The Listeners way of grow plants

I'd like to share some thoughts concerning plant growth/food supply on Roshar:
In WOR I-1 Eshonai says (to Venli) "We won. (...) The gemheart is ours. We will continue to eat."

Does she refer to the practice of the Listerners (as mentioned in WOR I-4) "... rockbuds ... encouraged to grow quickly by use of stormlight infused gems."?

Is it a gift from Cultivation to the Listerners? Apparently only the Listeners know how to do it. Around Hearthstone at least this technique isn't known.
But how does it work? Just by placing infused gemstones between rockbuds? How does the stormlight connect with the rockbuds? Is the cognitive realm involved?
Is there more to that "cultivation-technique"? 

Parshendi do not soulcast, as Navani states in WOR and when Eshonai describes Narak there's no hint of Soulcasting either.

I don't remember it exactly, but in OB they try to grow plants in Urithiru. They still don't know that technique, right? Could Shen/Rlain as a Listener help with it? Is it bound to a form?
If only the Listerners have access to that technique, where there Listeners among the inhabitants of Urithiru before the Recreance, managing the "food supply chain" with help of the big fabrial?

And some more thought: Venli bonded Timbre in OB so she will be an KR. Was it that way before the Recreance? Where there Parsh among the KR?
Probably it's a big RAFO - but maybe there are some more thoughts or even knowledge out there 
;-)

Yep, they use the gemhearts to store stormlight to get their crops to grow faster. We're not entirely sure how it works yet.

Questioner

For Words of Radiance, could you put a comment about something in the upcoming books, something not too specific, just something I can think about? Something like "Renarin has a spren" you wrote for somebody else in The Way of Kings?

Brandon Sanderson

[written] Stormlight makes plants grow. 

Words of Radiance Chicago signing (March 22, 2014)

Historically, the singers were not able to bond the Nahel spren. This is something new :)

Questioner (paraphrased)

How about the other way around? Can a Parshendi bond a Knights Radiant spren?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Historically, the Parshendi were not made Knights Radiant, or the parshmen weren't.

Questioner (paraphrased)

Can they become squires maybe?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Historically they did not, but it's not impossible.

Words of Radiance Houston signing (March 11, 2014)

Pretty much what RShara said, but there are theories about Stormlight making plants grow among the humans (Taravangian references it in Oathbringer, when he calculates how much plant life Urithiru could support), though the results are speculated to be contaminated somehow.

• Chaos locked this topic