Investiture if white sands

Father Tanner

Question

In white sands, are the people invested, or is it the sand that is invested? The first being that only certain people can master sand while the latter being anyone can learn (including worldhoppers). Additionally, if it is the sand that is invested, could only sand from that planet be used with this form of investiture? I believe this is the case given that Khriss finds a film over the sand particles (if I remember correctly). 

4 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, Father Tanner said:

Would a sand master be able to control sand on other world or only where that organism grows?

Only where the organism is, I believe, since that's what the Sand Master is using as a channel to make the sand do what he wants.

Something to do with forming a Connection to the microorganism, I think. Not 100% sure on that, though, it's been a while since I was able to lay hands on a copy of White Sand.

If you can keep the organisms alive, the sand will function anywhere. 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Mraize's Basement Emporium. Is that more like a trophy room or a "In case of emergencies" room?

Multiple people [PENDING REVIEW]

Or a bank vault?

Or a weapon's vault?

Or both?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

So, yes. 

*multiple people talking*

I mean, he can't use the Aether, right? He can't use the Aether, he doesn't have an Aether. But the sand, the sand does stuff. So a handful of sand is a really useful amount of sand to have if you're not a sandmaster. Because sand reacts to investiture. So if you let it fade and you take it somewhere, as soon as investiture goes kinetic, it'll turn white again. So you'll be able to use it to tell who's using inve..it works just like a Seeker, like bronze pulses.

So having white sand, having sand around is really good. If you can keep the little beasties that are growing on the sand around, they will react to basically the investiture equivalent of radiation. So that's handy.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

So if you happen to be a sand master... Yeah, it will work elsewhere. You just have to lug the sand with you.