Death Rattle (Spoiler)

TheGirlWhoLookedUp

I don’t know if this has been discussed before, but when reading WoK again, the death rattles that comes before chapter 58 caught my eye.

“He must pick it up, the fallen title! The tower, the crown, and the spear!”

The death rattles are often predictions of things that happen in later books, and I thought immediately of Adolin becoming Highprince Kholin at the end of OB.

The tower and the crown are symbols of Highprince Kholin, but not the spear. I think it might be predicting that sometime in a later book Something happens to Adolin (I hope not) and Kaladin “picks up the fallen title” and becomes Highprince Kholin. 

I’m curious to know what others think about it as well.

No, tower, crown and spear are listed together. It's one thing, not three separate things. If the spear is associated with Kaladin, then he is "the spear that needs to be picked up".

So, my thought is, "tower, crown and spear" means Kaladin. Mybe his banner. And something is going to happen with Kaladin. Maybe he will die. Maybe go to Braize (like Herald).

Edited by MistboreD

25 minutes ago, TheGirlWhoLookedUp said:

The tower and the crown are symbols of Highprince Kholin, but not the spear. I think it might be predicting that sometime in a later book Something happens to Adolin (I hope not) and Kaladin “picks up the fallen title” and becomes Highprince Kholin. 

I’m curious to know what others think about it as well.

I think, in this case Renarin will be the next to pick it up.

I have three thoughts about this Rattle in order of my personal preferences:

1. Kaladin marrying Jasnah and becoming King of Alethkar.
  2. Something happening to Dalinar as a KR leader and Kaladin picking up his title. It's not necessary Dalinar's death, he could just commit himself to all this "uniting Roshar" thing and have no time left for KRs.
  3. Kaladin picking up Sadeas's abandoned army and his princedom and chosing "the tower, the crown, and the spear" as his banner. I wouldn't like this option, tho, he would be more likely to choose the bridge and the spear, I guess, as his banner.
Edited by Sedside

The Tower as in The Tower at the Plains or the tower in the Kholin banner?

I assume the latter, but I wanted to mention The Tower.

Tower = house Kholin. Dalinar in person?
Crown = of Alethkar? Elhokar? He's already dead.
Spear = Def. Kaladin.

Someone needs to pick up all three? Literally becoming head of house Kholin, ruler of Alethkar and ... Kaladin's position as leader of the Windrunners/Bridgecrews?
Or are we talking about people? "Pick them up" as in taking them in? Like Dalinar took in Kaladin by the end of WoK?

What is the "fallen title"?

Edited by Winds Alight

14 minutes ago, Winds Alight said:

The Tower as in The Tower at the Plains or the tower in the Kholin banner?

There is a theory that this rattle means Kaladin becoming Knight Radiant at the Tower. Not sure, if that's what you mean, but I want to explain, why I don't think it's relevant anyway :)

1. There is already another Death Rattle about this event ("above the final void I hang, friends behind, friends before", something like that).
  2. I had an impression, that Kaladin truly became Radiant only after his 3rd Oath with a symbol of Windrunners appearing.
  3. Knight Radiant is not a title.
  4. He wasn't the first to become a Radiant, so it's not truly like he has picked it up.
Edited by Sedside

There's a lot of lingual development going on currently in Roshar, and with Dalinar learning to read and many of the more oppressive Gender roles breaking down I expect to see more.  Given that, and how we saw the Amaram and the Sons of Honor using Glyphs as a phonetic language instead of the standard pictographs, there's a very real possibility that those three are not a symbolic representation of the Kholin family at all, and are instead a Three-glyph word or phrase in their own right.  The catch is that we have a ton of unknown Glyphs and none that are specifically The Spear. 

1 hour ago, Sedside said:

Isn't it too much - two Death Rattles for the one event?

Why would that be too much? Something like that is going to have major ramifications in all the Realms, and it's the energy of the spirit passing between those realms that Moelach uses to make the Rattles. Not too hard to believe that two Death Rattles can be about the same major event.

I think it's been general consensus that it was talking about the battle of the tower.

Other than that, the only thing I could think of would be if Kaladin somehow became king of Urithuru, since that's literally the only other major plot-relevant tower structure on Roshar that I'm aware of.  However, Dalinar and the Kholins are in charge of Urithuru, so Kaladin would have to kick them out or be elevated to king in some way.  In other words, Jasnah x Kaladin confirmed.

• Chaos locked this topic