Best Thing You Learned Here

Dalakaar

Hey all 

Bit of a fun quick post. 

Curious what you think the best thing you learned about Stormlight was here.

i joined a couple weeks ago and am loving the well laid out theories and wealth of information. I was pondering myself all the little, and not so little, things I’ve learned and trying to decide what’s my favourite.

In my case I think just finding out that the books already had their perspectives allocated surprised me. I had no clue that information was out and available. It’s changed my view on how the series will progress dramatically. 

I’ve left the question vague for a purpose. You can decide what is “best” in your view. :) 

This isn't just relevant to just the Stormlight series but also mistborn touches on it, which shows the ups and downs of humanity. The beautifully illustrated characterisation of how a person can seem okay is actually suffering, how mental illness does not just "go" away and how a person can have so many flaws but they aren't defined by them. The aspect of religion is intricately written to portray both the good and bad, thus making me as a spiritual person understand what other people think and how a philosophy does not define a person as I once thought. The culture brings awareness at our own society, showing how it can be silly like a safe hand but culturally significant, thus telling us to be tolerant of others even if we think something is silly. I could go one but I'll sum my points with dot points that provide evidence of what I mean.

Characters created to be human being = humans as a whole

Characters with mental illness are not defined as someone with depression but by a name

Religion having flaws = every religion, Christianity, Judaism, Islamic, all of them have flaws 

Cultural understanding = Hanuka (if I spelt that right), wearing a Burka, wearing an American flag

(I'll be honest, I wanted to quote the religious themes in Mistborn in my religion essay to prove a point and wanted to quote stuff about war and the human suffering from Stormlight, it is academic quote worthy!)

Edited by Eris
I forgot a word that is in red

Best thing about Stormlight? The oaths and how they reach people from all walks of life. I honestly didn't connect with them until about this time last year, and then when I was in a dark place, certain scenes in Oathbringer were one of the few things that helped me out. 

Best things I learned about this forum? How many Kaladin x Jasnah shippers there are! I'm not alone in the world! But slightly more seriously I've really enjoyed all the theories this place has. And not just the super well thought-out ones, but the crackpot ones as well. I like those because they make rereads extra enjoyable. I end up looking for clues for those crackpot/tinfoil theories and it's really fun. 

This is actually just something I learned, doing some research for a Cosmere Character Roast.

I've always known that the SLA was incredibly well written and that Brandon is the master of the long game (with his amazing outlines), but the sheer subtlety of some of the foreshadowing is amazing, and the thematic parallelisms.

So I am looking up quotes from Taravangian, and in OB, during the scene where Dalinar and T are discussing the hanged man problem from the way of kings (where 3 people are guilty of murder and one person is innocent), T describes the utilitarian thinking behind his answer of "hang all 4". He basically says that ultimately the people in charge have to do reprehensible things for the good of the governed. And he has this line, which is complimentary yet functionally opposite of Dalinar's oath from the I am Unity moment:

The burden for the blood of those wronged must rest somewhere. I am the sacrifice...Someone has to fall that others may stand.

This is the story of two competing world views, both characters are struggling to do what they think is right, and what is super fantastic about this particular thread is that Dalinar wouldn't have been able to stand if T hadn't pursued his plan (which is most likely being orchestrated by Cultivation) fueled by the blood of the innocent.

Brilliant stuff.

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

I'm a sucker for discussing things ad nauseum, so for me, it's all the little details that the posters here draw out of the books. What brought me first to this forum was a thread about deciphering the Alethi women's script, and what made me stay were the WoBs upon WoBs upon WoBs, and all the discussion surrounding them and the anticipation for what's coming next.

12 minutes ago, Rasarr said:

what made me stay were the WoBs upon WoBs upon WoBs, and all the discussion surrounding them and the anticipation for what's coming next.

I simultaneously love and hate em. It feels like cheating to me but the wealth of information is useful and fun. For my part I think I’d hate having everything I say recorded and dissected like WoBs. They are undeniably interesting to read through though. 

Edited by Dalakaar

I think Sanderson might not be human. I love Kaladin's character ark, fighting the depression, blaming himself, feeling part of bridge 4 while simultaniously feeling apart from them, hating lighteyes yet seeing that some of them are good,etc. This character is incredibly complex and it might seem that Brandon has experienced this himself. But also you have Shallan, battling her demons, feeling guilt and coping with it creating personas, being in love with Adolin and attracted to Kaladin, acting like a kid around Jasnah, etc. And you have Dalinar, Jasnah, Navani, Adolin, Taravangian, Szeth,etc. All equally complex.

Brandon can't possibly have lived 10 lives, yet he is able to create characters that feel so real while being so diferent, he doesn't minimize any viewpoint, he has males, females, Lift who is basically a kid and he even makes spren like Syl and Pattern feel real.

He is just a genius, I don't know how he does this.

Edited by Xavier Iriarte

• Chaos locked this topic