Questions about the last scene with Ash and Taln

1. Why was Jasnah in the market and why did she have drawings of the Heralds? Also, did Shallan draw them? 

2. Who is the "Midius" Ash mentions in reference to Jasnah's sketches

3. When Taln told Ash to follow him, he said someone was waiting for them. Who?

Subquestion: It seemed like he lost lucidity in the middle of leading Ash, and then that whole thing with Jezrien dying happened. (Seriously, Brandon, are you trying to ruin my solid thug-life rep? Second time I teared up reading this book.)

Edited by The Night Watcher

1 minute ago, The Night Watcher said:

1. Why was Jasnah in the market and why did she have drawings of the Heralds? Also, did Shallan draw them? 

2. Who is the "Midias" Ash mentions in reference to Jasnah's sketches?

3. When Taln told Ash to follow him, he said someone was waiting for them. Who?

Subquestion: It seemed like he lost lucidity in the middle of leading Ash, and then that whole thing with Jezrien dying happened. (Seriously, Brandon, are you trying to ruin my solid thug-life rep? Second time I teared up reading this book.)

1) It has been a while since I have read them. I believe that happened to be where the main events were taking place it is possible that the main of the kholin forces were concentrated. No.

2) 

Spoiler

Midias is one of Hoid's aliases.

3) Possibly and this connects to your sub question he was referring to the presence of Honor felt when the perpendicularity was opened which due to the way the realms were joined brought a short period of sanity to Taln.

7 minutes ago, The Night Watcher said:

She was looking for the heralds. I think it said Midius drew them if I remember correctly.

8 minutes ago, The Night Watcher said:

2. Who is the "Midius" Ash mentions in reference to Jasnah's sketches

Midius is another name for Hoid/Wit.

Not sure on question 3. Maybe Nale?

6 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

3) Possibly and this connects to your sub question he was referring to the presence of Honor felt when the perpendicularity was opened which due to the way the realms were joined brought a short period of sanity to Taln.

Ah, that actually makes a lot of sense. Is this canon or theory? Curious because of the implication; I was always skeptical of Heralds joining Dalinar's cause because of their madness, but if his powers can relieve them of that, perhaps it's possible.

Just now, The Night Watcher said:

Ah, that actually makes a lot of sense. Is this canon or theory? Curious because of the implication; I was always skeptical of Heralds joining Dalinar's cause because of their madness, but if his powers can relieve them of that, perhaps it's possible.

It is a theory though one which is grounded in what we know. 

2 minutes ago, Shardbearer said:

I just went back and looked at some of those parts again. I think question 3 he was referring to Dalinar. It seems like he sensed something with what happened with Unity. Can't really be sure though.

Yes, Nathrangking mentioned something like that in the above comment. It makes sense to me; I just never thought about it. It almost seems as if Taln was going to lead Ash to Dalinar. I am curious as to what prompted that in Taln and what he would've done had they met.

11 minutes ago, The Night Watcher said:

Yes, Nathrangking mentioned something like that in the above comment. It makes sense to me; I just never thought about it. It almost seems as if Taln was going to lead Ash to Dalinar. I am curious as to what prompted that in Taln and what he would've done had they met.

He did lead her to Dalinar.

Two more people crossed the battlefield. Lift he had anticipated. But the assassin? Szeth scooped the silvery sheath off the ground and slammed his black Shardblade into it, before stepping up to join Dalinar.
Skybreaker, Dalinar thought, counting them off. Edgedancer. That was seven.
He would have expected three more.
There, the Stormfather said. Behind your niece.
Two more people appeared in the shadow of the wall. A large, powerful man with an impressive physique, and a woman with long, dark hair. Their dark skin marked them as Makabaki, perhaps Azish, but their eyes were wrong.
I know them, the Stormfather said, sounding surprised. I know them from long, long ago. Memories of days when I did not fully live.
Dalinar, you are in the presence of divinities.

Edited by Calderis

10 minutes ago, The Night Watcher said:

Oh! You're right! So did anyone know they were Heralds? Just Dalinar or Jasnah? Or were the Fused more pressing and nobody noticed?

I'd be very surprised if any of the Fused didn't recognize the Heralds after torturing them for thousands of years.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

1 hour ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

I'd be very surprised if any of the Fused didn't recognize the Heralds after torturing them for thousands of years.

"Hey, Vatwha. Look over there... Do you think that's that Taln guy with the Radiants? Should we report this to Hnanan?"

"Who?"

"C'mon. Taln. Talenenat? The Herald of War? The one we'd just been torturing for over FOUR THOUSAND YEARS until this Desolation?"

"Ah! Never did remember his name."

"Never... What... I mean that wasn't even the first time for him! There had been like a hundred previous times!"

"Yeah, well, I just kind of focused on the job at hand, you know? Cut here, pull that out, burn burn burn, jab jabbity jab, and so on. It's not like I wanted to get to ENJOY that sort of thing. You have to compartmentalize to stay sane, am I right?"

13 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

1) It has been a while since I have read them. I believe that happened to be where the main events were taking place it is possible that the main of the kholin forces were concentrated. No.

2) 

Reveal hidden contents

Midias is one of Hoid's aliases.

2) I forgot she called him that. I was thinking she said Cephandrius one of his other early names. I think what she called him is his earliest known name. Interesting that a Herald knows him by that name when even some Shards call him Cephandrius. I guess he just changes names like shirts and had cycled back to that one when he met the Heralds. 

3) Taln gets more lucid when Stormlight is used around him. When Shallan visits Taln in the asylum she lightweaves and he notices her for the first time, grabs her and starts asking her questions about the KR and such. Ultimately, Stormlight is part of Honor so effectively the same thing. They used to have a direct line to Honor, but it's gone with Honor splintered. Was briefly restored when Dalinar restored the perpendicularity. 

• Chaos locked this topic