Pre-shattering, was Hoid for or against shattering Adonalsium?

Mailnaise

Question

I was thinking this morning and somehow got here...

Pre-shattering, was Hoid originally for or against shattering Adonalsium? 

It would put a new perspective on things if he wasn't wouldn't it? Anyways, I hope someone has asked Brandon so they know the answer to this!

9 answers to this question

Brandon's been (understandably) squirrelly on this.  The best answer we have is "kind of."  He's also said that Hoid was only "loosely involved" and that it's implied that he was only a visitor.  We also know that he was offered a Shard during the events of the Shattering, but refused it.  

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Did Hoid think of the Shattering as necessary?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

*pause* Kind of.

source

4 minutes ago, Mailnaise said:

Thanks! I knew the stuff about being loosely involved and being offered a shard, but it's all very interesting. I can't wait to get an answer from Brandon on this 

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. :P There's no way he's going to give a definitive answer on something this big outside of the books themselves and Dragonsteel is a long way off.

As others have said, I've always felt the vibe that Hoid was *present* at the time of the shattering, but was more just a spectator of it, not playing a pivotal role in it.  Or if he did play a role, he did so knowing that he didn't want a shard himself.  

It's all pretty foggy right now, and leads to more questions than answers.  Questions like who or what was Adonalsium really?  Knowing this could help us learn why "it" was shattered to begin with.  

Since we get hints that Hoid knew the Nightwatcher before the shattering, it makes you wonder who she was, and wonder why it seems like a group of people (like her) may have wanted the shattering to happen.  

But then now that everything is shattered, Hoid is worldhopping and gathering powers and finagling with events, almost looking like he wants to either reform Adonalsium, or at least clean up the shards that are threatening planets and humanity.  Clean up could be eliminate, could be merge with other shards, etc.  He's up to something, but we aren't really sure what or why.  

1 hour ago, Poopslug The Pooper said:

But then now that everything is shattered, Hoid is worldhopping and gathering powers and finagling with events, almost looking like he wants to either reform Adonalsium, or at least clean up the shards that are threatening planets and humanity. 

I've actually been wondering about that! I was thinking just a few days ago of possibilities for Hoid's agenda ('cause that's what you do when you're ultra-fan that I am), and this seemed like the most interesting to me. I would love to know more about all of that stuff, but honestly, don't we all. :unsure:

Just a thought, but has anyone ever asked or pondered whether or not Hoid is Adonalsium?  As in, the original bearer of all 16 shards?  Probably goes against all kinds of stuff we know, but it would be wonderful to find out that Adonalsium has been in front of us the whole time, gaining access to his various shards one at a time, in an attempt to reforge them.

Which is what I think Hoid is doing, regardless.  I think he wants a connection to each Shard, which will make him a focal point of all 16 and somehow make them connect again.  

3 minutes ago, Tglassy said:

Just a thought, but has anyone ever asked or pondered whether or not Hoid is Adonalsium?  As in, the original bearer of all 16 shards?  Probably goes against all kinds of stuff we know, but it would be wonderful to find out that Adonalsium has been in front of us the whole time, gaining access to his various shards one at a time, in an attempt to reforge them.

Which is what I think Hoid is doing, regardless.  I think he wants a connection to each Shard, which will make him a focal point of all 16 and somehow make them connect again.  

Questioner

And Hoid was a visitor at it [the Shattering] but he wasn’t partaking in on it.

Brandon Sanderson

That is what the implication is. For sure.

source

Questioner (paraphrased)

Hoid was once offered a Shard, but he refused it, right?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes.

Questioner (paraphrased)

Was it right after the Shattering?

Yes. It was during the events. I wouldn't necessarily say "right after", it was during this process. I would say this is a RAFO before I finish writing at that time. (Not sure if I understood the last sentence right, but I think that's what he said)

Questioner (paraphrased)

And who took this Shard instead?

RAFO.

source

imriel452 (Paraphrased)

I asked for "Info on why Adonalsium shattered".

Brandon Sanderson

Adonalsium Shattered because he was killed.

source

He was not Adonalsium itself, per the WOBs above.

On 1/4/2019 at 10:10 PM, Poopslug The Pooper said:

Since we get hints that Hoid knew the Nightwatcher before the shattering, it makes you wonder who she was, and wonder why it seems like a group of people (like her) may have wanted the shattering to happen.  

Hoid knew Cultivation pre-Shattering, not the Nightwatcher.  It's a common mix-up.  

On 1/5/2019 at 9:39 PM, Tglassy said:

Just a thought, but has anyone ever asked or pondered whether or not Hoid is Adonalsium?  

It's a pretty common thought, but Brandon has shot it down.  However, he RAFO'd whether or not he has an "echo image" of Adonalsium (read: Cognitive Shadow).  

Hoid was at the Shattering of Adonalsium?

He was there, yes.

Was he Adonalsium?

He was not. Good question.

source

On 1/5/2019 at 9:39 PM, Tglassy said:

In the same WoB linked above, Brandon says that gathering different pieces of Shards being Hoid's end goal is "a very good guess" and that "that is what the books seem to indicate is happening."  Interpret that as you will.