle to her work that day was her plan to stop by the Alleyverse Post. They had just printed their latest edition, and Aln had hoped to simultaneously grab a copy and check on the new hires. Oh, and she'd have to go see Trent at some point; they hadn't been in contact since the festival last night, and he was likely wondering what had happened. Still, neither of those commitments were urgent.

Satisfied that her schedule was clear, Aln nodded. "I would be quite thrilled to. Thank you." 

She accepted the bead from Everest and turned it over in her fingers. The exterior did indeed seem to be atium, but it was difficult to determine the purity of the sample with a simple glance. A spectrometer would be useful, but if she remembered correctly, the nearby lab would still be closed for yesterday's holiday. She'd have to settle for more mundane measurements, such as placement on the Mohs scale or melting point. It would also be fascinating to see how atium interacted with various fabrials. Perhaps she could combine the visit  with Torenat with the use of some of his creations. 

Aln suddenly realized that Everest was still there, and likely expected to be included in the process, given that it was her metal. mentally berating herself for the momentary lapse in politeness, she spoke. "Right. Um, was there anything in particular that you wanted to know about the atium, or is this simply a gesture towards the general forwarding of science?"

On 8/28/2020 at 0:59 PM, turtle said:

Everest shrugged. "Simply a gesture to science."

Before I reply in character, what are you envisioning for this scene? If you want I can make up some tests for Aln to run on the atium and just write them out, but I don't think that that would be super interesting for anyone involved. Would you prefer to roleplay a conversation, or make up some action?

On 9/6/2020 at 10:23 AM, turtle said:

Simply running some tests on the Atium and maybe some other stuff, I honestly don’t know.

Okay. Well, seeing as I'm not actually a Cosmere scientist (or a scientist at all), I think I'll gloss over the specifics of the tests to focus on a conversation between the two characters. If you come up with something else that you want to have happen, feel free to go for it.

On 8/28/2020 at 0:59 PM, turtle said:

Everest shrugged. "Simply a gesture to science."

"Very noble of you," said Aln, giving her a closer look. "If you don't mind me asking, why specifically did you choose the Scholar's Guild? Beyond just a general love of learning, is there something in particular that you're hoping to gain?" 

As she spoke, she circled her desk, keeping Everest in her field of view, and pulled a clunky fabrial from a drawer. She connected it to a few gemstones, and placed the atium bead in a small depression in the machine. She paused for a moment to jot down the relative luminosity of the gems, then turned her attention back to the teenager for her response.

14 hours ago, turtle said:

Everest thought for a bit “Knoledge.”

"Knowledge is an excellent goal," said Aln, "one that I happen to share. Does any particular area of study interest you?"

As she spoke, she transferred the atium to a different part of the machine, and once again began recording numbers.

On 9/9/2020 at 8:12 AM, turtle said:

''I want to learn more about the magic systems in the cosmere, especially allomancy" Everest said, thinking about what really interested her "And the returned on Nalthis."

@Rushu42

Aln nodded. "All fascinating subjects of study. I can recommend several books on those topics, if you like." 

She fell silent for a moment, focusing on her work. Finally, the machine flashed a light, and she removed the bead of atium and dropped it into a cup of water. As she stirred salt in, she looked back at Everest. "This needs to sit for some time."  Before her next sentence, Aln paused. How much did she really want to get to know this girl? The more people she was familiar with, the higher a chance that her powers would fail her. She felt an unusual surge of panic - but she pushed it away. She could almost see Torenat reprimanding her. You stuck in that ardentia your whole childhood. Do you really want to hole up alone in another library?

"How much of the city have you seen?" she said, finally. "I could show you around."