Arithmancy

Karger

• 1 month later...

What if the power for the magic came from chaos? Like heat or random energy that's bouncing around. Stuff that exists already, but would normally just bounce around like crazy or dissipate or something. The math changes the energy into a usable form by imposing order. The different kinds of math shape it, kind of like how Aons shape the Dor.

9 hours ago, Hope Spren said:

What if the power for the magic came from chaos? Like heat or random energy that's bouncing around. Stuff that exists already, but would normally just bounce around like crazy or dissipate or something. The math changes the energy into a usable form by imposing order. The different kinds of math shape it, kind of like how Aons shape the Dor.

Not bad.  My current thinking is that you have to draw power from the numbers around you.  If you see 5 of something you can have a 5 and so on.

On 6/19/2019 at 11:32 PM, Hope Spren said:

Man, that definitely feels like something that fits thematically with "math as a magic system"- something something, chaos theory?

3 hours ago, artiestroke said:

Man, that definitely feels like something that fits thematically with "math as a magic system"- something something, chaos theory?

Chaos theory is something else.  Unfortunately.

• 2 months later...

Check out The Midnighters Series by Scott Westerfield. I've only read the first book but I know the magic system is based on words, but the number of letters in each word determines how powerful it is, with prime numbered words being extra powered or something like that. That could play into this system, the prime number thing...

1 hour ago, 1st of Lunch said:

Check out The Midnighters Series by Scott Westerfield. I've only read the first book but I know the magic system is based on words, but the number of letters in each word determines how powerful it is, with prime numbered words being extra powered or something like that. That could play into this system, the prime number thing...

Thanks I will.